Simon and Garfunkel

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
cooran

Simon and Garfunkel

Post by cooran »

Hello all,

I'm going to see Simon and Garfunkel tonight!

Can't wait !! :clap:

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/stor ... 80,00.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

with excited metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
retrofuturist

Re: Simon and Garfunkel

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Chris,

I hope they're not old and embarrassing (as some "comeback" performers from back in the day can be).

Retro's Simon & Garfunkel Top 5

1. The Sound Of Silence
2. I Am A Rock
3. Mrs. Robinson
4. The 59th Street Bridge Song (Feelin' Groovy)
5. Cecilia

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
thornbush

Post by thornbush »

Gawd ....so 'retro'...... :rolleye:
jcsuperstar

Post by jcsuperstar »

simon and garfield?

Image Image
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
Ben

Post by Ben »

Good for you Chris!
I can't wait for your concert review.
I remember seeing S&G at the Sydney Showgrounds in 1983. It was an amazing concert!
Metta

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

So how was it, Chris?

:popcorn:

Metta,
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
cooran

Post by cooran »

Ho all,

It was wonderful, but a strange experience. The Entertainment Centre was packed to the rafters, literally. Simon & Garfunkel were accompanied by a band with 8 or 9 highly skilled members in addition to themselves and at times seemed to lift the roof. I was often near to tears - not just at the beauty of some of the lyrics and their voices, but at a strange mix of memories and lost youth. Seeing the audience, which consisted of a mix of two generations, was a great reminder of Impermanence and that we are rushing towards Aging and Death.
"'Just as a river flowing down from the mountains, going far, its current swift, carrying everything with it, so that there is not a moment, an instant, a second where it stands still, but instead it goes & rushes & flows, in the same way, brahmans, the life of human beings is like a river flowing down from the mountains — limited, trifling, of much stress & many despairs. One should touch this [truth] like a sage, do what is skillful, follow the holy life. For one who is born there is no freedom from death.
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And I wondered ... how can Simon and Garfunkel be 67 years of age? They have been among my Favourites for over 30 years ... and I haven't aged at all. :?
I think many people experienced this little 'frisson' when trying to combine the 'youthful' internal memories and feelings with the 'visible objects' in the seats surrounding them, and on the stage.

Photos
Simon & Garfunkel hit Brissie
Simon and Garfunkel concert at Brisbane Entertainment Centre
http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/gall ... -2,00.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I can't say more than happy fans have written here:
http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/comm ... 21,00.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
zavk

Post by zavk »

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the sneak preview. I'm seeing them on 2 July in Perth. I'm not in Australia at the moment, I'm in Singapore visiting my folks. But there's no way I'm going to miss what is probably the last chance to see S&G so I'm flying into Perth just to see them--and i've even splurged on front row tickets. I have no doubt I'd be close to tears too. The two of them are magic together. S&G are as old as my dad and are well ahead of my time but their music, IMO, is timeless. I'll try to share some photos too.
With metta,
zavk
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

I love Simon and Garfunkel...perhaps time to listen to a CD tomorrow...
jcsuperstar

Post by jcsuperstar »

well i thought my joke was funny.... :tongue:
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
Dhammabodhi

Post by Dhammabodhi »

'Old friends' really puts your life in perspective. :jawdrop:
I'm a big fan!
"Take rest, take rest."-S.N.Goenka
genkaku

Post by genkaku »

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings Chris,

I hope they're not old and embarrassing (as some "comeback" performers from back in the day can be).

Retro's Simon & Garfunkel Top 5

1. The Sound Of Silence
2. I Am A Rock
3. Mrs. Robinson
4. The 59th Street Bridge Song (Feelin' Groovy)
5. Cecilia

Metta,
That about sums up my faves as well. :smile:
Fede

Post by Fede »

Chris, I love Simon & Garfunkel. part of my youth and development, I adore their songs.
My partner bought me a CD collection of their albums. Some of the songs are therefore duplicated, but I could listen to El condor Passa and Cecilia, and Mrs Robinson, and Scarborough Fair, and feelin'groovy (yes I know, it's not the title, Retro covered that!) and oh so many, all day long....
My 26-year old daughter adores them too.....
"Samsara: The human condition's heartbreaking inability to sustain contentment." Elizabeth Gilbert, 'Eat, Pray, Love'.

Simplify: 17 into 1 WILL go: Mindfulness!

Quieta movere magna merces videbatur. (Sallust, c.86-c.35 BC)
Translation: Just to stir things up seemed a good reward in itself. ;)

I am sooooo happy - How on earth could I be otherwise?! :D

http://www.armchairadvice.co.uk/relationships/forum/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

The first time I heard S&G was by my brother. ... :weep: