What is the diffrence between Magga and Phala

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
SarathW
Posts: 3495
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:49 am

What is the diffrence between Magga and Phala

Postby SarathW » Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:00 am

It appears to me that Magga and Phala is attained with one thought moment. See page 248 of the attachment. http://www.buddhanet.net/pdf_file/abhidhamma.pdf

However it appears to me that it is possible to attain these at different times as there are two different persons (Puggala) are identified in texts. For example see the attachment: http://tipitaka.wikia.com/wiki/Kosambiya_Sutta

Which says “When the noble disciple is endowed with these seven characteristics, he is ready to realise the fruits (Phala) of the entry into the stream of the Teaching”

Could someone help me to clarify this please?

User avatar
retrofuturist
Site Admin
Posts: 15112
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:52 pm
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Re: What is the diffrence between Magga and Phala

Postby retrofuturist » Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:33 am

Greetings Sarath,

SarathW wrote:Could someone help me to clarify this please?

I don't know that I can clarify per se, other than to say that you're not the first to observe that the Abhidhammic interpretation of these terms has evolved beyond their original Sutta usage.

Modern meditation guidance that is rooted in the Visuddhimagga is similarly founded on the more technical and prescriptive Abhidhammic interpretation.

How you proceed will probably depend on what set of resources you find most authorative or useful.

Metta,
Retro. :)
“Delighting in existence O monks, are gods and men; they are attached to existence. they revel in existence. When the Dhamma for the cessation of existence is being preached to them, their minds do not leap towards it, do not get pleased with it, do not get settled in it, do not find confidence in it. That is how, monks, some lag behind … (It. p 43)”

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)

santa100
Posts: 1686
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:55 pm

Re: What is the diffrence between Magga and Phala

Postby santa100 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:50 am

SarathW wrote:
"It appears to me that Magga and Phala is attained with one thought moment. See page 248 of the attachment. http://www.buddhanet.net/pdf_file/abhidhamma.pdf"

Are you sure the page number is right? 'cuz page 248 actually shows a "process" of 7 thought-moments, not a single thought-moment..

SarathW
Posts: 3495
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:49 am

Re: What is the diffrence between Magga and Phala

Postby SarathW » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:58 am

santa100 wrote:SarathW wrote:
"It appears to me that Magga and Phala is attained with one thought moment. See page 248 of the attachment. http://www.buddhanet.net/pdf_file/abhidhamma.pdf"

Are you sure the page number is right? 'cuz page 248 actually shows a "process" of 7 thought-moments, not a single thought-moment..


Sorry Santa, you are correct. I meant one thought process (17 thought moments) or within seven Javana thought moments.

santa100
Posts: 1686
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:55 pm

Re: What is the diffrence between Magga and Phala

Postby santa100 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:03 am

So as long as it's not a single thought-moment and as long as there's a "process" (could be happening very fast but still indicates distinct time units), it should be no problem right?

User avatar
Bhikkhu Pesala
Posts: 2263
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:17 pm

Re: What is the diffrence between Magga and Phala

Postby Bhikkhu Pesala » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:14 am

Path and Fruition are different thought-processes, but both have nibbāna as their object. Each of the four Paths is attained only once — thereafter, the Noble Ones can attain Fruition consciousness whenever they wish. The attainment of the Path is very brief, but the attainment of Fruition may continue without interruption for hours or even for as long as seven days and nights.

See Purification by Knowledge and Vision for details.
AIM WebsitePāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)

SarathW
Posts: 3495
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:49 am

Re: What is the diffrence between Magga and Phala

Postby SarathW » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:25 am

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:Path and Fruition are different thought-processes, but both have nibbāna as their object. Each of the four Paths is attained only once — thereafter, the Noble Ones can attain Fruition consciousness whenever they wish. The attainment of the Path is very brief, but the attainment of Fruition may continue without interruption for hours or even for as long as seven days and nights.

See Purification by Knowledge and Vision for details.


Bahante - Your link was very useful

SarathW
Posts: 3495
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:49 am

Re: What is the diffrence between Magga and Phala

Postby SarathW » Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:30 am

santa100 wrote:So as long as it's not a single thought-moment and as long as there's a "process" (could be happening very fast but still indicates distinct time units), it should be no problem right?


Hi Santa100 - I have read your comment on The Stages of the Path. Now I got a better understanding of the Magga and Phala process. Thanks.

SarathW
Posts: 3495
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:49 am

Re: What is the diffrence between Magga and Phala

Postby SarathW » Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:45 am

Does Magga (Path) in this case means Noble Eight Fold Path?

Also see the following discussion:

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=21974


Return to “General Theravāda discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: MSNbot Media, WoodsyLadyM and 11 guests

Google Saffron, Theravada Search Engine