YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Trying to gain more insight... - Dhamma Wheel

Trying to gain more insight...

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
TessaHenley

Trying to gain more insight...

Postby TessaHenley » Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:53 am

Hello All!

I've just begun to devote myself to Buddhism in my every day being. I do however want to get insight from people that are more evolved than I am. I am familiar with the Eightfold Path, The Five Precepts, and The Three Refuges. I am aware of them and I try to follow them as closely as I can. I also meditate every morning. I am starting with a 15 minute meditation every morning, and when I get comfortable with that I will add 5 minutes to it. I am practicing Insight Meditation. There is the Insight Meditation and Loving-Kindness Meditation, right? Are these the only kinds of meditation?

Even though I am doing all this, I still do not feel as though I am doing enough. I feel as though the Buddhist elements I mentioned is just the kind of person I am, and I'm not really doing much different. The challenging part of Buddhism for me is how I think. I am a very self-conscious person, and I am always trying to please other people. I have this insane compassion for other beings, but I want to not be so concerned about how they think of me. I would love to go on a retreat of some sort to get me off to a good start, but that is not really possible for me right now. Living in a small town in Wisconsin, the closest group meeting/temple is 5 hours in Milwaukee! Also, there are no teachers up here so the best refuge I could get is from the discussion group.

Please share your thoughts. I would be forever grateful!
Tessa

LonesomeYogurt

Re: Trying to gain more insight...

Postby LonesomeYogurt » Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:54 am

What type of meditation are you doing when you say insight meditation? Do you know in which tradition it falls, or the main source of your technique?
Gain and loss, status and disgrace,
censure and praise, pleasure and pain:
these conditions among human beings are inconstant,
impermanent, subject to change.

Knowing this, the wise person, mindful,
ponders these changing conditions.
Desirable things don’t charm the mind,
undesirable ones bring no resistance.

His welcoming and rebelling are scattered,
gone to their end,
do not exist.
- Lokavipatti Sutta

TessaHenley

Postby TessaHenley » Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:58 am

LonesomeYogurt

Postby LonesomeYogurt » Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:15 am

Gain and loss, status and disgrace,
censure and praise, pleasure and pain:
these conditions among human beings are inconstant,
impermanent, subject to change.

Knowing this, the wise person, mindful,
ponders these changing conditions.
Desirable things don’t charm the mind,
undesirable ones bring no resistance.

His welcoming and rebelling are scattered,
gone to their end,
do not exist.
- Lokavipatti Sutta

manas

Postby manas » Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:36 am

Then the Blessed One, picking up a tiny bit of dust with the tip of his fingernail, said to the monk, "There isn't even this much form...feeling...
perception...fabrications...consciousness that is constant, lasting, eternal, not subject to change, that will stay just as it is as long as eternity."

Hanzze

Postby Hanzze » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:02 am

Just that! *smile*

BUT! it is important to become a real Buddhist first. Like Punna did: Nate sante baram sokham _()_

pegembara

Postby pegembara » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:43 am

I found Mindfulness in Plain English easy to get into and at the same time insightful. You can get the paperback or the free pdf version here -http://www.urbandharma.org/pdf/mindfulness_in_plain_english.pdf
And what is right speech? Abstaining from lying, from divisive speech, from abusive speech, & from idle chatter: This is called right speech.

santa100

Postby santa100 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:08 pm

Since you mentioned mindfulness of breathing in your practice, you also might want to check out this link for detail instruction:
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... bl115.html

TessaHenley

Postby TessaHenley » Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:29 pm

I appreciate very much everybody's help! It is all very insightful and inspirational.

With Buddhism, there is so much to learn. Since I am still very young in this journey, what is the best way to start in learning all there is to learn? I'm not expecting to become a scholar in the subject, but there is so much informations that I do not even know where to begin!

What are your recommendations?

With Gratitude.

whynotme

Postby whynotme » Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:44 pm

Maybe start reading all Nikaya suttas and Vinaya. They are the bible of the buddhism, the guiding star of the buddhists.

Regards

PS: as Hanzze quoted a great article of Ajanh Chah, I think for beginner like TessaHenley, it is the most important thing that you should realize your own problem. What is your problem? Of course you had them and your problems are unique and different to others. People often think by keeping practice and practice, they will solve every problem. No, you see your problem when you putting many efforts in practice but can't attain what is described. Then you ask yourself, why can't I achieve what is described, then you will see your problem.
Please stop following me

TessaHenley

Postby TessaHenley » Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:57 pm

TessaHenley

Postby TessaHenley » Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:05 pm

To start from the beginning...

There is Theravada and Mahayana? Are these two only two forms of Buddhism? Are there many more types, because I'm pretty sure I've seen the term Zen Buddhism around.

There is so much information that it all overlaps and is confusing to me. I apologize if I'm being overwhelming. Any help is appreciated!

daverupa

Postby daverupa » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:14 pm

nibbuti

Postby nibbuti » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:18 pm

TessaHenley

Postby TessaHenley » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:08 pm

Mal

Postby Mal » Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:27 pm