Bodhi watch... or waiting for the Anguttara

Theravāda in the 21st century - modern applications of ancient wisdom

Re: Bodhi watch... or waiting for the Anguttara

Postby SDC » Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:42 am

Just got a shipping confirmation. Says I will have it by the 26th! :woohoo:

EDIT - It has arrived!
User avatar
SDC
 
Posts: 1019
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:08 pm
Location: North Jersey

Re: Bodhi watch... or waiting for the Anguttara

Postby Moth » Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:55 pm

It's been delayed on Amazon :cry: Where did you order it from?
May you be happy. May you be a peace. May you be free from suffering.
http://www.everythingspirals.com
User avatar
Moth
 
Posts: 153
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:22 pm

Re: Bodhi watch... or waiting for the Anguttara

Postby David N. Snyder » Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:20 pm

http://www.wisdompubs.org/

http://www.wisdompubs.org/Pages/display ... n=&image=1

I got my copy. I like how it appears to have the PTS numbering equivalents written on the top of each page; that way I could eventually compare the translation with the older PTS edition. Haven't had time to go through it much yet, but I am sure it is a big improvement on the previous [PTS]translation.
User avatar
David N. Snyder
Site Admin
 
Posts: 8038
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:15 am
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada

Re: Bodhi watch... or waiting for the Anguttara

Postby dhammapal » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:33 am

The A.N. has made it Down Under! :) It even got delivered on a public holiday! :tongue:

I bought the 1934 PTS translation four months ago and I've been reading it right up until getting the new one to relieve my impatience (a form of anger). They only managed seven pages a day from July 2011 but reading the Preface I learned that there were some assistant translators involved so the translation wasn't finished in July 2011 after all. :coffee:

I've found good results come from opening at a random page although Bhikkhu Bodhi's Thematic Guide will be helpful.

With metta / dhammapal.
dhammapal
 
Posts: 663
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:23 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: Bodhi watch... or waiting for the Anguttara

Postby TessaHenley » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:38 pm

Hello!
I'm really new to this, and you all have me to interested. What exactly is the Anguttara? I see the abbreviations AN and SN everywhere. Can someone fill me in on what they are?

Much appreciated!
TessaHenley
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:06 pm

Re: Bodhi watch... or waiting for the Anguttara

Postby LonesomeYogurt » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:03 pm

TessaHenley wrote:Hello!
I'm really new to this, and you all have me to interested. What exactly is the Anguttara? I see the abbreviations AN and SN everywhere. Can someone fill me in on what they are?

Much appreciated!

The Anguttara is one of five Nikayas, or groups of suttas. Suttas are the vague equivalent of sermons. The five Nikayas are the Dingha, Majjhima, Samyutta (that's the SN you see around), Anguttara (AN), and Khuddaka.

Each Nikaya is between a thousand and four thousand pages long and contain hundreds of suttas.

The Nikayas are written in Pali, which is the ancient language in which the Buddha's teachings were first written.

Bhikkhu Bodhi is an American monk who is currently trying to translate the entire Suttapitika (literally "basket of suttas," referring to the entire collection of the Buddha's sermons) into English; he's already done the Majjhima, and Samyutta and we are all excited for the Anguttara to come out soon!
Gain and loss, status and disgrace,
censure and praise, pleasure and pain:
these conditions among human beings are inconstant,
impermanent, subject to change.

Knowing this, the wise person, mindful,
ponders these changing conditions.
Desirable things don’t charm the mind,
undesirable ones bring no resistance.

His welcoming and rebelling are scattered,
gone to their end,
do not exist.
- Lokavipatti Sutta

Stuff I write about things.
User avatar
LonesomeYogurt
 
Posts: 900
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:24 pm
Location: America

Re: Bodhi watch... or waiting for the Anguttara

Postby TessaHenley » Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:27 am

LonesomeYogurt wrote:
TessaHenley wrote:Hello!
I'm really new to this, and you all have me to interested. What exactly is the Anguttara? I see the abbreviations AN and SN everywhere. Can someone fill me in on what they are?

Much appreciated!

The Anguttara is one of five Nikayas, or groups of suttas. Suttas are the vague equivalent of sermons. The five Nikayas are the Dingha, Majjhima, Samyutta (that's the SN you see around), Anguttara (AN), and Khuddaka.

Each Nikaya is between a thousand and four thousand pages long and contain hundreds of suttas.

The Nikayas are written in Pali, which is the ancient language in which the Buddha's teachings were first written.

Bhikkhu Bodhi is an American monk who is currently trying to translate the entire Suttapitika (literally "basket of suttas," referring to the entire collection of the Buddha's sermons) into English; he's already done the Majjhima, and Samyutta and we are all excited for the Anguttara to come out soon!



Thank you! Thank you! Your insight is much appreciated!
TessaHenley
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:06 pm

Re: Bodhi watch... or waiting for the Anguttara

Postby xinuflux » Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:45 pm

I see the to-be-available-soon Kindle version is MORE?! expensive than the hardcopy. Amazon Lobha. http://www.amazon.com/The-Numerical-Discourses-Buddha-Translation/dp/1614290407
User avatar
xinuflux
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:50 am
Location: S. Eastern USA

Re: Bodhi watch... or waiting for the Anguttara

Postby Moth » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:23 pm

Kindle version seems to be down to $40.
May you be happy. May you be a peace. May you be free from suffering.
http://www.everythingspirals.com
User avatar
Moth
 
Posts: 153
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:22 pm

Re: Bodhi watch... or waiting for the Anguttara

Postby Ben » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:47 pm

Moth wrote:Kindle version seems to be down to $40.


Ah yes, but are the end notes hot-linked to the text??
I do love the kindle but I don't like the pain-in-the-backside routine of going to an end note and back again.
kind regards,

Ben
"One cannot step twice into the same river, nor can one grasp any mortal substance in a stable condition, but it scatters and again gathers; it forms and dissolves, and approaches and departs."

- Hereclitus


Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
User avatar
Ben
Site Admin
 
Posts: 16064
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:49 am
Location: Land of the sleeping gods

Re: Bodhi watch... or waiting for the Anguttara

Postby xinuflux » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:49 pm

Ben wrote:
Ah yes, but are the end notes hot-linked to the text??
I do love the kindle but I don't like the pain-in-the-backside routine of going to an end note and back again.
kind regards,



If I'm interpreting your question correctly, I would say yes because the Samyutta Kindle version had all its amazing end notes hyperlinked.

I'm hoping the accented characters (macrons, etc.) display correctly on all devices. Guess we won't know anything for sure until November 13 when it's available for download.
User avatar
xinuflux
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:50 am
Location: S. Eastern USA

Re: Bodhi watch... or waiting for the Anguttara

Postby mettafuture » Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:51 pm

Wow! I had no idea the AN had been published!

:clap:

Will be ordering very soon. Thank you for this thread.
User avatar
mettafuture
 
Posts: 364
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:13 pm

Previous

Return to Theravāda for the modern world

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests