How does one train or transition to being a monk or nun?

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
autumn

How does one train or transition to being a monk or nun?

Post by autumn »

Im 18 and i was wondering how to go about dedicating my life to Buddhas teachings. I find meditation really hard as i always get thoughts like am i doing it right? but i try anyway . I do not know any Buddhists that can help guide me , how do i go about training or getting in touch with monastics or just a retreat that can let me stay to try it out ? should i go ahead and eat one meal and maybe a snack before noon and thats it to go by the not eating untimely meals precept ? i want to go ahead and shave my head and do everything i can to renounce regular life already . Any advice? i feel like i sound foolish or ignorant and stupid...
reflection

Re: How does one train or transition to being a monk or nun?

Post by reflection »

Hi,

Shaving your head, eating one meal a day and all those things are not a requirement for good meditation. So if you want to practice the Buddha's path, practice meditation and get it to be a bit easier. Taking on the 5 precepts will help also. But forget about those other precepts and things, they are not for lay people and are not the essence of Buddhism.

To help get your meditation to work you could consider going on a retreat somewhere, for a week or so.

With metta,
Reflection
autumn

Post by autumn »

Thank you , for your help i didnt think anyone was going to respond either.
LonesomeYogurt

Post by LonesomeYogurt »

Where in the world do you live, if I may ask? I could probably get you a website for a nearby monastery or something.
Gain and loss, status and disgrace,
censure and praise, pleasure and pain:
these conditions among human beings are inconstant,
impermanent, subject to change.

Knowing this, the wise person, mindful,
ponders these changing conditions.
Desirable things don’t charm the mind,
undesirable ones bring no resistance.

His welcoming and rebelling are scattered,
gone to their end,
do not exist.
- Lokavipatti Sutta

Stuff I write about things.
whynotme

Post by whynotme »

Dear autumn,

Firstly, the sangha rules don't allow someone under 20 to be ordained, not 100% enforced but you should consider that.

Now, you are too young, it is an advantage and disadvantage at the same time. Your mind is purer, not much inclined to the worldly things, it is an advantage, but you don't have much experience about life, don't have the ability to understand and bear the difficulties of life like pain, diseases, sadness.. it is an disadvantage. Live the monk life is not easy.

Regards
Please stop following me
waimengwan

Post by waimengwan »

Look for a center or monastery that has a novice monk program. Novice monk is programs whereby you can become a monk for a period of time.
You can study up on the vows of a monk and start familiarising with them and trying to hold them first.
Monks are the people who preserve the Buddhist tradition they are well respected for their determination and for their pivotal role in perserving buddha dharma.
barcsimalsi

Post by barcsimalsi »

Modern days are different from ancient time. Long ago people don't have internet to research and study about religion so becoming a monk under monastery guidance is the most effective way for them to learn. Thanks to the hard work of Atheist scientist the world has develop to benefit us so much.

Secondly, there is so much distraction to practice meditation as a lay person. If we can set up a well soundproof room and abandon unnecessary activities, it doesn't matter becoming a monk or lay person we can still progress.

But the biggest problem is financing the household so in the end monkhood is still the best way to practice Buddhism. Ahh! looks like i was confused by the statement i made. :tongue: