Chanting how?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
unspoken

Chanting how?

Post by unspoken »

I would like to start to chant myself at home. I've downloaded chant books online and the chant mp3 to learn. But the thing is the chant is too much, i meant too many suttas and i do not know which comes after which one and which is compulsory to chant? And some chant I see the text with the verse where a leader will chant. So how am I going to do it? Chant the leader role or just skip that part. I'm quite confuse and hope someone have a clear guidelines on which sutta should I chant after another and do I chant the part of the leader as well?
Hanzze

Re: Chanting how?

Post by Hanzze »

Maybe this A Chanting Guide is useful.
Just that! *smile*
...We Buddhists must find the courage to leave our temples and enter the temples of human experience, temples that are filled with suffering. If we listen to Buddha, Christ, or Gandhi, we can do nothing else. The refugee camps, the prisons, the ghettos, and the battlefields will become our temples. We have so much work to do. ... Peace is Possible! Step by Step. - Samtach Preah Maha Ghosananda "Step by Step" http://www.ghosananda.org/bio_book.html

BUT! it is important to become a real Buddhist first. Like Punna did: Punna Sutta Nate sante baram sokham _()_
unspoken

Post by unspoken »

THanks but there are so many suttas there, do I chant all of it everyday? Is there any few as a standard or a must to chant?
Hanzze

Post by Hanzze »

No, that is just a set of one branch. I guess it is good to take what ever you think that is good. Homage/refuge (Buddhaṃ saraṇaṃ gacchāmi...) is always good as starter and then you maybe add a chant that seems to be good for you, maybe the metta sutta or any other (see blessings or other discorses) you like to chant or refelct on.
You also can include the taking of precepts if you wish.

What ever you chant, its much more importand that your mind is directed on the meaning (that means you do good to understand them well) of it made with much awarness and comes from heart even it is short.
Just that! *smile*
...We Buddhists must find the courage to leave our temples and enter the temples of human experience, temples that are filled with suffering. If we listen to Buddha, Christ, or Gandhi, we can do nothing else. The refugee camps, the prisons, the ghettos, and the battlefields will become our temples. We have so much work to do. ... Peace is Possible! Step by Step. - Samtach Preah Maha Ghosananda "Step by Step" http://www.ghosananda.org/bio_book.html

BUT! it is important to become a real Buddhist first. Like Punna did: Punna Sutta Nate sante baram sokham _()_
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

unspoken wrote:I would like to start to chant myself at home. I've downloaded chant books online and the chant mp3 to learn. But the thing is the chant is too much, i meant too many suttas and i do not know which comes after which one and which is compulsory to chant? And some chant I see the text with the verse where a leader will chant. So how am I going to do it? Chant the leader role or just skip that part. I'm quite confuse and hope someone have a clear guidelines on which sutta should I chant after another and do I chant the part of the leader as well?
If you are chanting on your own just chant the leaders line yourself, although if you are using a recording of the chanting let the recording say the first line if you wish.
without knowing what chanting book you have downloaded I am not sure as to what you have, but don't worry about chanting everything all the time, just do one sutta at a time.

don't try to learn everything at once, just learn one then move on but don't forget to practice what you have previously learnt.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
unspoken

Post by unspoken »

Thank you for all your replies, appreciate it.

Sukhi Hotu! :buddha2: