Practice in Burma or Thailand????

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
gavesako

Re: Practice in Burma or Thailand????

Post by gavesako »

The most comprehensive guide to meditation centers in SE Asia (and up-to-date) is at http://www.retreat-infos.de/page24/page24.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (English and German). You will get the information from people who actually stayed there.

Another good overview of different centers in SE Asia is at http://www.wanderingdhamma.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Regarding the Vinaya standards of Thai monks, it is true that even in the previously strict forest tradition (Phra Pah), which mainly comprises the Dhammayut sect with the exception of Ajahn Chah monks and a few others, the rule about not keeping money has been falling by the wayside in recent years. So it is not uncommon to find Thai monks in brown forest monk's robes and with tudong gear putting some envelope with money into their bag or handling a credit card. However, I can confirm that Wat Pah Nanachat monks receive strict training on this and other Vinaya rules and are not allowed to handle or receive money themselves, nor keep it for the monastery. If someone wants to support their travel expenses or the building projects or printing of books, they can leave their donation in an appropriate box where it will be taken care of by a layperson (kappiya-karaka) accountant. The monks will be able to specify what they require and the layperson can then go and buy it. But we are not allowed to have personal accounts or credit cards or carry money with us.

Regarding the study of Pali and Tipitaka, the forest monks try to go back to the lifestyle of the Buddha's early disciples who lived simply and in nature, so they do not pursue academic studies generally. They also tend to rely on the early Pali texts and their message which is rather simple and straightforward, without going into all the refined details developed in the commentaries and sub-commentaries centuries after the Buddha. There has always been this division in Theravada and it will probably continue...

:reading: :buddha1:
Bhikkhu Gavesako
Kiṃkusalagavesī anuttaraṃ santivarapadaṃ pariyesamāno... (MN 26)

Access to Insight - Theravada texts
Ancient Buddhist Texts - Translations and history of Pali texts
Dhammatalks.org - Sutta translations
theY

Re: Practice in Burma or Thailand????

Post by theY »

Hello, Gavesako.

I think we should have a new topic in these point:

-Handling/Receiving money for saṅgha of some foreigner abbot that I had listened from my monk who live in that monastery about 1 year.

-Memorized only bhikkhu pātimokkha of thai pra-paa and another.
Can have āpattis: Dukkaṭa every morning of nissaya-able--follow to kandaka-tradition writed in commentary. Dukkaṭa to nissayā-giver who can't memorize and determine 2 pātimokkhas--follow to tipitaka, or 2 vibhaṅga--follow to(follow by ?) commentary.

-Ācārn Man learned abhidhamma--follow to tipitaka, but new generation ācārn and his monks don't care abhidhamma.

etc.

-----------------------------------
I love many action what Pra-Paa do more than my monk action.

However, we still should talk together in many topics of dhammavinaya, because trying to talk together and understand between buddha-parisadda is the right way to observe our sāsana--follow to pātimokkha.

I try to make agreement with every interlocutors of me, that in the end of discussion, we must still love one another, and talk together next time in the same topic until we will have a co-conclusion, irrespective of discussion.

It is necessary and seriously to make this agreement in Thailand, and I choose to tell like it here, too. Because I don't want to make another feel annoyed. I just wanna to talk dhammavinaya to make clearly understanding between us.
-----------------------------------

Oh, I make off-topic more than I thought.
Above message maybe out of date. Latest update will be in massage's link.
--------------------------------------------------
Tipitaka memorization is a rule of monks. It isn't just a choice. They must done it.
bahussuto nāma tividho hoti – nissayamuccanako, parisupaṭṭhāpako, bhikkhunovādakoti.
http://UnmixedTheravada.blogspot.com/20 ... monks.html