Farmer Eaten By His Pigs !!

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
yawares

Post by yawares »

Dear Members,

Yesterday our SD/JTN member Min Kyaw posted this strange story.

Farmer Eaten By His Pigs

US authorities are investigating how a US farmer was eaten by his hogs.
The district attorney's office says 70-year-old Terry Vance Garner never returned after he set out to feed his animals on Wednesday on his farm near the Oregon coast.
A relative later found Garner's dentures and pieces of his body in the pig enclosure, but most of his remains had been consumed.
The district attorney's office said in a statement that it is possible Garner had a medical emergency, such as a heart attack, or was knocked over by the animals before he was killed. But criminal activity has not been ruled out.
Authorities estimate the pigs weigh 320 kilograms each. The DA's office says one pig had either bitten or been aggressive with Garner previously.
Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/world/farmer-eate ... z28B40jTTj" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

-------
I, Yawares, replied:

Dear Min,

Oh, now I'm afraid to buy pork meat at grocery stores!!
But I don't think pigs have good teeth to eat fresh human body.

Thanks for the interesting story,
yawares
---------------------

And another member 'Alex' replied:

Dear Min, all,

We are all going to be eaten by worms...

The Body is not ours. It is digested food that we get from other living beings.
At death we give it back. Anatta.

This is circle of life. When we alive, we eat living beings and/or plants. When
we die, our body becomes compost for plants and other living beings such as
worms can eat us.

When we eat food, we eat something that could have made up the flesh of our
friends, parents, children, brothers, sisters, spouses, etc...

The eight worldly conditions circle around such body which isn't trully ours...

Some food for thought...

With best wishes,

Alex
---------

What do you(DW members) think??
yawares
LonesomeYogurt

Re: Farmer Eaten By His Pigs !!

Post by LonesomeYogurt »

I'm just reminded to be grateful that I have this human body and to reflect on death's ability to come at any moment, even at the hands of pigs.

Hopefully the farmer's next life will be one in which he does not have such a distasteful occupation. I wish him the best in his wandering on!
Gain and loss, status and disgrace,
censure and praise, pleasure and pain:
these conditions among human beings are inconstant,
impermanent, subject to change.

Knowing this, the wise person, mindful,
ponders these changing conditions.
Desirable things don’t charm the mind,
undesirable ones bring no resistance.

His welcoming and rebelling are scattered,
gone to their end,
do not exist.
- Lokavipatti Sutta

Stuff I write about things.
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

hi yawares
what is SD/JTN?
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
yawares

Post by yawares »

Cittasanto wrote:hi yawares
what is SD/JTN?
Dear Cittasanto,
SD = sariputtadhamma discussion group, JTN = Journey To Nibbana also dhamma discussion group.. both groups run by Tep and Dr.Han tun with me as a moderator ....very small groups but we're happy.
yawares
GraemeR

Post by GraemeR »

Hi Yawares,

I had friends with pig farms. They told me never go into the sty on your own as if you had an accident, like a fall and was unconscious, the pigs would eat you!

Actually pigs are very clever animals, they like to play with toys too. But they do eat almost anything. I remember a worker hanging his jacket in reach, they ate his jacket, watch, penknife, everything gone!

Graeme.
poto

Post by poto »

Hogs are omnivores, like us humans. We eat them, but given the chance they'll eat us too.

Some of my family and friends have raised hogs.

There was a local hog farmer some years back that a friend of mine knew pretty well. He had a heart attack while leaning over the fence feeding his hogs. The hogs ate his hands and face. He had clothing on, so they didn't eat the rest of him, just what was exposed. Rough way to die though.

Farming is a pretty dangerous profession. Lots of people are killed and maimed every year from accidents on farms, most either involving machinery or animals.
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C. S. Lewis
Ben

Post by Ben »

A few years ago I visited a truffle orchard up the road from here.
During the tour, one of the workers told a story of how they had recently had truffle farmers from the Perigord region visit. One of the farmers had some fingers missing and related how he lost them by trying to extract a truffle from the truffle-hog's mouth. In the farm in Tasmania they use dogs as truffle hounds.
Anyway, back to the artichoke plantation I go...
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
yawares

Post by yawares »

GraemeR wrote:Hi Yawares,

I had friends with pig farms. They told me never go into the sty on your own as if you had an accident, like a fall and was unconscious, the pigs would eat you!

Actually pigs are very clever animals, they like to play with toys too. But they do eat almost anything. I remember a worker hanging his jacket in reach, they ate his jacket, watch, penknife, everything gone!

Graeme.
Dear Graeme,

Oh... this is like a horror movie....Nightmare At The Pig Farms!! :shock: If you don't tell me this..I would still think that pigs only eat vegetables/mushrooms/taros/potatoes etc......silly me!!

yawares :shock: :jumping:
Ben

Post by Ben »

yawares wrote:

Graeme.
Dear Graeme,

Oh... this is like a horror movie....Nightmare At The Pig Farms!! :shock: If you don't tell me this..I would still think that pigs only eat vegetables/mushrooms/taros/potatoes etc......silly me!!

Don't forget the truffles, Yawares! Otherwise you might be in for a bit of a shock!
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

yawares

Post by yawares »

poto wrote:Hogs are omnivores, like us humans. We eat them, but given the chance they'll eat us too.

Some of my family and friends have raised hogs.

There was a local hog farmer some years back that a friend of mine knew pretty well. He had a heart attack while leaning over the fence feeding his hogs. The hogs ate his hands and face. He had clothing on, so they didn't eat the rest of him, just what was exposed. Rough way to die though.

Farming is a pretty dangerous profession. Lots of people are killed and maimed every year from accidents on farms, most either involving machinery or animals.
Dear "poto",

Oh..I truly love Buddhas millions times more TODAY than YESTERDAY...Buddhas said that animals-farming/selling/buying/killing ..really not "SAMMA AAJIVO" !!!!

yawares
yawares

Post by yawares »

Ben wrote:
yawares wrote:

Graeme.
Dear Graeme,

Don't forget the truffles, Yawares! Otherwise you might be in for a bit of a shock!
Dear Ben,

What am I gonna do...I'm already :shock: :?
http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/i ... va=truffle" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
yawares :jumping:
yawares

Post by yawares »

Ben wrote:A few years ago I visited a truffle orchard up the road from here.
During the tour, one of the workers told a story of how they had recently had truffle farmers from the Perigord region visit. One of the farmers had some fingers missing and related how he lost them by trying to extract a truffle from the truffle-hog's mouth. In the farm in Tasmania they use dogs as truffle hounds.
Anyway, back to the artichoke plantation I go...
Dear Ben,

Please tell me more about the artichoke plantation..what happened??

yawares
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi Yawares,
I was being silly...
The artichoke plantation is a very large vegetable garden which I am in the middle of preparing for summer. It still has some vegetables that have not been harvested since last summer including celery, asparagus and two globe artichoke plants. I also have some potatoes that are coming back.
kind regards,

Ben

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

yawares

Post by yawares »

Ben wrote:Hi Yawares,
I was being silly...
The artichoke plantation is a very large vegetable garden which I am in the middle of preparing for summer. It still has some vegetables that have not been harvested since last summer including celery, asparagus and two globe artichoke plants. I also have some potatoes that are coming back.
kind regards,

Ben
Dear Ben,
I'm so happy that there are no pigs in your garden...they might eat everything there!
yawares :smile:
Ben

Post by Ben »

yawares wrote:
Ben wrote:Hi Yawares,
I was being silly...
kind regards,

Ben
Dear Ben,
I'm so happy that there are no pigs in your garden...they might eat everything there!
yawares :smile:
No pigs. But in the past I did have chickens and the neighbour's turkeys - and they ate nearly everything.
And we also get possums raiding the garden as well.

- Sutta Nipata 3.725