Mods, when you deny a "Discovering Therevada" post...

Tell us how you think the forum can be improved. We will listen.
SDC

Mods, when you deny a "Discovering Therevada" post...

Post by SDC »

...I thought you send an explanation why.
“Life is swept along, short is the life span; no shelters exist for one who has reached old age. Seeing clearly this danger in death, a seeker of peace should drop the world’s bait.” SN 1.3
mikenz66

Re: Mods, when you deny a "Discovering Therevada" post...

Post by mikenz66 »

Hi SDC,

The only thing we can easily do it tick a box. Usually I tick "off topic". Lately I have rejected the majority of the posts in that Forum, since what we want is a simple, straightforward, answer to the question. Any discussion, argument, posting as if one is trying to be the questioner's teacher, and so on, will probably be rejected.

All those things are fine on other areas, of course.

:anjali:
Mike
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

And when a moderator denies a post the system asks if we want to notify the poster of the denial and I think all mods. do click that box, but unfortunately I think the internal email notification system is not working right now. There are just strict guidelines in the Discovering Theravada sub-forum, but otherwise the posts, even the rejected ones are not bad in anyway, just not appropriate for the strict guidelines of that forum.
SDC

Post by SDC »

I thought what I said was brief, simple and quite on topic. I guess not. It does, however, say in the guidelines that we would be given an explanation via PM. Look, I really don't care just was expecting to see something. No worries.
“Life is swept along, short is the life span; no shelters exist for one who has reached old age. Seeing clearly this danger in death, a seeker of peace should drop the world’s bait.” SN 1.3
Ben

Post by Ben »

SDC wrote:I thought what I said was brief, simple and quite on topic. I guess not. It does, however, say in the guidelines that we would be given an explanation via PM. Look, I really don't care just was expecting to see something. No worries.
Not a problem. You are welcome to ask questions about this issue - or any others you may have.

I'm surprised you didn't receive feedback. I always click the check box to let the user know that their post was not approved and I always type a reason as to why the post was not approved. But as David says - perhaps its the result of the email module not working.

The forum is moderated strictly to the special guidelines for the discovering theravada forum. So, as Mike said, even seemingly good posts don't get approved if they do not comply with the guidelines.

I apologise if there is any hurt. I'm a real stickler for making sure that the moderation in the DT forum strictly complies to the special guidelines for the forum, as our moderators can attest. The reason is that i believe it is important for the forum to be focused on the needs of beginners and those new to the tradition so that they can receive good information that best suits their level of knowledge and interest.
kind regards,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Hanzze

Post by Hanzze »

Over all a very responsible and sensible work with a lot of danger of critice as well as mistakes, which needs its honore and gratefulness.
Just that! *smile*
...We Buddhists must find the courage to leave our temples and enter the temples of human experience, temples that are filled with suffering. If we listen to Buddha, Christ, or Gandhi, we can do nothing else. The refugee camps, the prisons, the ghettos, and the battlefields will become our temples. We have so much work to do. ... Peace is Possible! Step by Step. - Samtach Preah Maha Ghosananda "Step by Step" http://www.ghosananda.org/bio_book.html

BUT! it is important to become a real Buddhist first. Like Punna did: Punna Sutta Nate sante baram sokham _()_
Ben

Post by Ben »

Thanks, Hanzze!
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

Hanzze

Post by Hanzze »

"We will undertake & practice those qualities that make one a contemplative... so that the services of those whose robes, alms-food, lodging, and medicinal requisites we use will bring them great fruit & great reward."

— MN 39
from Lessons of gratitude
Just that! *smile*
...We Buddhists must find the courage to leave our temples and enter the temples of human experience, temples that are filled with suffering. If we listen to Buddha, Christ, or Gandhi, we can do nothing else. The refugee camps, the prisons, the ghettos, and the battlefields will become our temples. We have so much work to do. ... Peace is Possible! Step by Step. - Samtach Preah Maha Ghosananda "Step by Step" http://www.ghosananda.org/bio_book.html

BUT! it is important to become a real Buddhist first. Like Punna did: Punna Sutta Nate sante baram sokham _()_
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Ben wrote: I'm surprised you didn't receive feedback. I always click the check box to let the user know that their post was not approved and I always type a reason as to why the post was not approved. But as David says - perhaps its the result of the email module not working.
Unfortunately, there also seems to be almost no record kept if the post is not approved. I can see, for a short time, that someone has rejected a post, but not who it is from, or what it was about.

SDC, did you get no message at all? I can see that Ben did type in a message to you. If the mail isn't working, there isn't much that we can do.

Mike
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

Ben wrote:
SDC wrote:I thought what I said was brief, simple and quite on topic. I guess not. It does, however, say in the guidelines that we would be given an explanation via PM. Look, I really don't care just was expecting to see something. No worries.
Not a problem. You are welcome to ask questions about this issue - or any others you may have.

I'm surprised you didn't receive feedback. I always click the check box to let the user know that their post was not approved and I always type a reason as to why the post was not approved. But as David says - perhaps its the result of the email module not working.

Ben
I also had a post removed recently and received no explanation. I felt a little unwelcome thereafter, as if I was told in a subtle way to disappear, but decided not to care...
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

mikenz66 wrote:
Ben wrote: I'm surprised you didn't receive feedback. I always click the check box to let the user know that their post was not approved and I always type a reason as to why the post was not approved. But as David says - perhaps its the result of the email module not working.
Unfortunately, there also seems to be almost no record kept if the post is not approved. I can see, for a short time, that someone has rejected a post, but not who it is from, or what it was about.

SDC, did you get no message at all? I can see that Ben did type in a message to you. If the mail isn't working, there isn't much that we can do.

Mike
You could send an extra PM....
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Annapurna wrote: You could send an extra PM....
Yes, that's possible, but since there is no automatic way of doing it when a post is moved, or, apparently, in this case, that is a rather time-consuming option. I certainly do that if I think there would be some confusion. If you have a query, by all means PM a moderator.

Mike
Ben

Post by Ben »

Annapurna wrote:
Ben wrote:

Ben
I also had a post removed recently and received no explanation. I felt a little unwelcome thereafter, as if I was told in a subtle way to disappear, but decided not to care...
I can assure you, Anna, if you had posted in the DT forum and a post was not approved - you should have received notification with an explanation.
The fact that you had not received notification indicates there is a glitch with the system which we were all unaware of.
kind regards,

Ben

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

SDC

Post by SDC »

mikenz66 wrote:

Mike
No, I didn't receive anything. Like I said, it's really not a big deal. I was just curious. You guys do a great job and this is hardly cause for me cry foul.
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

Ben wrote:
Annapurna wrote:
I can assure you, Anna, if you had posted in the DT forum and a post was not approved - you should have received notification with an explanation.
The fact that you had not received notification indicates there is a glitch with the system which we were all unaware of.
kind regards,

Ben
Thank you Ben, that is good to know. ♥

A "glitch", isn't that the word used in the Matrix when they climbed upstairs...? :jumping: