Mom Arrested After Giving Her 11-year-old a Tattoo!?

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
yawares

Mom Arrested After Giving Her 11-year-old a Tattoo!?

Post by yawares »

Dear Members,

Mom Arrested After Giving Her 11-year-old a Tattoo!? :jumping:
[By Lylah M. Alphonse, Senior Editor]

Odessa Clay was arrested after she gave her daughter a tattoo.If your pre-teen wanted a tattoo, would you let her get one? A North Carolina mom who moonlights as a tattoo artist figured it would be fine, and now she's in trouble with police for giving her 11-year-old daughter a tattoo.

"She asked me to do it," 30-year-old Odessa Clay, who sports plenty of her own body art, told WCTI-TV. The tattoo is of a small heart near the girl's right shoulder.

Related: Would you let your 10-year-old get a tattoo?

Clay told the TV station that she thought minors could get tattoos as long as their parents approved; given that she's the girl's mother, she didn't think it would be a problem. Clay, who also hangs drywall and sells Mary Kay products, according to her public Facebook page, said that she used her own tattoo instruments and numbed her daughter's arm before permanently drawing on the outline of a heart.

"I didn't fill it in," she said, adding that the girl was not in any pain.

Will you be mad if your kids get tattoos? :o :x
yawares..I'll not if the tattoo is tiny/cute. :thinking: :shrug:
Annapurna

Re: Mom Arrested After Giving Her 11-year-old a Tattoo!?

Post by Annapurna »

I wouldn't get "mad" because I'm not so emotional anyways.

But I would not support a tattoo and I would forbid it until she is 18.

I think I would gain her insight and consent too! :smile:

Like, I am to this day thankful to my mother for one thing:

These types of shoes where fashion when I was 13, 14...

I WANTED them!!!

Ao my mother and I went to a shoe shop.... and there was a lady sitting with feet like this....

and she had lots of diffculties, trying to slip into shoes "...ohh...ahhh....ouch...."

And my mother said, that I would get feet like this too, if I wore pointed shoes while I am still so young and growing,and that I should wait just a few more years, and then I could wear them and not deform my feet with them.

I said: "But I will be the only one at the party without those those shoes....!"

And mother said:

"And in 4 years, you will be the only one without deformed feet! All your friends will have hallux valgus, pain and issues, and you won't!! ;)

And I said: "Ok. 4 years is not too long...." and tried comfy shoes...

When I was 18, I still didn't want to wear unhealthy shoes and today, my toes are still straight.

I have exactly one pair of high heels ( I wrote high hells :lol: ) and haven't worn them in 20 years....
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

Dear Yawares,

Forgot to say and can't edit:

a tattoo is usually a decision for life...and teens usually have all these fast changing tastes and preferances..

I'd allow my daughter crazy hair and cloths, but skin tattoos and piercings, except for earlobes : I'd try and talk her out of it.

Turn 18.... ;)

If you ever watch Heidi Klums show or runway, the candidates first have to remove their piercings...!

Tattoos are also unwelcome...
corrine

Post by corrine »

I would not allow any eleven year old to make an irrevocable decision that may, in fact, impact her ability to obtain the career of her choice. And might impact her future health.

As a woman who has worked in HR and still has friends in that business, I can tell you for sure that there are fields that do not want young women who have body art. Hanging drywall, I would think, is not one of them. But the financial fields and others that require customer contact and wish their customers to be comfortable with representatives, may hesitate to hire a young woman with visible tattoos. Not that this reason would be given. But when there is a choice between two equally qualified candidates for a position, the job is probably going to the one with no visible issues. That may or may not be right, but it is a fact. And i would want my child to have the very best chance of achieving in the field of her choice. So no tattoos, or visible piercings etc. And I recently read a medical report that said that now that large numbers of individuals are getting tattoos, cancer studies are beginning to indicate a correlation between tattoos and cancer. They also described a long list of chemicals used in tattooing that are carcinogenic or otherwise toxic.

When a young person reaches the age of majority, he/she can make those decisions. But at the preteen level, it is very unwise to allow them to make permanent negative choices. Would you allow them to smoke or drink or use drugs? Probably not, but those are not necessarily any worse than a tattoo, especially if the cancer fears turn out to be real. My late husband had five tattoos that he acquired during overseas military service. A couple of them were true works of art. But they did hurt his career advancement and he had to wear long sleeves even in the summer heat, and he did develop a cancer for which his doctors could not find a cause. He had none of the usual cancer causing bad habits or genetic issues. He did have the body art. Who knows? Maybe there was a connection, maybe not. But does a parent have the right to take this chance with a child? If she wishes to cover herself from head to toe with tattoos, it is her choice. But not to do this to a child.

Good parenting means doing what is best for your child's present and future and doing nothing that might negatively impact his/her health. Skin is the bodies largest organ and is capable of absorbing all sorts of toxic things. Heck these days we even cover our children with sunscreen to prevent future cancers. A child's skin needs protection, not tattooing. I think that this was a very poor choice and perhaps she needs to take a parenting class to assure that she does not make other, irreversible negative decisions for her daughter.

corrine :smile:
Ben

Post by Ben »

For me parenthood is about training your kids to think about their actions and make good decisions.
My 17-year-old son is very interested in tattoos. While he knows his mother and I do not have any nor are we in favour of them, he does come to us and talk about his interest. We don't brow beat him into a particular course of action but listen to him, discuss his interest with him and raise things he may not have thought about.
kind regards,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
yawares

Post by yawares »

Dear Annapurna,
Your shoes story made me laugh..so funny!! I never have that kind of shoes...or any tattoo...BUT I THINK ANGELINAJOLI..THE USA GOODWILL AMBASSADOR MIGHT LET HER INTERNATIONAL KIDS GET TATTOOS ANYTIME !! :thinking: :tongue:
http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/i ... ie+tattoos" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

yawares
yawares

Post by yawares »

Dear Corrine,
I agree with you 100% :thumbsup:
yawares....but in this case, it's just a tiny :heart: that she might do it to show love to her kid..not the big thing to arrest her!! I would feel so sad if police arrested my mom for tiny stupid tatoo.! :cry:
yawares

Post by yawares »

Dear Ben,
I agree with you 100%...plus if my kid really wanted tattoos just for stupid fashion I would tell her to buy beautiful removable tattoos at Walmart...just stick it and go..best for Halloween!!
yawares :tongue: :smile:
bodom

Post by bodom »

432271_393318140694235_1039355244_n.jpg
432271_393318140694235_1039355244_n.jpg (48.9 KiB) Viewed 3629 times
Im a fan of tattoos. I got this one a few months back and look forward to getting more. Both me and my girlfriend have tattoos and if my kids wanted tattoos, provided there of legal age and its nothing extreme, im all for it.

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
yawares

Post by yawares »

Dear "bodom",
Is your Buddha tattoo big like the picture? How long did it take to get it done? Were you in pain? Well... AngelinaJoli has more tattoos!!
I saw cute Buddha tattoo here:
http://images.search.yahoo.com/images/v ... Q5s3jI23x8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

yawares :jumping:
Yana

Post by Yana »

yawares wrote:Dear Members,

Mom Arrested After Giving Her 11-year-old a Tattoo!? :jumping:
[By Lylah M. Alphonse, Senior Editor]

Odessa Clay was arrested after she gave her daughter a tattoo.If your pre-teen wanted a tattoo, would you let her get one? A North Carolina mom who moonlights as a tattoo artist figured it would be fine, and now she's in trouble with police for giving her 11-year-old daughter a tattoo.

"She asked me to do it," 30-year-old Odessa Clay, who sports plenty of her own body art, told WCTI-TV. The tattoo is of a small heart near the girl's right shoulder.

Related: Would you let your 10-year-old get a tattoo?

Clay told the TV station that she thought minors could get tattoos as long as their parents approved; given that she's the girl's mother, she didn't think it would be a problem. Clay, who also hangs drywall and sells Mary Kay products, according to her public Facebook page, said that she used her own tattoo instruments and numbed her daughter's arm before permanently drawing on the outline of a heart.

"I didn't fill it in," she said, adding that the girl was not in any pain.

Will you be mad if your kids get tattoos? :o :x
yawares..I'll not if the tattoo is tiny/cute. :thinking: :shrug:

i think the police should be out there catching real criminals.. :|

:tongue:
Life is preparing for Death
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

Dear Yawares,

yeah, and lots of women need operations for hallux valgus!

Angelina, -I don't know what she would do, and if I knew, it wouldn't matter to me.
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

corrine wrote:I would not allow any eleven year old to make an irrevocable decision that may, in fact, impact her ability to obtain the career of her choice. And might impact her future health.

As a woman who has worked in HR and still has friends in that business, I can tell you for sure that there are fields that do not want young women who have body art. Hanging drywall, I would think, is not one of them. But the financial fields and others that require customer contact and wish their customers to be comfortable with representatives, may hesitate to hire a young woman with visible tattoos. Not that this reason would be given. But when there is a choice between two equally qualified candidates for a position, the job is probably going to the one with no visible issues. That may or may not be right, but it is a fact. And i would want my child to have the very best chance of achieving in the field of her choice. So no tattoos, or visible piercings etc. And I recently read a medical report that said that now that large numbers of individuals are getting tattoos, cancer studies are beginning to indicate a correlation between tattoos and cancer. They also described a long list of chemicals used in tattooing that are carcinogenic or otherwise toxic.

When a young person reaches the age of majority, he/she can make those decisions. But at the preteen level, it is very unwise to allow them to make permanent negative choices. Would you allow them to smoke or drink or use drugs? Probably not, but those are not necessarily any worse than a tattoo, especially if the cancer fears turn out to be real. My late husband had five tattoos that he acquired during overseas military service. A couple of them were true works of art. But they did hurt his career advancement and he had to wear long sleeves even in the summer heat, and he did develop a cancer for which his doctors could not find a cause. He had none of the usual cancer causing bad habits or genetic issues. He did have the body art. Who knows? Maybe there was a connection, maybe not. But does a parent have the right to take this chance with a child? If she wishes to cover herself from head to toe with tattoos, it is her choice. But not to do this to a child.

Good parenting means doing what is best for your child's present and future and doing nothing that might negatively impact his/her health. Skin is the bodies largest organ and is capable of absorbing all sorts of toxic things. Heck these days we even cover our children with sunscreen to prevent future cancers. A child's skin needs protection, not tattooing. I think that this was a very poor choice and perhaps she needs to take a parenting class to assure that she does not make other, irreversible negative decisions for her daughter.

corrine :smile:
I agree!

I'd like to add, that kids and teens are still growing, their immunity and hormonal system isn't mature yet, and their cells are a lot more susceptible to toxins than those of an adult.

I worked with a tattoo artist for a while, and he told me for instance that some colors contain so many toxins, that mothers are told not to breastfeed babies for 3 years after a fresh tattoo, -the milk would be too loaded with chemicals and damage the child...!

And some women aren't told...

While this would mean feeding a baby poison, -breastfeeding would actually help the woman to detoxify and it would be good for her to do so, but the best way if course is not to risk your own and your childrens health with silly fashion symbols that can easily be replaced with other attention-seeking stuff.

In Arabian lands, Henna is used for tattoos, I believe in New Zealand they also used natural substances, but nowadays, we just don't know what we are getting.

And considering the load of chemicals we are already exposed to, we should try to avoid what we can easily avoid.
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

bodom wrote:
432271_393318140694235_1039355244_n.jpg
Im a fan of tattoos. I got this one a few months back and look forward to getting more. Both me and my girlfriend have tattoos and if my kids wanted tattoos, provided there of legal age and its nothing extreme, im all for it.

Better make sure that you both use colors that allow her to breastfeed, because after many colors, you should not breastfeed for 3 years and not all artists tell you that.
bodom

Post by bodom »

Dear "bodom",
Is your Buddha tattoo big like the picture? How long did it take to get it done? Were you in pain? Well... AngelinaJoli has more tattoos!!
I saw cute Buddha tattoo here:
http://images.search.yahoo.com/images/v" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... Q5s3jI23x8

yawares
Hi yawares

See here:

Tattoo
http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=11653" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB