Hello Bhante's, Ajaahns and Dhamma Friends

Introduce yourself to others at Dhamma Wheel.
James N. Dawson

Hello Bhante's, Ajaahns and Dhamma Friends

Post by James N. Dawson »

I found your forum last fall or winter, and was impressed by the knowledge, intelligence and devotion to the Dhamma of its members. It's the best Theravada interent forum I've seen so far. I particularly enjoy your Dhammic Free-for-All, and am glad others are willing to ask questions I am usually too timid and cautious to myself, and to vicariously engage in such frank discussions.

I have been a Theravadin since age 20, for 30 years. I have gathered on this forum that the term "orthodox" is out of favor among most Theravadins, so I'll describe myself as a "classical" Theravadin, or one with definite classical/orthodox/doctrinal leanings. I believe in literal and physical rebirth and consider this teaching significant in actual practice. It seems to me there are many teachings in the Tipitika that cannot be justified from a strictly rationalist, empiricist, scientific perspective, and at the very least, I take these teachings seriously, and excising or ignoring them seems to lead, for me, to a rather unimpressive teaching and practice. However...

I must give my modernist friends credit for their zeal, discipline and toughness in practicing what the Dhamma as they see it. I could definitely emulate them better in that respect. I still have a massive amount of Dhamma to learn and practice. That's not polite humility, just plain and simple fact. But with all due respect to those who may chide me, I must tighten my own lyre. I'm working on it. Better a crawl than a standstill.

I've recently relocated from California to Washington state, and currently do not have home internet. Partly out of choice, I am thinking of trying to go without it this summer, relying on the public library's. There are many interesting, helpful and wise people on the Web, but I'm afraid it has the tendency to distract me from other important goals I should give more time to. So when I say I may not be conversing with you here very often, it's not meant as a snub. It's just that I don't have the time to do that as much as I'd like to. Also, I don't "think" very well on Net forums----they tend to be too much, too fast for me. I'm a bit slow. I do hope to drop in and contribute now and then.

I publish a very occasional print journal called Dhamma Letters, subtitled: Letters, Essays, Fragments. Critically Orthodox Theravada Buddhist Perspective. Snail mail is usually a much more manageable speed for me. My address: James N. Dawson, P.O. Box 292, Malden, WA 99149.

Does anyone know of any print/postal-mail forums of this one's caliber and analytical depth? One that asks hard questions in the spirit of Milinda Panha? If so, please let me know. Many thanks.
Cittasanto

Re: Hello Bhante's, Ajaahns and Dhamma Friends

Post by Cittasanto »

Hi And welcome to Dhammawheel
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi James

Welcome to Dhamma Wheel! There is no requirement for our members to log on and contribute all the time, though some of us do spend quite a bit of time here! You are welcome to come and read and contribute whenever it suits you. Your contributions will be greatly appreciated and anticipated.
Unfortunately, I can't help you with a Dhamma-oriented print forum. Perhaps others more knowledgeable than I can assist.
Metta

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings James,

Welcome to Dhamma Wheel, thanks for the introduction and all the best for your practice.

:buddha1:

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Rui Sousa

Post by Rui Sousa »

:hello:

Be well and happy.

Welcome.
With Metta
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

James N. Dawson wrote:I found your forum last fall or winter, and was impressed by the knowledge, intelligence and devotion to the Dhamma of its members. It's the best Theravada interent forum I've seen so far.
:thanks: :woohoo:

:hello:

Welcome to Dhamma Wheel!
Rhino

Post by Rhino »

Hello and welcome to dhammawheel. :namaste:
With best wishes

Only in a vertical view, straight down into the abyss of his own personal existence, is a man capable of apprehending the perilous insecurity of his situation; and only a man who does apprehend this is prepared to listen to the Buddha's Teaching.
Nanavira Thera - Notes on Dhamma