Is Theravada too conservative for the youth?

Organisational work, teaching, Sunday school syllabus, charitable work, outreach, sharing of resources, artwork, etc.
Hanzze

Re: Is Theravada too conservative for the youth?

Postby Hanzze » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:07 am

What brings me back to "often because of the personality and charisma of the Lama". Is it really needed to feed the desire of people? I mean, actually most do not really seek for the teachings of the Buddha when joining a community. Think on origami coures, how many go there just to learn origami techniques?
Just that! *smile*

BUT! it is important to become a real Buddhist first. Like Punna did: Nate sante baram sokham _()_

DAWN

Postby DAWN » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:12 am

Sabbe dhamma anatta
We are not concurents...

Hanzze

Postby Hanzze » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:38 am

Just that! *smile*

BUT! it is important to become a real Buddhist first. Like Punna did: Nate sante baram sokham _()_

gavesako

Postby gavesako » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:32 pm

Bhikkhu Gavesako
Kiṃkusalagavesī anuttaraṃ santivarapadaṃ pariyesamāno... (MN 26)

- Theravada texts
- Translations and history of Pali texts
- Sutta translations

Hanzze

Postby Hanzze » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:55 pm

"Great" to see such actions, it's just from what I have seen, that especial in south east asia it is a fact, that Buddhist Monks lead people to the forest, then the people are attracted by the forest (food, trees, land...), then they start to build first of all a Wat, then a street, then they start to sattle and after that another forset is gone.

As that is very good adjustable with doing merits while gaining material things as well, it has become a usuall way of benefiting both, ther religion and the economy.

The history of such action is as old as the hype of deforstration in Thailand (like in all other countries in SEA) and so far had no effects but leaded to much conflicts as well as many victims even under the monks.

It might be in some cases possible and good but in general it's a wise thing to remember: "When ever you have seen something beautiful, never, never, only talk about it."

There is planty of advangers industy for such "needs" and for sure no need to get involved as a Monk.

I guess we have also "good" samples of Buddhist tourism and destruction of the enviroment in the Himalaya for example. That is simply not a good idea.
Just that! *smile*

gavesako

Postby gavesako » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:42 pm

A nice video with Ajahn Paisal Visalo who explains how he helps wider society in his life:

New Heart New World
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8A4W_61Atg
Bhikkhu Gavesako
Kiṃkusalagavesī anuttaraṃ santivarapadaṃ pariyesamāno... (MN 26)

- Theravada texts
- Translations and history of Pali texts
- Sutta translations

Hanzze

Postby Hanzze » Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:35 am

Just that! *smile*

Paribbajaka

Postby Paribbajaka » Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:47 am

May all beings be happy!

Anagarika

Postby Anagarika » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:39 pm

There has been some progress bringing meditation into classrooms for example. In this way, children are learning principles of mindfulness meditation (samatha-vipassana). http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-18563_162-5 ... ag=twitter

Theravada can fulfill an important role in this mindfulness evolution by being the centerpoint for the Buddha's actual breath meditation training. The suttas that we are familiar with, ie Satipatthana, can be a great place to focus these teachings for children and young people. I do feel that contemporary Theravada teachers, such as Ven. Thanissaro, Ven Brahmavamso, can be especially helpful in bringing Theravada Dhamma via youtube to young people.

drifting cloud

Postby drifting cloud » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:12 pm

Speaking as a or at any rate as a "young adult" (20 something), I would have to say....no.

Benjamin

Postby Benjamin » Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:34 pm

"Don't believe everything you read."
-The Buddha

polarbear101

Postby polarbear101 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:44 pm

Not sure what qualifies as youth here but I'm 22 and I chose theravada because it seems to me to be the only tradition that an educated person would choose if they really want to follow the teaching of the historical Buddha. I don't think the tradition needs more Ajahn Brahmavamso's telling jokes, the tradition needs more Ajahn Brahmali's, that guy is probably the most sincere sounding bhikkhu I've ever listened to. Not that anything is wrong with Ven. Brahmavamso I just don't personally have much affinity for his style of presentation. But yeah, if it is the case that the Theravada tradition seems to be less capable of attracting young people it's because there aren't enough bhikkhu's out there who actually know how to inspire people, but being an inspiring orator isn't the job of monastics anyway. It could also be that young people just like all the neat mystical stuff found in mahayana and vajrayana. Maybe the idea of becoming a bodhisatta who's going to save the entire universe is just more appealing than becoming an unknown recluse off in an unimportant part of the world working to realize the end of all this aimless wandering. Maybe those traditions just seem cooler to peoples' imaginations and if that's the case, then so be it.

:broke:
"I don't envision a single thing that, when developed & cultivated, leads to such great benefit as the mind. The mind, when developed & cultivated, leads to great benefit."

"I don't envision a single thing that, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about such suffering & stress as the mind. The mind, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about suffering & stress."

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:56 pm

"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead" - Thomas Paine

Benjamin

Postby Benjamin » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:07 pm

Not that we're the holy indicator of how Therevada is doing or anything, but hasn't Dhamma Wheel been up on the rise with members and posts and such? Not specifically a comment regarding the youth but maybe a good indicator of overall interest.
-The Buddha

Benjamin

Postby Benjamin » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:15 pm

Also, seeing as I don't believe we have too many members younger than myself (19), I'd like to comment on the "youth" idea.

Speaking from a western context, I don't know too many individuals who had a great interest in any type of Buddhism before their later teens at the earliest. Maybe a question like this is better focused on countries where lay Buddhists are a majority, but in my experience all the Buddhist schools in the west have little influence on the youth at large. Not their fault, just the nature of the culture.
-The Buddha

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:27 pm

"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead" - Thomas Paine

Return to “Dhammaduta (Dhamma propagation)”