Temple visit today

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Hickersonia

Temple visit today

Post by Hickersonia »

I made a visit to a Vietnamese Buddhist Temple today that is about 20 minutes from my home that done "prayers" / chanting on Sundays, a particularly convenient day for me since I don't have to work. While I didn't understand a bit of their chanting (all Vietnamese, no Pali), I was impressed by the devotion expressed by those who were there and am considering returning, if for no other reason than to attend the yoga course offered immediately preceding.

I was a little curious, however, as to any differences anyone here can think of between Theravada and that which is practiced (in general) by Vietnamese monks and nuns. In this particular case, there was a single nun present and, somewhat to my surprise, she ate with everyone at the lunch offered after the service (around 1PM). I guess I'm just curious if there are different Vinaya rules.

I am thinking about posting this question on Dharma Wheel, but I haven't done so yet (since this is sorta my "home" forum).

Thanks in advance for any insights. :)
Hickersonia
http://hickersonia.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of
throwing it at someone else; you are the one getting burned."
LonesomeYogurt

Re: Temple visit today

Post by LonesomeYogurt »

Was it Theravada or Mahayana? Both branches exist in Vietnam.
Gain and loss, status and disgrace,
censure and praise, pleasure and pain:
these conditions among human beings are inconstant,
impermanent, subject to change.

Knowing this, the wise person, mindful,
ponders these changing conditions.
Desirable things don’t charm the mind,
undesirable ones bring no resistance.

His welcoming and rebelling are scattered,
gone to their end,
do not exist.
- Lokavipatti Sutta

Stuff I write about things.
Hickersonia

Re: Temple visit today

Post by Hickersonia »

LonesomeYogurt wrote:Was it Theravada or Mahayana? Both branches exist in Vietnam.
Google identified it as Theravada but there was definitely Mahayana iconography present.

Don't know if that really helps. Ha!

I have gone ahead and posted this for discussion at Dharma Wheel just to see if anyone can offer me any thoughts or point me in the right direction for learning more. :)
Hickersonia
http://hickersonia.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of
throwing it at someone else; you are the one getting burned."