Buddhist Meditation Centres in Melbourne?

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
Yana

Buddhist Meditation Centres in Melbourne?

Post by Yana »

Hi everyone,

I was just wondering if any of you know a Theravadan Buddhist meditation Centre or a temple or somewhere where i can learn the dhamma in Melbourne,Australia?
I think it's time i joined some kind of sangha.
I live in the Eastern suburbs but i don't mind anywhere in the CBD.I checked a few temples and i think it's a bit far off for me (in the western suburbs).

Anyways if you have any you know off or are currently attending please let me know..Thanks. :anjali:
Life is preparing for Death
cooran

Re: Buddhist Meditation Centres in Melbourne?

Post by cooran »

Hello Yana,

Here is a start (I personally would ignore the Dhammakaya site):

http://www.buddhanet.info/wbd/search.ph ... =theravada" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi Yana,
Also a centre within my own tradition:

http://www.aloka.dhamma.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

kind regards,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Dan74

Post by Dan74 »

Hi Yana, i didnt know you were in Melbourne!

The one I am familiar with the most is Buddhist Society of Victoria in Malvern. It might be worthwhile checking Retro's thread as he describes some of the temples he considered ordaining.

Good luck and maybe see you around!
_/|\_
James the Giant

Post by James the Giant »

Yana wrote: I live in the Eastern suburbs but i don't mind anywhere in the CBD.I checked a few temples and i think it's a bit far off for me (in the western suburbs).
Yeah, the only ones I know are the BSV (very good) in East Malvern, and Manohara in Plenty, which is also quite far away from you and also mostly aimed at Burmese immigrants and other asian folk, to be honest. But they do run some good 10 day and month long retreats in the mahasi style.
The only ones in the west that I know of are mahayana.
Then,
saturated with joy,
you will put an end to suffering and stress.
SN 9.11
zavk

Post by zavk »

Hi Yana

Definitely check out the BSV http://bsv.net.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They have regular activities and every now and then that would have visiting Bhikkhus. Also, there is Bodhivana Monastery of the Thai Forest tradition in Warburton. The abbot is Ajahn Kalyano. It's a bit of a drive, so maybe it could be somewhere you visit occasionally to give alms. That's what I'm planning to do myself, hopefully in a few weeks
With metta,
zavk
James the Giant

Post by James the Giant »

zavk wrote:Also, there is Bodhivana Monastery of the Thai Forest tradition in Warburton. The abbot is Ajahn Kalyano.
Yes, that's one to check out if you have a free weekend and would like to stay at a proper monastery and see what goes on there. They always welcome guests staying (outside the rains retreat, which ends mid October). Give Ajahn Kalyano a phone call to arrange it on (03) 5966 5999.
They are at 780 Woods Point Road, East Warburton, and there's a bus which goes right to the gate.
(Train to Lilydale, then the bus to 780 Woods Point Road)
I stayed there for two weeks, and it was great. I might ordain there if I don't find a better place.
There would be no formal teaching for lay-people, but you'd soak up the vibes and maybe read some books, and ask the monks questions.
Then,
saturated with joy,
you will put an end to suffering and stress.
SN 9.11
zavk

Post by zavk »

:smile:

Yup as it turns out that's exactly what I'm planning to do. For the past couple of years I've been flying up north for week long retreats in QLD with Bhante Dhammasiha at Dhammagiri where Cooran attends. Sounds like the environment at Bodhivana is quite similar. Bhante Dhammasiha has suggested several times that I pay Ajahn Kalyano a visit. Couldn't visit Brissy this year so, well, Warburton is only about an hours drive from where I am!
With metta,
zavk
pilgrim

Post by pilgrim »

Not a retreat centre, but there is Vimokkharama, a small hermitage at 29 Perrins Creek Rd, Kallista, which is nearer to the city. A couple of monks , also of the Ajahn Chah group stays here.
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Yana,

I'm in Werribee, but alas there is nothing here on this side of town.

Cooran's link might help you find something near you.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Hanzze

Post by Hanzze »

Seems like this tread has much pontential to found maybe one new. Just a thought. Monks can not easy wander if there is no place to dwell some days as well.
Just that! *smile*
...We Buddhists must find the courage to leave our temples and enter the temples of human experience, temples that are filled with suffering. If we listen to Buddha, Christ, or Gandhi, we can do nothing else. The refugee camps, the prisons, the ghettos, and the battlefields will become our temples. We have so much work to do. ... Peace is Possible! Step by Step. - Samtach Preah Maha Ghosananda "Step by Step" http://www.ghosananda.org/bio_book.html

BUT! it is important to become a real Buddhist first. Like Punna did: Punna Sutta Nate sante baram sokham _()_
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
Hanzze wrote:Seems like this tread has much pontential to found maybe one new. Just a thought. Monks can not easy wander if there is no place to dwell some days as well.
Yes ~ to anyone looking to start a Theravada monestary in Melbourne... please build it in Werribee. I'll bring you something to eat.

:thanks:

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Hanzze

Post by Hanzze »

To give a room or a little hut would be quite enought. No need to build and with it more food for monks and people observing even 1o Silas.
Just that! *smile*
...We Buddhists must find the courage to leave our temples and enter the temples of human experience, temples that are filled with suffering. If we listen to Buddha, Christ, or Gandhi, we can do nothing else. The refugee camps, the prisons, the ghettos, and the battlefields will become our temples. We have so much work to do. ... Peace is Possible! Step by Step. - Samtach Preah Maha Ghosananda "Step by Step" http://www.ghosananda.org/bio_book.html

BUT! it is important to become a real Buddhist first. Like Punna did: Punna Sutta Nate sante baram sokham _()_
Yana

Post by Yana »

Hi guys!

Thanks for the info! yeahh i am pretty much alone on this one so needed a bit of help. :tongue:
I work in Laverton and take public transport everywhere! grr.. so Weribee don't seem like a bad idea ahaha.maybe after work thing ..i wouldn't really mind if there was one in that area too.But yeah i'll give it all a read and hopefully find something that suits me.

I saw the Dhammakaya website but i thought i should ask around here first.

Thanks everyone :anjali: :group:
Life is preparing for Death
Assaji

Post by Assaji »

Hi Yana,

You may also find useful:

http://dhamma.ru/sadhu/directory?catid=137" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:namaste: