Hi

Introduce yourself to others at Dhamma Wheel.
Moomin

Hi

Post by Moomin »

Hey
I am completly new to this but want to learn more. I have read lots online but thought i woulc learn more talking to people first hand.

Many thanks :)
Cittasanto

Re: Hi

Post by Cittasanto »

Hi
Welcome Aboard!

What have you been reading?
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Moomin

Post by Moomin »

Hey....the dreaded wikipedia..... i'll be completly honest i am so new to this its slightly embaressing. basically i started holistic therapy. which included alot on chakra and i went from there. so i need to find out lots anf any recommendations on reading would be much appreciated
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

:hello:

Welcome to Dhamma Wheel!

:buddha1:
Moomin

Post by Moomin »

Thank you so very much. I hope I can learn alot here :)
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Moomin wrote:Hey....the dreaded wikipedia..... i'll be completly honest i am so new to this its slightly embaressing. basically i started holistic therapy. which included alot on chakra and i went from there. so i need to find out lots anf any recommendations on reading would be much appreciated
Wiki isn't too bad but there is the Dhamma Encyclopedia http://www.dhammawiki.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; which is a sister/mother/cousin site to here.
here isn't a general Buddhism forum but a Theravada forum so some information you may get from Wiki may be viewed in a different light here.

there is Access to insight which has loads of books and texts which are good for a new comer http://www.accesstoinsight.org/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and is of the same school as this forum.

if you need any help members here would be happy to help but be careful where you post as some forums do have specific rules and if you are looking for general information the general Dhamma would be the best place but discovering theravada is the best for asking about this tradition, if you want to ask about mahayana or vajrayana there is the sister forum http://www.dharmawheel.net/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

but so you don't need to keep looking here the bottom of all pages have the links to related sites (except access to insight).

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

this is probably the best place to start on access to insight
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/ptf/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; if that is of any help :)

John Stuart Mill
Moomin

Post by Moomin »

Ahh thank you very much. at the momet it is all very confusing and seems so vast. i gather there are basic principles but maybe i am premature joining here. thank you again
LonesomeYogurt

Post by LonesomeYogurt »

Moomin wrote:Ahh thank you very much. at the momet it is all very confusing and seems so vast. i gather there are basic principles but maybe i am premature joining here. thank you again
Don't worry about not being ready - everyone starts somewhere!

Welcome aboard!
Gain and loss, status and disgrace,
censure and praise, pleasure and pain:
these conditions among human beings are inconstant,
impermanent, subject to change.

Knowing this, the wise person, mindful,
ponders these changing conditions.
Desirable things don’t charm the mind,
undesirable ones bring no resistance.

His welcoming and rebelling are scattered,
gone to their end,
do not exist.
- Lokavipatti Sutta

Stuff I write about things.
Moomin

Post by Moomin »

Thanks alot. :) I really appreciate any information. Everyones very welcoming :)
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Moomin wrote:Ahh thank you very much. at the momet it is all very confusing and seems so vast. i gather there are basic principles but maybe i am premature joining here. thank you again
small steps!
if you are focused on how much you need to learn, it makes it more difficult and less enjoyable.

John Stuart Mill
bodom

Post by bodom »

Welcome Moomin!

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
Moomin

Post by Moomin »

Thank you very much guys. I hope to learn lots:)
gelcarseat

Post by gelcarseat »

Hi,
I'm new for your site and totally glad to see you in Google search engine. Thanks for acknowledging my registration and to accept me.
socoguy78

Post by socoguy78 »

Dhamma Greetings,

Try this site out... http://www.dhammasukha.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; The abott teachs directly from the Buddhist suttas, mainly from the majjhima nikaya translated by Bhikkhu Bodhi. He leaves commentary out. You can generaly see good progress very fast and enter the Jhanas spoken about in the suttas quiet easily if the building blocks are in place nicely!
Much Maha Metta
Zach
aka Ven Gunadasa