Tuk Baht

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
luangtom

Tuk Baht

Post by luangtom »

I am seeking knowledge of where I can attain printed information on "tuk baht". I frequent a Lao/Isaan temple and a new American visitor asked where one can find the written definition of "tuk baht". I am at a loss of where to send her for such information that is written. Any help on here? Chok dee.
Goofaholix

Re: Tuk Baht

Post by Goofaholix »

My wife tells me if it's pronounced tuk rather than took it's the same as "sai baht" which means put food into the monks bowl.

If not can you post how it's written in thai script, or what it is or what it's used for.
Pronouns (no self / not self)
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.”
― Ajahn Chah
Mr Man

Post by Mr Man »

I think the word may be ตักบาตร (dtak bhat) which is to offer food into a monks bowl. ตัก (dtak) means to scoop out/serve food/liquid with a large spoon/ladle. A shortening of dtak khao sai baht (scoop rice into the monks bowl)?
Mr Man

Post by Mr Man »

luangtom you could show the visitor the dictionary definition http://www.thai2english.com/dictionary/1310379.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Caraka

Post by Caraka »

Are you sure he did not play you with 'tuk baht' ?

as in

tuk-tuk; motorized samlor taxi [from the sound of its engine]

and

Thai currency: Baht (TH฿)

:tongue:
luangtom

Post by luangtom »

Mr Man wrote:luangtom you could show the visitor the dictionary definition http://www.thai2english.com/dictionary/1310379.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Khob jai lai lai.....this is what I was looking for. Chok dee.