Samatha is very important for capitalism who want to access to in-sign by vipassanaa.
What is your reference book?
If you doubt about the recalling, you should see page 11:http://www.dhammatalks.net/Books7/Pa_Au ... tthana.pdf
VIPASSANAA~NAA.NA AND ABHI~N~NAA
Concerning the discernment of past and future some vener able teachers have the opinion that only if one attains abhi~n~naa, especially pubbenivaasaanussati abhi~n~naa then one can discern the past and future. There are 2 ways of discerning past and futu re which are by pubbenivaasaanussati abhi~n~naa ~naa.na and vipassanaa ~naa.na. In the khandhavagga s a.myutta paali, khajjaniiya sutta and the commentary of that sutta taught...
He stress to teach step by step same visuddhimagga and his teaching style is atthakathā style--nettipakaraṇa-book pattern.Moreover, he choose the most likely way to enlighten nibbāna for the most the trainable fool(neyya), also that is the hardest and deepest meditation at this time, too.
If you can't enlightenin this life by his way, you may be padaparama--4th in this link.
The brief of visuddhimagga style :
1. Organize your sīla.
2. Meditate any samatha to get closer-jhanna(upacārasamādhi), or any jhana--another teachers have not amount to the same care this step.
3. Analyze each piece of your whole body into paramatthas until namarūpaparicchedayāna will arise.
You must enough stressful clearly realize--visuddhi, that "Everything are only paramatthas, haven't another, such as satta, out of paramatthas", for analyze paccaya at next step.
4. Analyze the relationship of that analyzed body by paccaya--cause, and paccayuppanna--effect, until paccayapariggahayāna will arise.
You must enough clearly realize, that "Everything every paramattha must arise by arisement of the cause. If every causes vanished, every effects just vanished, too". You should do this step until tilakkhana seeing will happen in your mind, because it need to support unlimited tilakkhana seeing at next step.
5. Expand your tilakkhana seeing to everything at everytime, everywhere, every statement, every quality.
6. Stress to realize to arising and vanishing to accumulate disenchantment.
You should enlighten nibbāna at the end of this process.
Everybody who meditation in his course will live with jaṅkama, strenuous sitting, or read tipitaka to solve their kammaṭṭhāna doubt, such as another student in another school do.
However, tipitaka professional can discover many difference between them.http://tipitakanews.org/en/node/30