Farmer Eaten By His Pigs !!

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.

Farmer Eaten By His Pigs !!

Postby yawares » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:26 pm

Dear Members,

Yesterday our SD/JTN member Min Kyaw posted this strange story.

Farmer Eaten By His Pigs

US authorities are investigating how a US farmer was eaten by his hogs.
The district attorney's office says 70-year-old Terry Vance Garner never returned after he set out to feed his animals on Wednesday on his farm near the Oregon coast.
A relative later found Garner's dentures and pieces of his body in the pig enclosure, but most of his remains had been consumed.
The district attorney's office said in a statement that it is possible Garner had a medical emergency, such as a heart attack, or was knocked over by the animals before he was killed. But criminal activity has not been ruled out.
Authorities estimate the pigs weigh 320 kilograms each. The DA's office says one pig had either bitten or been aggressive with Garner previously.
Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/world/farmer-eate ... z28B40jTTj

-------
I, Yawares, replied:

Dear Min,

Oh, now I'm afraid to buy pork meat at grocery stores!!
But I don't think pigs have good teeth to eat fresh human body.

Thanks for the interesting story,
yawares
---------------------

And another member 'Alex' replied:

Dear Min, all,

We are all going to be eaten by worms...

The Body is not ours. It is digested food that we get from other living beings.
At death we give it back. Anatta.

This is circle of life. When we alive, we eat living beings and/or plants. When
we die, our body becomes compost for plants and other living beings such as
worms can eat us.

When we eat food, we eat something that could have made up the flesh of our
friends, parents, children, brothers, sisters, spouses, etc...

The eight worldly conditions circle around such body which isn't trully ours...

Some food for thought...

With best wishes,

Alex
---------

What do you(DW members) think??
yawares
User avatar
yawares
 
Posts: 1532
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:23 pm

Re: Farmer Eaten By His Pigs !!

Postby LonesomeYogurt » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:42 pm

I'm just reminded to be grateful that I have this human body and to reflect on death's ability to come at any moment, even at the hands of pigs.

Hopefully the farmer's next life will be one in which he does not have such a distasteful occupation. I wish him the best in his wandering on!
Gain and loss, status and disgrace,
censure and praise, pleasure and pain:
these conditions among human beings are inconstant,
impermanent, subject to change.

Knowing this, the wise person, mindful,
ponders these changing conditions.
Desirable things don’t charm the mind,
undesirable ones bring no resistance.

His welcoming and rebelling are scattered,
gone to their end,
do not exist.
- Lokavipatti Sutta

Stuff I write about things.
User avatar
LonesomeYogurt
 
Posts: 900
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:24 pm
Location: America

Re: Farmer Eaten By His Pigs !!

Postby Cittasanto » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:04 pm

hi yawares
what is SD/JTN?
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
Blog, - Some Suttas Translated, Ajahn Chah.
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."
User avatar
Cittasanto
 
Posts: 5855
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:31 pm
Location: Ellan Vannin

Re: Farmer Eaten By His Pigs !!

Postby yawares » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:29 am

Cittasanto wrote:hi yawares
what is SD/JTN?

Dear Cittasanto,
SD = sariputtadhamma discussion group, JTN = Journey To Nibbana also dhamma discussion group.. both groups run by Tep and Dr.Han tun with me as a moderator ....very small groups but we're happy.
yawares
User avatar
yawares
 
Posts: 1532
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:23 pm

Farmer Eaten By His Pigs !!

Postby GraemeR » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:26 am

Hi Yawares,

I had friends with pig farms. They told me never go into the sty on your own as if you had an accident, like a fall and was unconscious, the pigs would eat you!

Actually pigs are very clever animals, they like to play with toys too. But they do eat almost anything. I remember a worker hanging his jacket in reach, they ate his jacket, watch, penknife, everything gone!

Graeme.
User avatar
GraemeR
 
Posts: 136
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:20 am
Location: Thailand

Re: Farmer Eaten By His Pigs !!

Postby poto » Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:24 am

Hogs are omnivores, like us humans. We eat them, but given the chance they'll eat us too.

Some of my family and friends have raised hogs.

There was a local hog farmer some years back that a friend of mine knew pretty well. He had a heart attack while leaning over the fence feeding his hogs. The hogs ate his hands and face. He had clothing on, so they didn't eat the rest of him, just what was exposed. Rough way to die though.

Farming is a pretty dangerous profession. Lots of people are killed and maimed every year from accidents on farms, most either involving machinery or animals.
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C. S. Lewis
User avatar
poto
 
Posts: 363
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:21 am

Re: Farmer Eaten By His Pigs !!

Postby Ben » Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:51 am

A few years ago I visited a truffle orchard up the road from here.
During the tour, one of the workers told a story of how they had recently had truffle farmers from the Perigord region visit. One of the farmers had some fingers missing and related how he lost them by trying to extract a truffle from the truffle-hog's mouth. In the farm in Tasmania they use dogs as truffle hounds.
Anyway, back to the artichoke plantation I go...
Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.

Taṃ nadīhi vijānātha:
sobbhesu padaresu ca,
saṇantā yanti kusobbhā,
tuṇhīyanti mahodadhī.

Sutta Nipata 3.725


Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
User avatar
Ben
Site Admin
 
Posts: 16292
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:49 am
Location: Land of the sleeping gods

Re: Farmer Eaten By His Pigs !!

Postby yawares » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:00 pm

GraemeR wrote:Hi Yawares,

I had friends with pig farms. They told me never go into the sty on your own as if you had an accident, like a fall and was unconscious, the pigs would eat you!

Actually pigs are very clever animals, they like to play with toys too. But they do eat almost anything. I remember a worker hanging his jacket in reach, they ate his jacket, watch, penknife, everything gone!

Graeme.

Dear Graeme,

Oh... this is like a horror movie....Nightmare At The Pig Farms!! :shock: If you don't tell me this..I would still think that pigs only eat vegetables/mushrooms/taros/potatoes etc......silly me!!

yawares :shock: :jumping:
User avatar
yawares
 
Posts: 1532
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:23 pm

Re: Farmer Eaten By His Pigs !!

Postby Ben » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:10 pm

yawares wrote:
GraemeR wrote:Hi Yawares,

I had friends with pig farms. They told me never go into the sty on your own as if you had an accident, like a fall and was unconscious, the pigs would eat you!

Actually pigs are very clever animals, they like to play with toys too. But they do eat almost anything. I remember a worker hanging his jacket in reach, they ate his jacket, watch, penknife, everything gone!

Graeme.

Dear Graeme,

Oh... this is like a horror movie....Nightmare At The Pig Farms!! :shock: If you don't tell me this..I would still think that pigs only eat vegetables/mushrooms/taros/potatoes etc......silly me!!

yawares :shock: :jumping:


Don't forget the truffles, Yawares! Otherwise you might be in for a bit of a shock!
Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.

Taṃ nadīhi vijānātha:
sobbhesu padaresu ca,
saṇantā yanti kusobbhā,
tuṇhīyanti mahodadhī.

Sutta Nipata 3.725


Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
User avatar
Ben
Site Admin
 
Posts: 16292
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:49 am
Location: Land of the sleeping gods

Re: Farmer Eaten By His Pigs !!

Postby yawares » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:12 pm

poto wrote:Hogs are omnivores, like us humans. We eat them, but given the chance they'll eat us too.

Some of my family and friends have raised hogs.

There was a local hog farmer some years back that a friend of mine knew pretty well. He had a heart attack while leaning over the fence feeding his hogs. The hogs ate his hands and face. He had clothing on, so they didn't eat the rest of him, just what was exposed. Rough way to die though.

Farming is a pretty dangerous profession. Lots of people are killed and maimed every year from accidents on farms, most either involving machinery or animals.


Dear "poto",

Oh..I truly love Buddhas millions times more TODAY than YESTERDAY...Buddhas said that animals-farming/selling/buying/killing ..really not "SAMMA AAJIVO" !!!!

yawares
User avatar
yawares
 
Posts: 1532
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:23 pm

Re: Farmer Eaten By His Pigs !!

Postby yawares » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:22 pm

Ben wrote:
yawares wrote:
GraemeR wrote:Hi Yawares,

I had friends with pig farms. They told me never go into the sty on your own as if you had an accident, like a fall and was unconscious, the pigs would eat you!

Actually pigs are very clever animals, they like to play with toys too. But they do eat almost anything. I remember a worker hanging his jacket in reach, they ate his jacket, watch, penknife, everything gone!

Graeme.

Dear Graeme,

Oh... this is like a horror movie....Nightmare At The Pig Farms!! :shock: If you don't tell me this..I would still think that pigs only eat vegetables/mushrooms/taros/potatoes etc......silly me!!

yawares :shock: :jumping:


Don't forget the truffles, Yawares! Otherwise you might be in for a bit of a shock!


Dear Ben,

What am I gonna do...I'm already :shock: :?
http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/i ... va=truffle
yawares :jumping:
User avatar
yawares
 
Posts: 1532
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:23 pm

Re: Farmer Eaten By His Pigs !!

Postby yawares » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:27 pm

Ben wrote:A few years ago I visited a truffle orchard up the road from here.
During the tour, one of the workers told a story of how they had recently had truffle farmers from the Perigord region visit. One of the farmers had some fingers missing and related how he lost them by trying to extract a truffle from the truffle-hog's mouth. In the farm in Tasmania they use dogs as truffle hounds.
Anyway, back to the artichoke plantation I go...


Dear Ben,

Please tell me more about the artichoke plantation..what happened??

yawares
User avatar
yawares
 
Posts: 1532
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:23 pm

Re: Farmer Eaten By His Pigs !!

Postby Ben » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:41 pm

Hi Yawares,
I was being silly...
The artichoke plantation is a very large vegetable garden which I am in the middle of preparing for summer. It still has some vegetables that have not been harvested since last summer including celery, asparagus and two globe artichoke plants. I also have some potatoes that are coming back.
kind regards,

Ben
Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.

Taṃ nadīhi vijānātha:
sobbhesu padaresu ca,
saṇantā yanti kusobbhā,
tuṇhīyanti mahodadhī.

Sutta Nipata 3.725


Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
User avatar
Ben
Site Admin
 
Posts: 16292
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:49 am
Location: Land of the sleeping gods

Re: Farmer Eaten By His Pigs !!

Postby yawares » Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:08 pm

Ben wrote:Hi Yawares,
I was being silly...
The artichoke plantation is a very large vegetable garden which I am in the middle of preparing for summer. It still has some vegetables that have not been harvested since last summer including celery, asparagus and two globe artichoke plants. I also have some potatoes that are coming back.
kind regards,

Ben


Dear Ben,
I'm so happy that there are no pigs in your garden...they might eat everything there!
yawares :smile:
User avatar
yawares
 
Posts: 1532
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:23 pm

Re: Farmer Eaten By His Pigs !!

Postby Ben » Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:15 pm

yawares wrote:
Ben wrote:Hi Yawares,
I was being silly...
The artichoke plantation is a very large vegetable garden which I am in the middle of preparing for summer. It still has some vegetables that have not been harvested since last summer including celery, asparagus and two globe artichoke plants. I also have some potatoes that are coming back.
kind regards,

Ben


Dear Ben,
I'm so happy that there are no pigs in your garden...they might eat everything there!
yawares :smile:


No pigs. But in the past I did have chickens and the neighbour's turkeys - and they ate nearly everything.
And we also get possums raiding the garden as well.
Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.

Taṃ nadīhi vijānātha:
sobbhesu padaresu ca,
saṇantā yanti kusobbhā,
tuṇhīyanti mahodadhī.

Sutta Nipata 3.725


Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
User avatar
Ben
Site Admin
 
Posts: 16292
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:49 am
Location: Land of the sleeping gods

Re: Farmer Eaten By His Pigs !!

Postby yawares » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:18 pm

Ben wrote:
yawares wrote:
Ben wrote:Hi Yawares,
I was being silly...
The artichoke plantation is a very large vegetable garden which I am in the middle of preparing for summer. It still has some vegetables that have not been harvested since last summer including celery, asparagus and two globe artichoke plants. I also have some potatoes that are coming back.
kind regards,

Ben


Dear Ben,
I'm so happy that there are no pigs in your garden...they might eat everything there!
yawares :smile:


No pigs. But in the past I did have chickens and the neighbour's turkeys - and they ate nearly everything.
And we also get possums raiding the garden as well.


Dear Ben,
No wonder why fruits/vegetables are so expensive...Once I flew Thai flight to Sydney...I served Thai fruits to first class passengers, and an Australian guy loved Thai Noi-Na( Sugar-Apple fruits) very much ...he said he wish he could grow this Noi-Na plants in his orchard.


http://images.search.yahoo.com/images/v ... Q5s3jI23x8

Have you ever seen these fruits....sweet/yummy!! :thumbsup:
yawares
User avatar
yawares
 
Posts: 1532
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:23 pm

Re: Farmer Eaten By His Pigs !!

Postby Cittasanto » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:58 pm

yawares wrote:
Cittasanto wrote:hi yawares
what is SD/JTN?

Dear Cittasanto,
SD = sariputtadhamma discussion group, JTN = Journey To Nibbana also dhamma discussion group.. both groups run by Tep and Dr.Han tun with me as a moderator ....very small groups but we're happy.
yawares

:clap: :twothumbsup: :anjali:
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
Blog, - Some Suttas Translated, Ajahn Chah.
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."
User avatar
Cittasanto
 
Posts: 5855
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:31 pm
Location: Ellan Vannin

Re: Farmer Eaten By His Pigs !!

Postby Ben » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:27 pm

Hi Yawares,

Yeah, we know them as Custard Apples and they're grown in Northern New South Wales and in parts of Queensland.
The first time I tried one was when I was at Youth Hostel at Murwillumbah nearly thirty years ago - they're amazing!
Where I live its too cold for custard apples though Tasmania is famous as the "Apple Island". Where I work I have planted a small orchard of apples, peaches, cherries, apricots, nectarines and I have a stand of raspberry canes. The trees are still too young to produce any fruit yet but will in a few more years.
kind regards,

Ben
Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.

Taṃ nadīhi vijānātha:
sobbhesu padaresu ca,
saṇantā yanti kusobbhā,
tuṇhīyanti mahodadhī.

Sutta Nipata 3.725


Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
User avatar
Ben
Site Admin
 
Posts: 16292
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:49 am
Location: Land of the sleeping gods

Re: Farmer Eaten By His Pigs !!

Postby yawares » Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:07 pm

Ben wrote:Hi Yawares,

Yeah, we know them as Custard Apples and they're grown in Northern New South Wales and in parts of Queensland.
The first time I tried one was when I was at Youth Hostel at Murwillumbah nearly thirty years ago - they're amazing!
Where I live its too cold for custard apples though Tasmania is famous as the "Apple Island". Where I work I have planted a small orchard of apples, peaches, cherries, apricots, nectarines and I have a stand of raspberry canes. The trees are still too young to produce any fruit yet but will in a few more years.
kind regards,

Ben

Dear Ben,

Your Apple Island sounds so nice/pretty...so I yahoo search the pictures :

http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/i ... +australia
--------
Also find this nice picture:

Apple Rock on the south island of New Zealand
http://images.search.yahoo.com/images/v ... Q5s3jI23x8
---------
And Apple Islands in USA :
http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/i ... ple+island

I wish your plants are super fruitful,
yawares
User avatar
yawares
 
Posts: 1532
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:23 pm

Re: Farmer Eaten By His Pigs !!

Postby yawares » Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:11 pm

Cittasanto wrote:
yawares wrote:
Cittasanto wrote:hi yawares
what is SD/JTN?

Dear Cittasanto,
SD = sariputtadhamma discussion group, JTN = Journey To Nibbana also dhamma discussion group.. both groups run by Tep and Dr.Han tun with me as a moderator ....very small groups but we're happy.
yawares

:clap: :twothumbsup: :anjali:

Dear Cittasanto.. :thanks: and :anjali:
yawares
User avatar
yawares
 
Posts: 1532
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:23 pm

Next

Return to Lounge

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: alan, Dan74 and 12 guests