Some questions about the Vipassana-Bhavana traditions

On the cultivation of insight/wisdom
Ben

Re: Some questions about the Vipassana-Bhavana traditions

Post by Ben »

zunor wrote:So thank you all for these usefull comments it helped me to sort out my mind.
Im pretty sure that i will have some more "rookie's" questions in the near future haha but for the moment i will keep practising Goenka's meditation style.

Wish you only happiness :anjali:
No problem, Zunor!
kind regards,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

I recently re-listened to this talk by Patrick Kearney:
http://www.dharmasalon.net/Audio/Bodhi% ... _2011.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bodhi Tree 2011 Talks given at the Bodhi Tree Meditation Centre, September 2011
Buddha_Wat_Po
01 (AM) Introducing Mahāsī method
We look at the origins of the modern insight movement in Myanmar, and at the characteristics of Mahāsī Sayādaw’s approach to satipaṭṭhāna vipassanā (insight based on establishing mindfulness). We see how Mahāsī Sayādaw divides the meditator’s experience into “primary object” and “secondary object;” and how the three fundamental movements of the practitioner are “noting,” “naming” and “noticing.”
At the start he gives a quick history of modern meditation methods in Burma. This may well gloss over some details, but I think it is worth listening to. What I particularly liked was his comparing meditation methods being somewhat similar to being confronted with all those brands of washing powder in the supermarket, each claiming to give the best wash...

My take on it is that any one of the reputable brands will do the job...

:anjali:
Mike
hermitwin

Post by hermitwin »

hope this is helpful.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzSFB3PO6Js" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Hi Hermitwin,
hermitwin wrote:hope this is helpful.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzSFB3PO6Js" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Can you summarise what it is about?

:anjali:
Mike