Other conditions today???

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Cittasanto

Re: Other conditions today???

Post by Cittasanto »

Hi Dave,
apart from certain differences I think we agree there are no substantial differences which drastically changes the ability to train in the Buddhas path today and get full results, more than (what I will call) aesthetic differences, which can cause at any point in time problems in understanding aspects of the training.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Alex123

Post by Alex123 »

Cittasanto wrote:Hi Dave,
apart from certain differences I think we agree there are no substantial differences which drastically changes the ability to train in the Buddhas path today and get full results, more than (what I will call) aesthetic differences, which can cause at any point in time problems in understanding aspects of the training.

Those conditions that Dave has outlined are very important. Suttas were aimed at an audience that had a certain cultural things that we do not have today. They may have been able to understand what the Buddha has said much better than us, who do not know pali and do not know idiomatic expressions, and manner of speech.

Furthermore, there may have been a very deep non-verbal communication. I am sure that seeing and hearing the Buddha may have been 99% of sutta's effectiveness. Certain things you can't put in writing.

People where much tougher during those times than today. They didn't have all the luxuries that we have today. They also didn't have as many available entertainments (distractions) as we have today.

These are very important differences in conditions.
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Alex123 wrote: Those conditions that Dave has outlined are very important. Suttas were aimed at an audience that had a certain cultural things that we do not have today. They may have been able to understand what the Buddha has said much better than us, who do not know pali and do not know idiomatic expressions, and manner of speech.
Certainly, but language barrier is nothing new, and from a textual basis is there from the start, it may not be the same degree of barrier but it is still a barrier. and this barrier can be bridged still.
Furthermore, there may have been a very deep non-verbal communication. I am sure that seeing and hearing the Buddha may have been 99% of sutta's effectiveness. Certain things you can't put in writing.
what is said is only a small part of any communication, however in all likelihood those hearing the words (particularly monastics) would of used them as meditative instruction to follow as they were being given. and as memorising the discourses is found in the canon, it is probably to use as instruction also.
People where much tougher during those times than today. They didn't have all the luxuries that we have today. They also didn't have as many available entertainments (distractions) as we have today.
being used to a particular comfort level does not show toughness. people don't die with any less amount of injury than then, as far as I know.
they certainly had distractions, and concerns to deal with. they may not of had all the exact same concerns, or work but a personal life didn't start recently and they would of distracted themselves in various ways.

one reason why dana is prevalent in Asia maybe as a distraction, doing something in the hope that it will bring ease and this before modern luxury and entertainment. it is quite likely meditating lay-people were quite common among the disciples when you consider the references to anatapindika... and the disciple who had followers and only got ordained and stove for enlightenment due to his followers copying and ending up being on a par with him (AN I think??)

I have spend quite a while in a situation I am glad I am not in now, sleeping on nothing but a carpeted floor and a gym mat each for a few months, under nothing but a tree, under a bridge and in a cave for a couple of nights. none of that means I am tougher than another because of it. what I am willing to accept as a comfort level it lower than some peoples.
These are very important differences in conditions.
[/quote]
not really. like I said initially "I personally see no difference on the practical level and the level of the teaching, sure externally we have different means of distracting, pleasuring, & harming ourselves and others, but on the level of practice it is the same from my perspective." nothing has changed or given rise to a re-evaluation of this.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Hanzze

Post by Hanzze »

It is not wise to think that conditions are always the same, one could miss a importand chance, resting on "the conditions are always the same" (which is simply nonsens). When this is, is that and from the arising of this comes the arising of that.

So when ever you have the possibility use them, they might fade away. And when ever you don't have the possibilities, work on better condition. There is no better tomorow when you do not invest in better condition yet, and yet.

It could be that one is a not so blessed person yet:

* A person who is certain of regaining health in due time even though he does not take any medicine or treatment.
* A person who is certain of failing to make a recovery, and dying from the illness, no matter to what extent he may take medicines or treatment.
* A person who will recover if he takes the right medicine and treatment, but who will fail to recover and die if he fails to take the right medicine and treatment.

So see that would be a possibility to change ones conditions.
Just that! *smile*
...We Buddhists must find the courage to leave our temples and enter the temples of human experience, temples that are filled with suffering. If we listen to Buddha, Christ, or Gandhi, we can do nothing else. The refugee camps, the prisons, the ghettos, and the battlefields will become our temples. We have so much work to do. ... Peace is Possible! Step by Step. - Samtach Preah Maha Ghosananda "Step by Step" http://www.ghosananda.org/bio_book.html

BUT! it is important to become a real Buddhist first. Like Punna did: Punna Sutta Nate sante baram sokham _()_
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Hanzze wrote:It is not wise to think that conditions are always the same, one could miss a importand chance, resting on "the conditions are always the same" (which is simply nonsens). When this is, is that and from the arising of this comes the arising of that.

So when ever you have the possibility use them, they might fade away. And when ever you don't have the possibilities, work on better condition. There is no better tomorow when you do not invest in better condition yet, and yet.

It could be that one is a not so blessed person yet:

* A person who is certain of regaining health in due time even though he does not take any medicine or treatment.
* A person who is certain of failing to make a recovery, and dying from the illness, no matter to what extent he may take medicines or treatment.
* A person who will recover if he takes the right medicine and treatment, but who will fail to recover and die if he fails to take the right medicine and treatment.

So see that would be a possibility to change ones conditions.
have a look at retro & my first responses (other than the OP)
although your points (*) are no different/trueer today than at any other time.

John Stuart Mill
Hanzze

Post by Hanzze »

Oh, this are not my point, but maybe that is the reason why they are not "different/trueer today than at any other time" but to get this ones conditions need to be right prepared and that might be sometimes the reason for impossibility to gain further understanding.

But off-topic, how are you today? How are you conditions today? You sound a little more relaxed.
Just that! *smile*
...We Buddhists must find the courage to leave our temples and enter the temples of human experience, temples that are filled with suffering. If we listen to Buddha, Christ, or Gandhi, we can do nothing else. The refugee camps, the prisons, the ghettos, and the battlefields will become our temples. We have so much work to do. ... Peace is Possible! Step by Step. - Samtach Preah Maha Ghosananda "Step by Step" http://www.ghosananda.org/bio_book.html

BUT! it is important to become a real Buddhist first. Like Punna did: Punna Sutta Nate sante baram sokham _()_
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Hanzze wrote:Oh, this are not my point, but maybe that is the reason why they are not "different/trueer today than at any other time" but to get this ones conditions need to be right prepared and that might be sometimes the reason for impossibility to gain further understanding.

But off-topic, how are you today? How are you conditions today? You sound a little more relaxed.
points can also mean bullet points.

although what you say sounds like putting forth effort and that still falls under the above.

John Stuart Mill
Hanzze

Post by Hanzze »

Cittasanto wrote:points can also mean bullet points.
Yes, did you mean something different?
Three Types of Individuals
In the same Pitakas referred to above, the Buddha gave another classification of beings, dividing them into three classes according as they resembled three kinds of sick persons. The three kinds of sick persons are:
You can look -> here.
although what you say sounds like putting forth effort
Unshakeable, yes. So how are you conditions today? Let us work on better, and we can do it even together without the need that somebody looks for the other.
Just that! *smile*

Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

I meant bullet points hence the (*) next to points above.
please learn the difference between circumstances and conditions and look at the post by myself under your linked post.
So how are you conditions today?
none of your business.

:focus:

John Stuart Mill
Hanzze

Post by Hanzze »

I am not so smart and/or maybe unconcentrated, so let me try again:
Three Types of Individuals
In the same Pitakas referred to above, the Buddha gave another classification of beings, dividing them into three classes according as they resembled three kinds of sick persons. The three kinds of sick persons are:

These are the three kinds of sick persons.

Persons who obtained niyata vyakarana (sure prediction made by a Buddha) from previous Buddhas, and who as such are certain of obtaining release from worldly ills in this life, resemble the first class of sick persons.
and let us read the flow (starting here) one more time. I am sure that betters our both condition, everybody for him self with much patience, non-harming, loving kindness and caring! (for others)

I don't believe in constant condition, so I will not give up. Every day, even every moment a new try for a better condition.
Last edited by Hanzze on Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Just that! *smile*

Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

as already pointed out these are irrelivant to the thread, as they do not show in any way a difference between now and 2500 years ago.
you should start a new thread if you wish to discuss this.

John Stuart Mill
Hanzze

Post by Hanzze »

Do you think we would have had the possibility to care for each other via PC 2500 years ago? But you are right, even we would have care for each other 2500 years ago, it could be that our conditions would have been the same (shown in the (*)). Did you mean that? Damn, so how can we change our conditions today? So you think we have no way out?

How was the condition in your country 2500 years ago? How was your own 2500 years ago?
Just that! *smile*

Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Hanzze wrote:Do you think we would have had the possibility to care for each other via PC 2500 years ago? But you are right, even we would have care for each other 2500 years ago, it could be that our conditions would have been the same (shown in the (*)). Did you mean that? Damn, so how can we change our conditions today? So you think we have no way out?

How was the condition in your country 2500 years ago? How was your own 2500 years ago?
a computer does not effect the level of the teachings are pointing at.
instead of insinuating rubbish start a new thread open to the discussion you are wanting to have!

John Stuart Mill
Hanzze

Post by Hanzze »

Actually I think its a gratidute problem that is easy caused by thinking that the conditions are always the same and can waste a blessed situation, so I think its very worthy to go on here.

So why you like to reject that you/we/somebody else have other condition today as 2500 year ago?
Just that! *smile*

Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Hanzze wrote:Actually I think its a gratidute problem that is easy caused by thinking that the conditions are always the same and can waste a blessed situation, so I think its very worthy to go on here.
not in the slightest.
because it is not something different at any time.
So why you like to reject that you/we/somebody else have other condition today as 2500 year ago?
that is what this thread is about, and nothing has been shown to sugest that on the level of the teachings and practice is actually different which isn't accounted for at any time.
so off topic is the continued insistance without evidence. please stop posting circular arguments insisting the same thing which started on page one.

John Stuart Mill