Noting pain in knee , back ,foot OR pain

Discussion of Satipatthana bhavanā and Vipassana bhavana.

Noting pain in knee , back ,foot OR pain

Postby purple planet » Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:46 pm

I note by labeling - when i walk in meditation and "normal" walking i get pains should i note them all as "pain ,pain, pain" or "pain in knee, pain in knee , pain in knee " and "pain in foot ,pain in knee , pain in knee " ??

I have one thought in favor of noting things in each way :

As i see it to think about where is the pain is like not being aware of the pain but start being "inside" of it

on the other hand the pain definitely "moves" from place to place so when noting where it is its easier to see its "impermanence"
Please send merit to my dog named Mika who has passed away - thanks in advance
purple planet

Re: Noting pain in knee , back ,foot OR pain

Postby daverupa » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:22 pm

The noting is like a quick blast of a jet engine in space; you use it for course correction, but you don't use it in a sustained fashion once you're on course. So, noting either way, or another way entirely, is useful if it reestablishes satisampajanna, and useless if it does not.
    "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.
- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
daverupa

Return to Insight Meditation