web of views

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
santa100

Re: web of views

Post by santa100 »

befriend wrote:
"how does one prevent the arising of a wrong view through right effort? views can be be knotted and sticky"

You could try the 5-prong plan of attack from MN 20 ( http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; )..
ground

Post by ground »

befriend wrote:what does one do when they get a wrong view. say someone denies karma. and they know its a wrong view but just cant seem to accept karma. when the thought "i cant beleive karma" comes up into there minds should they just not cling to that thought and let it pass. or should they try to figure it out and develop right view through study.
Where does this urge to either affirm or negate come from? Isn't it consciousess' affirming its own inclination to the extremes "this is right" and "this is wrong" which is self-identification and appropriation of self felt as "this thought/view is mine" and "I am by means of thinking/holding this view"?
"The world in general, Kaccaayana, grasps after systems and is imprisoned by dogmas.[5] But he[6] does not go along with that system-grasping, that mental obstinacy and dogmatic bias, does not grasp at it, does not affirm: 'This is my self.'[7] He knows without doubt or hesitation that whatever arises is merely dukkha[8] that what passes away is merely dukkha and such knowledge is his own, not depending on anyone else. This, Kaccaayana, is what constitutes right view.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .wlsh.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
befriend

Post by befriend »

to prevent unwholsome states from arising one uses sense restraint.
Take care of mindfulness and mindfulness will take care of you.
befriend

Post by befriend »

[quote="Bhikkhu Pesala"]The three unwholesome mental kammas — covetousness, ill-will, and wrong-view — arise in the mind. If we apply mindfulness to them, then we can stop them from multiplying and becoming stronger. For example:

Bikkhu Pesala, is this enough to eliminate a wrong view or does this antidote only keep them from multiplying and becoming stronger? thank you, puja, Befriend
Take care of mindfulness and mindfulness will take care of you.
Mal

Post by Mal »

befriend wrote:what does one do when they get a wrong view. say someone denies karma. and they know its a wrong view but just cant seem to accept karma.
How can you know, in your unenlightened state, if the 'law of karma' is right or wrong? Why not suspend judgement on this? Doing so leads to a calmer mind as you are no longer thinking about this issue, which is unresolvable for the unenlightened mind (or at least for my unenlightened mind!)

Wouldn't it be better to avoid studying too much, keep your mind open, and start meditating more?
befriend wrote: ... when the thought "i cant beleive karma" comes up into there minds should they just not cling to that thought and let it pass. or should they try to figure it out and develop right view through study.
During meditation you should certainly not cling to that, or any other, thought! But outside meditation, exploring these questions seems a good idea to me, at least to get to the state of epoché and ataraxia, as recommended by Pyrrhonian skeptics.