How to stop internet addiction?

An open and inclusive investigation into Buddhism and spiritual cultivation

How to stop internet addiction?

Postby DAWN » Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:58 pm

It easy to stop addiction to food, sex, art, cinema etc but it's wery hard to stop addiction to informtion, to internet.

Personly i feel that internet, have a bad influence on me, and also on other peoples. For exemple, in real life i will never say any critics about meat eating, i will never have any bad reaction or feel some anger about anything.

But in internet i have not the same behavour. And i remark that internet have a bad influence on other peoples, who in real was a absolutely wnderful peoples, but not here.

Why it is like this?
What is the reason of this bad influence?
If there is any solution to make internet more peacefull ?
If not, how to stop information addiction? For what reason we are addicted to information ?

:meditate:
Sabbe dhamma anatta
We are not concurents...
I'am sorry for my english
User avatar
DAWN
 
Posts: 801
Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:22 pm

Re: How to stop internet addiction?

Postby Cittasanto » Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:52 pm

DAWN wrote:It easy to stop addiction to food, sex, art, cinema etc but it's wery hard to stop addiction to informtion, to internet.

Personly i feel that internet, have a bad influence on me, and also on other peoples. For exemple, in real life i will never say any critics about meat eating, i will never have any bad reaction or feel some anger about anything.

But in internet i have not the same behavour. And i remark that internet have a bad influence on other peoples, who in real was a absolutely wnderful peoples, but not here.

Why it is like this?
What is the reason of this bad influence?
If there is any solution to make internet more peacefull ?
If not, how to stop information addiction? For what reason we are addicted to information ?

:meditate:

you are projecting onto others your issues here, you don't know if they are wonderful people; if they have the same problem; or if what they say should be taken in a different way than the words value.
you don't have to worry about being given a bloody nose or social humiliation on-line as you do in in-person scenarios so you are freer to say what you want to say with fewer constraints unless you want to restrain yourself.

ask yourself "Why am I saying this?"
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
With Metta
Upāsaka Cittasanto
Blog, - Some Suttas Translated, Ajahn Chah.
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."
User avatar
Cittasanto
 
Posts: 5739
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:31 pm
Location: Ellan Vannin

Re: How to stop internet addiction?

Postby m0rl0ck » Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:55 pm

Lets see, im on skype with a friend, logged in to dhammawheel chat, posting on the board and watching star trek tos episodes all at the same time and have been doing so since i got up five hours ago. Nope, no problem here :)
Joshu was asked,
"When a man comes to you with nothing,
what would you say to him ?"
Joshu replied, "Throw it away!"
User avatar
m0rl0ck
 
Posts: 1009
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:51 am

Re: How to stop internet addiction?

Postby David N. Snyder » Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:14 pm

It is a tool and like any tool can be used appropriately or inappropriately. When the internet first came out some monks went online and posted some teachings and communicated with lay people. At first this was seen very negatively because in the beginning days the internet had the reputation of being primarily for porn or other unwholesome things. This notion soon faded as the positive far out-weighed the negative. Monks and nuns and other teachers were able to reach more people, more information is out there, more old-time myths exposed, etc. In the past many people would just make stuff up, from obscure facts to whatever, but now anyone can easily be called out for such fraudulence with the information age.

DAWN wrote:Personly i feel that internet, have a bad influence on me,
But in internet i have not the same behavour.


It's good you recognize you have acted wrongly (if you have) and you can take that as a cue to be more careful in speech, which includes the written words.
User avatar
David N. Snyder
Site Admin
 
Posts: 8010
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:15 am
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada

Re: How to stop internet addiction?

Postby DAWN » Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:18 pm

Cittasanto wrote:you are projecting onto others your issues here, you don't know if they are wonderful people; if they have the same problem; or if what they say should be taken in a different way than the words value.
you don't have to worry about being given a bloody nose or social humiliation on-line as you do in in-person scenarios so you are freer to say what you want to say with fewer constraints unless you want to restrain yourself.


So you think is the security that is reason.Is not false.
Sabbe dhamma anatta
We are not concurents...
I'am sorry for my english
User avatar
DAWN
 
Posts: 801
Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:22 pm

Re: How to stop internet addiction?

Postby DAWN » Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:19 pm

m0rl0ck wrote:Lets see, im on skype with a friend, logged in to dhammawheel chat, posting on the board and watching star trek tos episodes all at the same time and have been doing so since i got up five hours ago. Nope, no problem here :)


And without this, it is possible?
Sabbe dhamma anatta
We are not concurents...
I'am sorry for my english
User avatar
DAWN
 
Posts: 801
Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:22 pm

Re: How to stop internet addiction?

Postby DAWN » Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:22 pm

David N. Snyder wrote:It is a tool and like any tool can be used appropriately or inappropriately. When the internet first came out some monks went online and posted some teachings and communicated with lay people. At first this was seen very negatively because in the beginning days the internet had the reputation of being primarily for porn or other unwholesome things. This notion soon faded as the positive far out-weighed the negative. Monks and nuns and other teachers were able to reach more people, more information is out there, more old-time myths exposed, etc. In the past many people would just make stuff up, from obscure facts to whatever, but now anyone can easily be called out for such fraudulence with the information age.

DAWN wrote:Personly i feel that internet, have a bad influence on me,
But in internet i have not the same behavour.


It's good you recognize you have acted wrongly (if you have) and you can take that as a cue to be more careful in speech, which includes the written words.


Why peoples need so much information?

Speach precept is one of the most difficults to preserve intactely. It's true.
Sabbe dhamma anatta
We are not concurents...
I'am sorry for my english
User avatar
DAWN
 
Posts: 801
Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:22 pm

Re: How to stop internet addiction?

Postby David N. Snyder » Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:30 pm

DAWN wrote:Why peoples need so much information?


Information leads to knowledge; which can lead to wisdom. Why live in the Dark Ages? The truth can set you free.
User avatar
David N. Snyder
Site Admin
 
Posts: 8010
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:15 am
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada

Re: How to stop internet addiction?

Postby DAWN » Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:48 pm

David N. Snyder wrote:
DAWN wrote:Why peoples need so much information?


Information leads to knowledge; which can lead to wisdom. Why live in the Dark Ages? The truth can set you free.


Hm. Perharps its true.
In my opinion and view, wisdom faculty is beyond knowledge, is the nature of 'knwoledging' it self. And also, in my opinion, truth is simple, and, by this simplisity, can be seen in all dhammas, cause the truth is their nature.

Its may be because of my views that i dont understand why internet is usefull.
Sabbe dhamma anatta
We are not concurents...
I'am sorry for my english
User avatar
DAWN
 
Posts: 801
Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:22 pm

Re: How to stop internet addiction?

Postby Cittasanto » Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:15 pm

DAWN wrote:
Cittasanto wrote:you are projecting onto others your issues here, you don't know if they are wonderful people; if they have the same problem; or if what they say should be taken in a different way than the words value.
you don't have to worry about being given a bloody nose or social humiliation on-line as you do in in-person scenarios so you are freer to say what you want to say with fewer constraints unless you want to restrain yourself.


So you think is the security that is reason.Is not false.

it is certainly something for you to consider!
would you call someone who is six foot two inches and built like a body builder who has been to prison several times for violence an inappropriate name or would you act differently face-to-face?
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
With Metta
Upāsaka Cittasanto
Blog, - Some Suttas Translated, Ajahn Chah.
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."
User avatar
Cittasanto
 
Posts: 5739
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:31 pm
Location: Ellan Vannin

Re: How to stop internet addiction?

Postby Hanzze » Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:42 am

If not, how to stop information addiction?

Observe abstaining from taking what is not given more deeply. Then it would be just up to your karma.
Just that! *smile*
...We Buddhists must find the courage to leave our temples and enter the temples of human experience, temples that are filled with suffering. If we listen to Buddha, Christ, or Gandhi, we can do nothing else. The refugee camps, the prisons, the ghettos, and the battlefields will become our temples. We have so much work to do. ... Peace is Possible! Step by Step. - Samtach Preah Maha Ghosananda "Step by Step" http://www.ghosananda.org/bio_book.html

BUT! it is important to become a real Buddhist first. Like Punna did: Punna Sutta Nate sante baram sokham _()_
User avatar
Hanzze
 
Posts: 1906
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:47 pm
Location: Cambodia

Re: How to stop internet addiction?

Postby ground » Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:48 am

DAWN wrote:It easy to stop addiction to food, sex, art, cinema etc but it's wery hard to stop addiction to informtion, to internet.

Personly i feel that internet, have a bad influence on me, and also on other peoples. For exemple, in real life i will never say any critics about meat eating, i will never have any bad reaction or feel some anger about anything.

But in internet i have not the same behavour. And i remark that internet have a bad influence on other peoples, who in real was a absolutely wnderful peoples, but not here.

Why it is like this?
What is the reason of this bad influence?

There is no bad influence. It is just that the sense impressions of what you call "real life" are missing when you are sitting before the screen.

DAWN wrote:If there is any solution to make internet more peacefull ?

Just be aware.

DAWN wrote:If not, how to stop information addiction? For what reason we are addicted to information ?

:meditate:

Distraction and seeking support for illusions generated by the felt self. E.g. buddhist internet forums like this one can fulfil the purpose of supporting self's illusion that it is true that there exists something that can be achieved and that is worthwhile striving for which in reality may just be self's greedy fabrication. How is this? In forums like this one you may get the impression that what you are thinking and fantasizing and longing for is right and true and worthwhile because there are so many other forum users that use the terms that you assign to your imaginations in the affirmative. :sage:
User avatar
ground
 
Posts: 2592
Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:01 am

Re: How to stop internet addiction?

Postby DAWN » Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:56 am

Cittasanto wrote:
DAWN wrote:
Cittasanto wrote:you are projecting onto others your issues here, you don't know if they are wonderful people; if they have the same problem; or if what they say should be taken in a different way than the words value.
you don't have to worry about being given a bloody nose or social humiliation on-line as you do in in-person scenarios so you are freer to say what you want to say with fewer constraints unless you want to restrain yourself.


So you think is the security that is reason.Is not false.

it is certainly something for you to consider!
would you call someone who is six foot two inches and built like a body builder who has been to prison several times for violence an inappropriate name or would you act differently face-to-face?


Actualy not, cause i'am boxer. But others peoples, perharps; uses it like some kind of protection of their body, of their identity, of theis ego.
But even if i was no boxer, like i mentioned in the first post, in realy life i'am very peacefull, even vhen peoples are very aggresive with me.
Actualy is the cause of this topic.

Why internet have such bad influence on peoples?
Sabbe dhamma anatta
We are not concurents...
I'am sorry for my english
User avatar
DAWN
 
Posts: 801
Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:22 pm

Re: How to stop internet addiction?

Postby Hanzze » Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:02 am

Why internet have such bad influence on peoples?

Do you have any effidence that it has more bad then good influence? Some even let go of it, for some it would or is the highest gain.
Just that! *smile*
...We Buddhists must find the courage to leave our temples and enter the temples of human experience, temples that are filled with suffering. If we listen to Buddha, Christ, or Gandhi, we can do nothing else. The refugee camps, the prisons, the ghettos, and the battlefields will become our temples. We have so much work to do. ... Peace is Possible! Step by Step. - Samtach Preah Maha Ghosananda "Step by Step" http://www.ghosananda.org/bio_book.html

BUT! it is important to become a real Buddhist first. Like Punna did: Punna Sutta Nate sante baram sokham _()_
User avatar
Hanzze
 
Posts: 1906
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:47 pm
Location: Cambodia

Re: How to stop internet addiction?

Postby DAWN » Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:04 am

Hanzze wrote:
If not, how to stop information addiction?

Observe abstaining from taking what is not given more deeply. Then it would be just up to your karma.


Actualy i dont care about my kamma, i dont build any plan about the future existance of my kamma. I prefere present moment.
But you are reason, i think i understand what o you whant to mean. I will meditate it.

So you think that this bad influence, and reason of information addiction of peoples is in not taking what is not given?
Sabbe dhamma anatta
We are not concurents...
I'am sorry for my english
User avatar
DAWN
 
Posts: 801
Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:22 pm

Re: How to stop internet addiction?

Postby DAWN » Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:13 am

ground wrote:Distraction and seeking support for illusions generated by the felt self.


Yes i think is that.
Peoples like wery much when their concsiousness is absorbed. When the ground is flooded you cant see that is hidden underwater, so peoples prefere flood it, but by flooding it there is vawes that arise.
Sabbe dhamma anatta
We are not concurents...
I'am sorry for my english
User avatar
DAWN
 
Posts: 801
Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:22 pm

Re: How to stop internet addiction?

Postby Digity » Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:16 am

I've struggled with internet addiction...it doesn't help that I have an ipad and can search anything, anywhere. Although, my addiction has died down. I eventually just got bored of the constant searching for crap. I'm less of an addict now, but I do have my moments where I can spend two hours or more on the net.
Digity
 
Posts: 558
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:13 am

Re: How to stop internet addiction?

Postby Hanzze » Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:17 am

So you think that this bad influence, and reason of information addiction of peoples is in not taking what is not given?

No, not in that way, but it has always impact on the conscience and is in that way a hindrence to further development of insight.

Regarding Kamma, maybe you like to read the 10 reflections of a Samana, as you are somehow on the way to it, or like to go in that direction.
Just that! *smile*
...We Buddhists must find the courage to leave our temples and enter the temples of human experience, temples that are filled with suffering. If we listen to Buddha, Christ, or Gandhi, we can do nothing else. The refugee camps, the prisons, the ghettos, and the battlefields will become our temples. We have so much work to do. ... Peace is Possible! Step by Step. - Samtach Preah Maha Ghosananda "Step by Step" http://www.ghosananda.org/bio_book.html

BUT! it is important to become a real Buddhist first. Like Punna did: Punna Sutta Nate sante baram sokham _()_
User avatar
Hanzze
 
Posts: 1906
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:47 pm
Location: Cambodia

Re: How to stop internet addiction?

Postby DAWN » Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:20 am

Hanzze wrote:
Why internet have such bad influence on peoples?

Do you have any effidence that it has more bad then good influence? Some even let go of it, for some it would or is the highest gain.


Yes.
I post it in the first post.

Iam waiting with impatience when i will be able to let it go. Cause i feel that it flood my mind, and actualy, by creating this topic, i would like to know if there is some one else who feel it.
But, as i see, there is nobody who feel danger in internet and information addiction.
Sabbe dhamma anatta
We are not concurents...
I'am sorry for my english
User avatar
DAWN
 
Posts: 801
Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:22 pm

Re: How to stop internet addiction?

Postby DAWN » Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:23 am

Digity wrote:I've struggled with internet addiction...it doesn't help that I have an ipad and can search anything, anywhere. Although, my addiction has died down. I eventually just got bored of the constant searching for crap. I'm less of an addict now, but I do have my moments where I can spend two hours or more on the net.


Oh yes me too... I'am tiried of all that information! I dont see any interest in it.
Sabbe dhamma anatta
We are not concurents...
I'am sorry for my english
User avatar
DAWN
 
Posts: 801
Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:22 pm

Next

Return to Open Dhamma

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Mr Man and 9 guests