My retreat Experience

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
Ceisiwr

My retreat Experience

Post by Ceisiwr »

Hey everyone

Sorry i havent replied to any posts that have been put to me the last few days but i have been on retreat at Amaravati :D http://www.amaravati.org/abmnew/index.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Had a fantastic time there, really learnt a lot about my meditation practice, the Dhamma, "my self" and Buddhism as a whole. In regards to my practice i really learnt how to let go more, how Dhamma is about letting go of things and not getting things. I used to have the attitude of "im going to get this, im going to understand that, i want to get rid of that" forgetting the 2nd noble truth while doing all this, that wanting to get something or wanting to get rid of something is craving and so dukkha. I understood the 2nd noble truth on an intellectual basis before but i always managed to slightly keep it out of my daily practice until now and although i still have that attitude remaining, im now at least aware of it :) .

Ive also learnt that i have a tendency to want to be right and not want to be wrong but that it isnt a case of being right or wrong or winning arguments (or losing them) all the time but to understand and go past dukkha. I found a deeper focus on the present moment as well thanks to Ajahn Anando, about how looking to past or future is a distraction to understanding Dhamma

Also had a few things come to the surface during the retreat that i didnt know where there before, doubt was one that surprised me, i never noticed it before but now im more aware of it now, its not a massive doubt more a subtle stream of it on occasions. It made me wake up to the fact that i dont know everything and that even though things may seem correct today they can turn out to be wrong tomorow and that all i can do is practice and learn as i go a long and not get caught up in grasping at views, opinions and ideas. I also learnt how to deal with sleepiness (thanks to people snoring lol) through mindfulness and how to be mindful while doing chores and everyday things. Walking meditation was another part of the practice i learnt, found it really helpful to clear ones mind and see things more clearly.

On the social level i had a wonderful exp. being around the monks and other laymen/laywomen. Even though there was noble silence (which i kinda liked) there was a real sense of community that was really nice to feel a part of, even if it was only for a few days. Also found the chanting by the monks to be really beautiful and emotional (felt close to tears at one point :embarassed: :lol: ). I also felt a strong increase in my love of the Buddha, Dhamma, Sangha and people in general as well :)

I also came away with a determination to now definitely seek ordination as soon as my current situation gets better :) and I also formally took the refuge and precepts :D

If anyone gets the chance i would recommend going to amaravati even if its for a day, its a wonderful Wat (the temple is so beautiful) really peaceful and welcoming

On a last note ive decided to leave Dhamma Wheel for a short time. I have realized that at the momen it would be of greater benefit for me to spend the time i use on here in meditation and study instead. Im not leaving for good and will be back at some point but in case i dont speak to anyone on here again for whatever reason i wish you all the best and hope you all find the deathless soon

With metta to everyone

Craig :anjali:
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
Ngawang Drolma.

Re: My retreat Experience

Post by Ngawang Drolma. »

Dear Craig,

I'm so glad for you! I really am :anjali:

I didn't realize that you plan to seek ordination. That's wonderful.

Best wishes,
Laura
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Excellent!

Retreats are often the place where many breakthroughs occur.

Keep us posted on your ordination; place and preceptor, etc., if you do decide to do that.
Rhino

Post by Rhino »

Thanks for describing your experience.
clw_uk wrote: I used to have the attitude of "im going to get this, im going to understand that, i want to get rid of that" forgetting the 2nd noble truth while doing all this, that wanting to get something or wanting to get rid of something is craving and so dukkha. I understood the 2nd noble truth on an intellectual basis before but i always managed to slightly keep it out of my daily practice until now and although i still have that attitude remaining, im now at least aware of it .
Thank you for reminding. That's true but frequently forgotten. I'll try to reflect on it more often.
With best wishes

Only in a vertical view, straight down into the abyss of his own personal existence, is a man capable of apprehending the perilous insecurity of his situation; and only a man who does apprehend this is prepared to listen to the Buddha's Teaching.
Nanavira Thera - Notes on Dhamma
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

Rhino wrote:Thanks for describing your experience.
clw_uk wrote: I used to have the attitude of "im going to get this, im going to understand that, i want to get rid of that" forgetting the 2nd noble truth while doing all this, that wanting to get something or wanting to get rid of something is craving and so dukkha. I understood the 2nd noble truth on an intellectual basis before but i always managed to slightly keep it out of my daily practice until now and although i still have that attitude remaining, im now at least aware of it .
Thank you for reminding. That's true but frequently forgotten. I'll try to reflect on it more often.

Glad to help :)

i found it helpful to realize that understanding Dhamma is just that, understanding. Not wanting or adverting but being mindful and fully aware of the way things are in order to understand. When we are mindful we arent adding or subtracting from experience but understanding it, "gaining" insight into it

this quote by Ajahn Sumedho may be useful for you, it is to me
Awareness is your refuge:
Awareness of the changingness of feelings,
of attitudes, of moods, of material change
and emotional change:
Stay with that, because it's a refuge that is
indestructible.
It's not something that changes.
It's a refuge you can trust in.
This refuge is not something that you create.
It's not a creation. It's not an ideal.
It's very practical and very simple, but
easily overlooked or not noticed.
When you're mindful,
you're beginning to notice,
it's like this.

Metta
Last edited by Ceisiwr on Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

Thanks Drolma and TheDhamma, when (or if, anicca lol) i seek ordination i will let you know :)

Metta
Rhino

Post by Rhino »

clw_uk wrote: this quote by Ajahn Sumedho may be useful for you, it is to me
Awareness is your refuge:
Awareness of the changingness of feelings,
of attitudes, of moods, of material change
and emotional change:
Stay with that, because it's a refuge that is
indestructible.
It's not something that changes.
It's a refuge you can trust in.
This refuge is not something that you create.
It's not a creation. It's not an ideal.
It's very practical and very simple, but
easily overlooked or not noticed.
When you're mindful,
you're beginning to notice,
it's like this.
Great, thank you.

All the best for you. :namaste:
With best wishes

Only in a vertical view, straight down into the abyss of his own personal existence, is a man capable of apprehending the perilous insecurity of his situation; and only a man who does apprehend this is prepared to listen to the Buddha's Teaching.
Nanavira Thera - Notes on Dhamma
GrahamR

My retreat Experience

Post by GrahamR »

clw_uk wrote:Hey everyone

If anyone gets the chance i would recommend going to amaravati even if its for a day, its a wonderful Wat (the temple is so beautiful) really peaceful and welcoming
It's the aniversity of the Wat on 4th of July and there should be a big attendnace, also it's the weekend before Dhamma day.

I'll be there if anyone else is attending, see you!
With metta :bow:
Graham
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Hi Craig,

Sadhu, Sadhu, Sadhu.
Thanks for the nice report. I'm very happy for you.

Metta
Mike
Dan74

Post by Dan74 »

Way to go, Brother!!!!

:twothumbsup:

It's important, I find, to keep that attention after the retreat, so that when we begin to slip into the habitual mode of functioning, the awareness is there and then it won't be "the habitual mode of functioning".

_/|\_
_/|\_
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Craig,

Some excellent learnings there and good luck with your plans.

:buddha1:

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
zavk

Post by zavk »

I'm so glad that you did a retreat. All the best to you and may you continue to uncover the little wisdoms that speak so much.
With metta,
zavk