Ideas for a strong oath

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Hanzze

Re: Ideas for a strong oath

Post by Hanzze »

I guess we can see 'ceremony' and 'blood oath' very dramatic. A strong resolve is nothing bad. I guess PP searches more for a reminder and lesser for freaky rituals with the knife in the hand. But it's maybe good to point that out, crazy things happen everywhere.

Generally that is a very interesting phenomena. If for example people form the modern world come to Asia and see people sleeping on the street, they are shocked, touched and feel quickly the need to help. They would not easly start to think that there are people able to be content with little. So rather than to reflect "why can he live in this way and i am not even able to survive without aircondition" the normal way of thought is "Ohh, what a poor man, we need to help him!". The man is just wondering but happy, even he would not understand what the problem actually is.
After some meetings with the "compassionated" he even believes that he is poor and starts to say by him self "look how i live, I am so poor".

Funny, isn't it?
Just that! *smile*
...We Buddhists must find the courage to leave our temples and enter the temples of human experience, temples that are filled with suffering. If we listen to Buddha, Christ, or Gandhi, we can do nothing else. The refugee camps, the prisons, the ghettos, and the battlefields will become our temples. We have so much work to do. ... Peace is Possible! Step by Step. - Samtach Preah Maha Ghosananda "Step by Step" http://www.ghosananda.org/bio_book.html

BUT! it is important to become a real Buddhist first. Like Punna did: Punna Sutta Nate sante baram sokham _()_
purple planet

Post by purple planet »

Just to make things clear - i didnt write things in a clear way until now cause i was nervous

1 . i never planned to take a "blood oath" just to do something memorable - like eating something or listening to something ect .... and my question was to find this cool ideas that are not bodily harmful

2 . i automaticly keep the majority of the 8 preceptss thats no problem for me - but i dont want to take them for some reason like : I dont really care what people think about me and i usually dress bad and comfortable but i learned that people act better when i look good so when i go to work or important places i make myself dress nice - so its breaking the 7 precept but not in a "full" way

3 . if i could do meditation i would not really need to take an oath but because of my back and pelvic i can only be mindful all day and that is extremly hard and from expirence an oath helps a lot

4 . so i have no problem with the "big" stuff but with the "small" stuff like listening to music ect ....
Hanzze

Post by Hanzze »

The the seventh seems to be perfect as reminder :smile: Hairs? White? A scarf? :D Little sacrify is needed.

Tears could run down in a way that you even lose the raw self illusion and win streamentry, while shaving your hairs.
Last edited by Hanzze on Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Just that! *smile*
...We Buddhists must find the courage to leave our temples and enter the temples of human experience, temples that are filled with suffering. If we listen to Buddha, Christ, or Gandhi, we can do nothing else. The refugee camps, the prisons, the ghettos, and the battlefields will become our temples. We have so much work to do. ... Peace is Possible! Step by Step. - Samtach Preah Maha Ghosananda "Step by Step" http://www.ghosananda.org/bio_book.html

BUT! it is important to become a real Buddhist first. Like Punna did: Punna Sutta Nate sante baram sokham _()_
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi PP.
purple planet wrote:Just to make things clear - i didnt write things in a clear way until now cause i was nervous

1 . i never planned to take a "blood oath" just to do something memorable - like eating something or listening to something ect .... and my question was to find this cool ideas that are not bodily harmful

2 . i automaticly keep the majority of the 8 preceptss thats no problem for me - but i dont want to take them for some reason like : I dont really care what people think about me and i usually dress bad and comfortable but i learned that people act better when i look good so when i go to work or important places i make myself dress nice - so its breaking the 7 precept but not in a "full" way

3 . if i could do meditation i would not really need to take an oath but because of my back and pelvic i can only be mindful all day and that is extremly hard and from expirence an oath helps a lot

4 . so i have no problem with the "big" stuff but with the "small" stuff like listening to music ect ....
I think it would be a good idea that you observe the eight precepts on Uposatha Days. For the remainder of the time, concentrate on maintaining the five precepts, including refraining from killing insects, as well as you can. Making yourself presentable for work or to attend an important event is not a breach of the seventh precept unless you are wearing make up and using perfume.
kind regards,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
purple planet

Post by purple planet »

Hairs? White? A scarf?
Hairs- my head is already shaven White - well that is not so presentable but maybe i can wear it at home
A scarf - its to hot here in israel for a scarf but thats i nice idea i might wear an necklace

ben - i am also taking into consideration your idea i might take the precepts
Hanzze

Post by Hanzze »

Isreal would be perfect for a white robe on the top, maybe shawl is the proper word for it. Simple clothes are perfect for hot weather and white as well.

Even it is somehow forgotten or even disliked in modern world, but clothes have much influence of once behaviour and mindfulness. Special clothes need special behaviour. Somehow a responsibility that you act like you look.
Just that! *smile*

purple planet

Post by purple planet »

I will make a public oath here - and see how it goes

it will fit my view of life and include the still big doubts i have about buddhism - this is i will commit to my view that i got as an atheist and to swear to further investigate buddhism - this way ill be sure to keep it - at least i hope so

:buddha1: I swear to live my life from now on to help others with no regard to myself i will never do anything for fun but only to help others :buddha1:

:buddha1: I swear to improve myself so i will have more power to help others :buddha1:

:buddha1: I swear not to to get attached to success or loss only to the process of helping others :buddha1:

:buddha1: i will try to be as mindful as possible as a means to help others :buddha1:
Last edited by purple planet on Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DAWN

Post by DAWN »

I give you a light :candle:

:namaste:
Sabbe dhamma anatta
We are not concurents...
I'am sorry for my english
Hanzze

Post by Hanzze »

When there was even a Buddha aside, it would be nearly perfect Bodhisattva vow.

Purple planet, promises can make it really difficult to keep precepts. One helps every being just in keeping the simple precepts.
To say it simple, I refuse your promise.

When you make a vow, don't do it for others. If you do not but your self first, you can not help others.
Just that! *smile*

Ben

Post by Ben »

Hanzze wrote:One helps every being just in keeping the simple precepts.
Well said!
kind regards,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
James the Giant

Post by James the Giant »

purple planet wrote: :buddha1: I swear to live my life from now on to help others with no regard to myself i will never do anything for fun but only to help others :buddha1:

:buddha1: I swear not to to get attached to success or loss only to the process of helping others :buddha1:
:jawdrop: Waaa!? Why make a vow you will break within days? Nobody but a bodhisattva or arahant could keep those for more than a very very short period of time.
Then,
saturated with joy,
you will put an end to suffering and stress.
SN 9.11
purple planet

Post by purple planet »

Lol yea - i broke this oath a gazillion timess allready lol

but i also put the last one : I swear not to to get attached to success or loss

For me the meaning is really with an added "i will try" instead of "i swear"

so its actually " i will try to ......" its just to make it more powerful for me the way it sounds
James the Giant

Post by James the Giant »

Oh, okay, that's all right then. Best wishes!
Then,
saturated with joy,
you will put an end to suffering and stress.
SN 9.11
Hickersonia

Post by Hickersonia »

I have thought a little about this, and I'm not going to go over all of the conversation that has taken place here, but I think I've come up with a fairly simple, and probably appropriate, "vow" of sorts that could be part of a daily affirmation / refuge routine.
With a proper reverence for the Buddha, Dhamma, and Sangha,

I will act in accordance with that which promotes
generosity, both in myself and in others.

virtue, both in myself and in others.

patience, both in myself and in others.

diligence, both in myself and in others.

concentration, both in myself and in others.

wisdom, both in myself and in others.

I make this solemn vow, for the benefit of all sentient
beings, that I will promote these six perfections.

In doing so, may I make steady progress along
the Noble Eightfold Path, namely:

Right View
Right Intention
Right Speech
Right Action
Right Livelihood
Right Effort
Right Mindfulness
and
Right Concentration

These path factors, developed together and not apart,
the Buddha taught would relieve suffering.

To that end, I will:

Prevent the unwholesome that has not yet arisen…
Let go of the unwholesome that has arisen…
Bring up the wholesome that has not yet arisen…
Maintain the wholesome that has arisen…
By the taking of this daily affirmation,
May there be well-being.
I saved a copy for those who might want to see how my printed copy will look:
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0BxT-yI ... UxUdnN3M00" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In case you're looking for more, I also have a copy of the entire morning chanting text I use saved online:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1p2Q ... YwUNc/edit" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hope that helps somehow, friends.
Hickersonia
http://hickersonia.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of
throwing it at someone else; you are the one getting burned."
befriend

Post by befriend »

say the precepts every morning and again in the middle of the day dont rush through them, at the end of the day reflect on how well you followed them, and see how you can improve them. when your improving something it takes a while, and then you have to watch that flaw again because it will pop up again, the defilements are incredibly strong. metta, befriend
Take care of mindfulness and mindfulness will take care of you.