Thought suppression by Samatha

The cultivation of calm or tranquility and the development of concentration
DAWN

Re: Thought suppression by Samatha

Post by DAWN »

He not becomes unweldy, just dhammas cant penetrate it, like a arrow that cant penetrate a castle, like a reflect cant penetrate a mirrow.

It arise, it pass away...
Sometimes, some toughts disapears in the very middle, just like th.....

It disapears like a darknes, when you enlight it with you mind :shock: In all suttas Mara goes away, he disapears, in the very moment when he understand that bhikkhu see him... :twisted: :arrow: :shock: :arrow: :evil: :arrow: :meditate:
Sabbe dhamma anatta
We are not concurents...
I'am sorry for my english
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

DAWN wrote:Actualy, this state of mind, when he dont captures nothink, when all that heppens lides down like a drop of rain on the lotus leaf, is very... is very free :roll:
When it's like this, the problem is not the mind, but a job that dont let you be released, be free , feel true happyness of calm.

Go forth is the solution. :roll:
what?
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
DAWN

Post by DAWN »

Cittasanto wrote:
DAWN wrote:Actualy, this state of mind, when he dont captures nothink, when all that heppens lides down like a drop of rain on the lotus leaf, is very... is very free :roll:
When it's like this, the problem is not the mind, but a job that dont let you be released, be free , feel true happyness of calm.

what?
Sorry for my english.

I would like to say in this post that this state of mind is very free. And when is free like that, the problem is not the mind that is free, but the job that forces us to put the collar back.
When your mind is stops, and boss, or other peoples want to make it run - is not good. So we should not make it run, but go forth, job, friends, all... Just live the simple life.

:namaste:
Sabbe dhamma anatta
We are not concurents...
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

DAWN wrote:to make it run - is not good.
This is neither good nor bad, in and of itself.
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
DAWN

Post by DAWN »

daverupa wrote:
DAWN wrote:to make it run - is not good.
This is neither good nor bad, in and of itself.
Yes you are reason.
But it can brings suffer to boss
Sabbe dhamma anatta
We are not concurents...
reflection

Post by reflection »

I don't know in which way your thoughts are suppressed, this can make a difference. It's not about suppressing, but more silencing.

If it's just silencing and your mind doesn't want to think because it likes the silence, that's great. A good indicator of whether you are suppresing or whether it's going well is the feeling you get out of meditation. If it feels good, I wouldn't cut back on the practice as some others suggested, but you may need to learn one or two tricks. A trick is to prepare the mind of what it's going to do. When you are going to do meditation, tell the mind you are going to do meditation. When you are going to work, tell your mind it's time to think again. That way you'll learn the difference between when thoughts need to be activated and when they do not. It may take a bit of getting used to, but this is the way to also tell your mind when to contemplate, to pick up a certain subject, when time is right. It's setting up sati on a specific task.

I found it works wonders. When at work, my mind is in thinking mode on a subject I want it to think on. When practicing meditation, it's not. (in general) It's quite useful and peaceful to be able switch your thoughts on and off.

According to MN20 if I recall correctly, such a control of the thought process is a result of meditation. But yeah, it's beneficial to learn how to program the mind, which in itself isn't the easiest thing in the world, but if you didn't know about this yet, I suggest you try it out. To learn how to do this is also useful in meditation as well, and I would also practice it inside of meditation. For example, telling the mind to pick up metta in a talkative or silent way, or to pick up the body/breath/pitisukkha etc. To pick up the body parts silently or with active thinking etc. Play around a bit to see how this works.

Ajahn Brahm teaches this under the name of "setting up the gatekeeper". It's explained here:
http://www.dhammatalks.net/Books/Ajahn_ ... ulness.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

With metta,
Reflection
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

DAWN wrote:
Cittasanto wrote:

what?
Sorry for my english.

I would like to say in this post that this state of mind is very free. And when is free like that, the problem is not the mind that is free, but the job that forces us to put the collar back.
When your mind is stops, and boss, or other peoples want to make it run - is not good. So we should not make it run, but go forth, job, friends, all... Just live the simple life.

:namaste:
that seams far from free, a free mind would not be constrained by what was recollected or the environment.

what you describe sounds something akin to blissing-out to some extent. but not being able to function completely to do tasks is potentially dangerous as there is a huge mental preoccupation which clouds sati functioning properly in other situations i.e. at work or driving a car.

you still need to function outside of formal meditation.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
DAWN

Post by DAWN »

Cittasanto wrote: that seams far from free, a free mind would not be constrained by what was recollected or the environment.
Yes. That i'am talking about.
When you stop but someone still to push you in the back. When you have no collar, but you forced to putt it back.
You dont identify with the things that heppens, but you are forced to identify with it, to react, to modify, to act, to think, to remember, to planify, ...

That i want to tell, is that, is not a practice that must be adoptate on job, but the job that must be adoptate on practice. :meditate:

IMHO
Sabbe dhamma anatta
We are not concurents...
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

DAWN wrote:
Cittasanto wrote: that seams far from free, a free mind would not be constrained by what was recollected or the environment.
Yes. That i'am talking about.
When you stop but someone still to push you in the back. When you have no collar, but you forced to putt it back.
You dont identify with the things that heppens, but you are forced to identify with it, to react, to modify, to act, to think, to remember, to planify, ...

That i want to tell, is that, is not a practice that must be adoptate on job, but the job that must be adoptate on practice. :meditate:

IMHO
there is more to do than bliss out. like the part of what I said you quote says it is far from free!

John Stuart Mill
DAWN

Post by DAWN »

Cittasanto wrote: there is more to do than bliss out. like the part of what I said you quote says it is far from free!
I you want
Sabbe dhamma anatta
We are not concurents...
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

DAWN wrote:
Cittasanto wrote: there is more to do than bliss out. like the part of what I said you quote says it is far from free!
I you want
what?

John Stuart Mill
DAWN

Post by DAWN »

Cittasanto wrote:
DAWN wrote:
I you want
what?
Sorry. I said :

'IF you want'
Sabbe dhamma anatta
We are not concurents...
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

DAWN wrote:'IF you want'
if you want nibbana you don't settle for Jhana alone

John Stuart Mill
DAWN

Post by DAWN »

Cittasanto wrote:
I dont want it
Sabbe dhamma anatta
We are not concurents...
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

DAWN wrote:
Cittasanto wrote:
I dont want it
you don't aim for nibbana?

John Stuart Mill