How much does labeling as good or evil has to do with it?

An open and inclusive investigation into Buddhism and spiritual cultivation

How much does labeling as good or evil has to do with it?

Postby Ervin » Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:57 pm

I am writing in light of my treads on veganism and coffee. I am begining to think that how we label certain things like coffee and veganism for instance influemces how it effects us.

For instance, if you go on labeling coffee as a strong upper drug then it might end up having some of those effects of an upper drug on you. But if you don't label it so strongly then it might not have those effects you. Same as with veganism. If you are strongly opinionated about animal rights and how eating only plant baed food is lesser violence and what not, then if you do eat meat you might really feel like a some sort of bad killer and doing it might have certain effects on you.

But if you see it as ok and simply a part of food chain and you still remain with the belief that you are good when it comes to how you want to spend the eternity then that's how it might effect you.

But then again. I was in a car accident when I was about 4 years old. I was supposedly in a Mercedes wich allegedly preaty much saved us because we got hit by the bus. This was supposed to be around 1982. Now I don't remember labeling bus, the car I was in or either of the drivers as evil, but I was phisically hurt and I ended up in a hospital.

Or let's say if someone ends up hurting someone else, just because they enjoy violence, but the person getting hurt didn't even know the person prone to violence means that he wouldn't have labeled him ad violent but he still is.

So my question is: How much and in wich cases in life does labeling and judging efect what that wich we label as good or evil is?

Thanks
Ervin

Re: How much does labeling as good or evil has to do with it?

Postby Bhikkhu Pesala » Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:23 pm

Have a listen to Ajahn Amaro's Hole in the Roof Discourse.

There's a really insightful description of how different people react to the same experience on a Zen retreat.

Different mental habits (past kamma) = different perceptions = different reaction = different fresh kamma.
AIM WebsitePāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
Bhikkhu Pesala

Re: How much does labeling as good or evil has to do with it?

Postby Hanzze » Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:35 am

Ervin wrote:I am writing in light of my treads on veganism and coffee. I am begining to think that how we label certain things like coffee and veganism for instance influemces how it effects us.

For instance, if you go on labeling coffee as a strong upper drug then it might end up having some of those effects of an upper drug on you. But if you don't label it so strongly then it might not have those effects you. Same as with veganism. If you are strongly opinionated about animal rights and how eating only plant baed food is lesser violence and what not, then if you do eat meat you might really feel like a some sort of bad killer and doing it might have certain effects on you.

But if you see it as ok and simply a part of food chain and you still remain with the belief that you are good when it comes to how you want to spend the eternity then that's how it might effect you.

But then again. I was in a car accident when I was about 4 years old. I was supposedly in a Mercedes wich allegedly preaty much saved us because we got hit by the bus. This was supposed to be around 1982. Now I don't remember labeling bus, the car I was in or either of the drivers as evil, but I was phisically hurt and I ended up in a hospital.

Or let's say if someone ends up hurting someone else, just because they enjoy violence, but the person getting hurt didn't even know the person prone to violence means that he wouldn't have labeled him ad violent but he still is.

So my question is: How much and in wich cases in life does labeling and judging efect what that wich we label as good or evil is?

Thanks

That is a good point Erwin, and I like your sample with the accident in this realtion. Actually its nothing but the same like what is called traumata in phsychology on a more or lesser subtil level. While phsychology often only focues to define phenomenas or heal them to a degree that fits to normality, the Buddhist way lead to the understanding of trauma. It's is caused by an incredible fear of losing the "I" the "indentity". So things which have given us the idea that they are against us are somehow saved as bad, even they are not in fact.
If we get the feeling that we are not secure, even nothing is secure causes us much fear. We like things in the way we had experianced is as most pleasant. But actually freedom of this fear and with it the freedom of desire for pleasant feelings is the only secure thing.

This essay: Freedom From Fear is maybe from interest. As maybe this song as a reminder - if somebody likes/needs that kind of music - is as well.

What Ven. Pesala kindly pointed out is that our world is turning like our current perceptions are. To reach a point to look really behind perception, we use special perception. No need and even not useful to give up perception totaly. The importand message here is "different fresh kamma" which could be in a good direction or in a more worse, depending on our perceptions.

One beautiful experiance is for example if one gives medically assitance to children who are not used to it. While most who are used to it would fear pain, those who are not used to it would just take the treadment. I need to remember the villager childs in the small forest village we used to live. They often had gigantic abscess nobody would care of. They took the pain which is natural when you work on an abscess simply as pain with endless trust and not a single tear. Even there was pain, they have been so happy that every other child acted in the same way. Something that is very unusall if people are used to have less success in treadments.
The stronger our preperceptions are, even totally in the wrong direction, the painfuller a treatment till the frist experiance of success and release.
Just that! *smile*
...We Buddhists must find the courage to leave our temples and enter the temples of human experience, temples that are filled with suffering. If we listen to Buddha, Christ, or Gandhi, we can do nothing else. The refugee camps, the prisons, the ghettos, and the battlefields will become our temples. We have so much work to do. ... Peace is Possible! Step by Step. - Samtach Preah Maha Ghosananda "Step by Step" http://www.ghosananda.org/bio_book.html

BUT! it is important to become a real Buddhist first. Like Punna did: Punna Sutta Nate sante baram sokham _()_
Hanzze

Return to Open Dhamma