Solitude

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
BlueLotus

Solitude

Post by BlueLotus »

What is mean by solitude in Buddhism?
How important is solitude to practice?
How do you include solitude to your daily life?
Cittasanto

Re: Solitude

Post by Cittasanto »

BlueLotus wrote:What is mean by solitude in Buddhism?
it depends, seclusion (viveka) can refer to
bodily seclusion (kayaviveka) where one is removed from society or company.
mental seclusion (cittaviveka) where one is separated from the hindrances.
Or seclusion from the substrates (upadhiviveka) which is enlightenment.

another grouping found in The Path of Discrimination (paṭisambhidāmagga,) the section on solitude (vivekakathā,) which include - by suppression (vikkhambhaṇaviveka;) by displacement (tadaṇgaviveka;) by cutting off (samucchedaviveka;) by calming down (paṭipassaddhiviveka;) and by escape (nissaraṇaviveka.)
although the Visudhimagga (140) has kāyaviveka, cittaviveka, vikkhambhanaviveka, i. e. physically, mentally, ethically;

Solitude is important, being able to spend time to yourself can be a recharge point to be able to deal with others better, or simply time to practice. the Buddha hevily praised seclusion, and although we can not always have physical seclusion developing a mindset which allows us space is beneficial.

I prefer sicence to solitude (in everyday circumstances, work...) but when at home I spend allot of time alone, and when not meditating try to be focused on what I am doing rather than on what is next to do - this is easier said than done when I am having to think what is next all the time for the team and make sure things are ready.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
thaijeppe

Re: Solitude

Post by thaijeppe »

What is meant by solitude in Buddhism?
Cittasantos explanation is eminent
Solitude is an important part of the practice, in the beginning it is proberly difficult for most, but when you develop your pratice it
becomes rather natural. Also when you practise meditation your benefits will be enhanced if you do it in solitude.

I make sure that I have "solitude time" every day.
Firstly: I get up 4:00 AM every morning, to do my morning meditation, the mornings are very good because there are no disturbance and
most people sleep.
Secondly: In the early evening I have found a place, not far from where I live in an oilpalm plantation, were i also can be totally alone and meditate.

What is important is that where ever you are you find some times and places for solitude

:anjali:
Jeppe
If you let go a little, you will have a little peace. If you
let go a lot, you will have a lot of peace. If you let go completely,
you will know complete peace and freedom.
Ajahn Chah