Sayagyi U Ba Khin/S. N. Goenka

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
Christopherxx

Sayagyi U Ba Khin/S. N. Goenka

Post by Christopherxx »

Hi guys!

I was wondering if anyone can provide a reading list for Sayagyi U Ba Khin's method and S. N. Goenka's variant. (I have heard they are slightly different?)

I have only found very basic info but was hoping that some of the posters may have a good idea to track down more "detailed and full" explanations of this insight technique much like the literature on the mahasi method which is so broad in it's depth and descriptive.

Thanks guys!
bodom

Re: Sayagyi U Ba Khin/S. N. Goenka

Post by bodom »

See http://www.pariyatti.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for an extensive collection of books available by both these teachers.

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
Christopherxx

Post by Christopherxx »

Any that are comprehensive?
gavesako

Post by gavesako »

I wonder if S.N. Goenka also advised meditators to share the merit of their practice in order to meet the future Buddha:
Sayagyi U Ba Khin repeated the Burmese tradition that those who live in accordance with these Teachings will meet Buddha Ari Metteyya. It is even believed that the coming Buddha's power will be such that he will be able to reach people who have lived up to the Teachings in this life but who have done deeds in the past which lead to their being born in lower realms before he comes. Some hints of this are found in Pali texts which show the power of sharing merits.
http://www.budsas.org/ebud/metteya/arimet00.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:buddha1:
Bhikkhu Gavesako
Kiṃkusalagavesī anuttaraṃ santivarapadaṃ pariyesamāno... (MN 26)

Access to Insight - Theravada texts
Ancient Buddhist Texts - Translations and history of Pali texts
Dhammatalks.org - Sutta translations
Ben

Post by Ben »

gavesako wrote:I wonder if S.N. Goenka also advised meditators to share the merit of their practice
Yes.
gavesako wrote:in order to meet the future Buddha
No.
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi Christopher,
Christopherxx wrote:Hi guys!

I was wondering if anyone can provide a reading list for Sayagyi U Ba Khin's method and S. N. Goenka's variant. (I have heard they are slightly different?)

I have only found very basic info but was hoping that some of the posters may have a good idea to track down more "detailed and full" explanations of this insight technique much like the literature on the mahasi method which is so broad in it's depth and descriptive.

Thanks guys!
No, there aren't any.
The reason is that the only way to learn the practice as taught by SN Goenka or Sayagi U Ba Khin is in the ideal environment of a ten-day course.
You can get copies of SN Goenka's Discourse Summaries and some of Sayagi U Ba Khin's writings but they don't go into any great detail as regards to the practice.
The difference between the methodology of U Ba Khin and SN Goenka is essentially inconsequential.
kind regards,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

Christopherxx

Post by Christopherxx »

Thanks Ben.

I should also ask to the members as well as practitioners does this method find home in the suttas.

I'd love to hear the opinions of some of the senior members.

I know so little of this tradition. I just wonder if it's more modern variation as much of the modern practice seems to be or if is in route with classical/orthodox theravada.

:) with metta
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi Chris,
Christopherxx wrote:Thanks Ben.

I should also ask to the members as well as practitioners does this method find home in the suttas.

I'd love to hear the opinions of some of the senior members.

I know so little of this tradition. I just wonder if it's more modern variation as much of the modern practice seems to be or if is in route with classical/orthodox theravada.

:) with metta
I'm pretty sure this and similar questions have been asked before and its generated quite a bit of discussion. If you search for it, you'll find it.
If you haven't already done so, you may wish to read Ven Analayo's Satipatthana: the direct path to realization.
kind regards,

Ben

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

thepea

Post by thepea »

I came across this today online, this may have already been posted here in another topic. It may help smooth over some of the differences regarding the importance placed on vedana within this tradition.

http://youtu.be/msXjXiAOuWE

The second half is some questions and answers from S.N Goenka, I could not separate the two. Enjoy.