Trying to find a certain sutta

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Tom

Trying to find a certain sutta

Post by Tom »

"When the letters are wrongly pronounced and there is wrong interpretation of their meaning. For when the pronunciation is wrong, the interpretation will also be wrong". On the dhammawheel.com forum someone said that this comes from "A.I,59". However, I didn't seem to find the full sutta this may come from anywhere online. If anyone can help me I'd very much appreciate it.
Last edited by Tom on Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
daverupa

Re: Trying to find a certain sutta

Post by daverupa »

Odd; as far as I can ascertain, A i 59:

"Monks, these two are fools. Which two? The one who doesn't see his transgression as a transgression, and the one who doesn't rightfully pardon another who has confessed his transgression. These two are fools.

"These two are wise people. Which two? The one who sees his transgression as a transgression, and the one who rightfully pardons another who has confessed his transgression. These two are wise people."
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
Alex123

Post by Alex123 »

• 20. Bhikkhus, these two things are conducive to the confusion and disappearance of the Good Teaching. What two? It is the displacement of words and letters that do not convey the meaning and the displaced words and letters not conveying the meaning to the necessary end. Bhikkhus, these two things are conducive to the confusion and the disappearance of the Good Teaching.

21 Bhikkhus, these two things are conducive to the nonconfusion and nondisappearance of the Good Teaching. What two? It is the correct placement of words and letters that convey the meaning and the nondisplaced words and letters conveying the meaning to the necessary end. Bhikkhus, these two things are conducive to the nonconfusion and the nondisappearance of the Good Teaching. AN2.2:20:21
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

ccharles wrote:I've seen this quote attributed to the Buddha before: "When the letters are wrongly pronounced and there is wrong interpretation of their meaning. For when the pronunciation is wrong, the interpretation will also be wrong" (A.I,59). I cannot find the full sutta for this quote anywhere online and can't find this so-called "A.I,59". If anyone can help me I'd very much appreciate it.
Hi ccharles,

Unfortunately, sutta reference can be confusing.
A I 59 (or AN i 59, where the i is Roman for "1"), means volume 1, page 59 of the PTS (Pali Text Society) Pali text.

As Dave points out it can also be labelled as AN 2.21, which is the 21'st sutta in the 2's section:
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... x.html#an2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You'll see on that page that the A i 59 code is also printed there.

The site: http://suttacentral.net/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
can be used to look up suttas. So in this case enter either
an i 59 and click the "Volume/Page reference" box; or
an 2.21 and click the "Abbreviation and number" box.

:anjali:
Mike
Tom

Post by Tom »

Thank you all, however I think Alex may have found what I was looking for. What the person I referred to attributed to "A i 59", doesn't seem to match what you provided.