Question about the term "revulsion" in this sutta quote

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
m0rl0ck

Question about the term "revulsion" in this sutta quote

Post by m0rl0ck »

It seems to me that "revulsion" as it is used below cant be the common everyday revulsion as the term is usually used, because revulsion is aversion and aversion is attachment.
Bhikkhus, the seven factors of awakening, when developed and cultivated, lead to utter revulsion, to cessation, to peace, to direct knowledge, to bodhi, to nibbana. SN v 82
So my question is what is the pali term translated here as "revulsion" and are there alternate translations of the pali term?

Thanks
“The truth knocks on the door and you say, "Go away, I'm looking for the truth," and so it goes away. Puzzling.” ― Robert M. Pirsig
Hanzze

Re: Question about the term "revulsion" in this sutta quote

Post by Hanzze »

Ground explained it (the issue) very well some days ago. Letting go of things, do not aspect them as useful, can somehow seems to be leaded by aversion for "normal" people. Maybe I find his words.

It was in regard of "aversion" about sexual contact:
ground wrote:I would not express it that way. It is just that (sex) pleasure is becoming unattractive if one follows the teachings of the Buddha in a certain way. If one finds it unattractive and expresses this with speech those clinging to (sex) pleasure may perceive this to be aversion or morally judgemental. But that misperception is only the consequence of language perception being merged with feelings.
Just that! *smile*
...We Buddhists must find the courage to leave our temples and enter the temples of human experience, temples that are filled with suffering. If we listen to Buddha, Christ, or Gandhi, we can do nothing else. The refugee camps, the prisons, the ghettos, and the battlefields will become our temples. We have so much work to do. ... Peace is Possible! Step by Step. - Samtach Preah Maha Ghosananda "Step by Step" http://www.ghosananda.org/bio_book.html

BUT! it is important to become a real Buddhist first. Like Punna did: Punna Sutta Nate sante baram sokham _()_
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

See this topic:
http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.ph ... 39&start=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:anjali:
Mike
LonesomeYogurt

Post by LonesomeYogurt »

m0rl0ck wrote:So my question is what is the pali term translated here as "revulsion" and are there alternate translations of the pali term?

Thanks
The Pali term is "nibbidaa" and it is often rendered as "disenchantment" or "disillusion" as well as the more dramatic "revulsion."
Gain and loss, status and disgrace,
censure and praise, pleasure and pain:
these conditions among human beings are inconstant,
impermanent, subject to change.

Knowing this, the wise person, mindful,
ponders these changing conditions.
Desirable things don’t charm the mind,
undesirable ones bring no resistance.

His welcoming and rebelling are scattered,
gone to their end,
do not exist.
- Lokavipatti Sutta

Stuff I write about things.
m0rl0ck

Post by m0rl0ck »

Very helpful, thanks all.
“The truth knocks on the door and you say, "Go away, I'm looking for the truth," and so it goes away. Puzzling.” ― Robert M. Pirsig
dhammapal

Post by dhammapal »

Thanissaro Bhikkhu wrote:So for (the Buddha), the purpose of the meditation is not to celebrate oneness or to celebrate acceptance. It's to develop two very different kinds of emotions: disenchantment and dispassion. The Pali word for disenchantment, nibbida, also means distaste, disgust, or revulsion, which may sound strong, but it needs to be strong. It's an antidote to our strong attachment to feeding on (sensual pleasures). That attachment, the Buddha said, is the essence of suffering. The word upadana, which means clinging, also means the act of eating, of taking sustenance. He says that upadana lies at the essence of suffering and stress. So what we need to learn is how to look at the things we feed on until we develop a strong sense that we don't want to feed on them any more.
With metta / dhammapal.
Assaji

Post by Assaji »

LonesomeYogurt wrote:The Pali term is "nibbidaa" and it is often rendered as "disenchantment" or "disillusion" as well as the more dramatic "revulsion."
It literally means "disgust": http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=5562" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;