About ego and animal compassion

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
IamJoy

About ego and animal compassion

Post by IamJoy »

Hello.

I'm wondering about how ego relates to how we feel about animals.

I understand the Buddhist doctrine about animals. But my query is about how your attitude towards animals changes (if it does) when your ego is reduced. There is a gulf between humans and animals, because humans believe that animals are less than they are and so are not worthy of 'rights' and are treated as property. I believe that one of the main reasons for this attitude is egotism, which gives humans an inflated sense of their own importance. Therefore, I'm wondering whether as people with reduced or absent egos Buddhists feel less of a gap between them and animals, and that animals feel more kindred to humans - almost that we are human-animals and they are animal-persons - we are actually the same.

My query isn't about doctine, it's about personal feelings and personal ego and how this relates to our feeling about animals.

Thank you very much.
DNS
Site Admin

Re: About ego and animal compassion

Post by DNS »

Interesting question/hypothesis. I would say it has more to do with upbringing, including religion. Many of us were raised into cultures, religions, that said God gave man dominion over animals, that animals are ours to do whatever we want to do to them, that they have no soul (and humans do have according to these beliefs). According to many beliefs animals were even created on a separate day from humans, no biological relationship whatsoever, let alone any spiritual relationship.

Biological evolution shows us that we are animals too, that we are mammals, we breast-feed our infants just like other mammals. Eastern philosophies and religions take it even further that we can be reborn as animals. So I would say it has more to do with culture, religion, and upbringing.
DAWN

Post by DAWN »

i give a nuriture for 2 outdoor cats of my neighbor, feeder for sparrows and also avery mounth i give money to WWF, and also vegan.

i concider them like peoples, and they concider me like one of them. But one week ago, oldier cat, bring to me a small dead chik... I hope he dont did it for me... :candle:
Sabbe dhamma anatta
We are not concurents...
I'am sorry for my english
Ryuejaku

Post by Ryuejaku »

IamJoy wrote:Hello.

I'm wondering about how ego relates to how we feel about animals.

I understand the Buddhist doctrine about animals. But my query is about how your attitude towards animals changes (if it does) when your ego is reduced. There is a gulf between humans and animals, because humans believe that animals are less than they are and so are not worthy of 'rights' and are treated as property. I believe that one of the main reasons for this attitude is egotism, which gives humans an inflated sense of their own importance. Therefore, I'm wondering whether as people with reduced or absent egos Buddhists feel less of a gap between them and animals, and that animals feel more kindred to humans - almost that we are human-animals and they are animal-persons - we are actually the same.

My query isn't about doctine, it's about personal feelings and personal ego and how this relates to our feeling about animals.

Thank you very much.
If i understood to an extent of what you posted.

My comment on it.

Egotistical people leaning on the arrogant side of the fence. Animals are inferior never are equal.

Egotistical people leaning on the more humble side of the fence or more martyr side of things. animals are superior to us for what ever reasons.

a Middle of the two is not really being concerned with superiority nor inferiority while being aware of the 2. they just like humans are just living their lives.

50-70 more not bad in no rush
Hanzze

Post by Hanzze »

It would be rarly that an animal acts out of compassion, it is also rarly under human as well. Compassion needs, or better is wisdom.

If a child for example shares some food with you, we can not really call it compassion but the perception might be how ever useful to remember if one has a source to remember on compassion.
When somebody is sorrowful and feels the need to help you, , we can not really call it compassion but the perception might be how ever useful to remember if one has a source to remember on compassion.

Of course it is mostly the ego, with let us believe in such things like animal compassion and sometimes it even gives rise to simply animal compassion.
Just that! *smile*
...We Buddhists must find the courage to leave our temples and enter the temples of human experience, temples that are filled with suffering. If we listen to Buddha, Christ, or Gandhi, we can do nothing else. The refugee camps, the prisons, the ghettos, and the battlefields will become our temples. We have so much work to do. ... Peace is Possible! Step by Step. - Samtach Preah Maha Ghosananda "Step by Step" http://www.ghosananda.org/bio_book.html

BUT! it is important to become a real Buddhist first. Like Punna did: Punna Sutta Nate sante baram sokham _()_