YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Pharmacological Aids to Enlightenment - Page 4 - Dhamma Wheel

Pharmacological Aids to Enlightenment

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths. What can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Buckwheat

Re: Pharmacological Aids to Enlightenment

Postby Buckwheat » Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:47 am

Last edited by Buckwheat on Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sotthī hontu nirantaraṃ - May you forever be well.

Buckwheat

Postby Buckwheat » Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:56 am

ancientbuddhism

Postby ancientbuddhism » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:48 pm

I say, beware of all enterprises that require new clothes, and not rather a new wearer of clothes.” – Henry David Thoreau, Walden, 1854

Secure your own mask before assisting others. – NORTHWEST AIRLINES (Pre-Flight Instruction)

ancientbuddhism

Postby ancientbuddhism » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:54 pm

I say, beware of all enterprises that require new clothes, and not rather a new wearer of clothes.” – Henry David Thoreau, Walden, 1854

Secure your own mask before assisting others. – NORTHWEST AIRLINES (Pre-Flight Instruction)

mikenz66

Postby mikenz66 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:05 pm

Ben

Postby Ben » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:41 pm

Thank you, Mike for posting Brad Warner's excellent article.
kind regards,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

(Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • •

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com..

mikenz66

Postby mikenz66 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:08 am

Ben

Postby Ben » Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:32 am

“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

(Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • •

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com..

Buckwheat

Postby Buckwheat » Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:49 am

Ah, the Soto monk perspective with a punk rock vocabulary. Brilliant!!

Could spiritual exercises fall into this category? Some of the old ascetic practices that the Buddha rejected seem to fall into a similar category. I was talked into attending a Kundalini breathing class where we laid down and hyperventilated until we got drunk on oxygen. I was so overwhelmed the first time, that I decided to go back and try to figure out if there was something to this, or if it was just getting drunk on oxygen. I ended up just categorizing it as feel-goodism and intoxication.

Kamran

Postby Kamran » Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:52 am

I think the problem is that you have to experience the process of insight before you are be able to understand what the higher goal of meditation is.
"Silence gives answers"

Jalal ad-Din Muhammad Rumi

Alobha

Postby Alobha » Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:27 am

danieLion

Postby danieLion » Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:51 am

Glad to see Brad Warner getting some respect here. Very classy. Many years ago before (and maybe a little ways into) becoming a serious yogi, I experimented with psychedelic drugs under the hopeful delusions Warner describes. I got some results I suppose, but nothing even close compared to long-term, consistent, sober practice. It's much more satisfying and productive to progress without chemical "aids" and conducive to learning self-reliance and indepence from sensuality, which psychedelics tend to obscure and in some encourage--much like pining for pretty nimitta lights and imputing meanings to them that aren't there.

Moth

Postby Moth » Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:48 am

While the topic of using nootropics as an aid to concentration is surely debatable, the idea of using Amphetamine (Adderall) as a meditation aid is simply ridiculous. I use to take Adderall, as I was prescribed it for ADD. I also used to meditate on it, and while it did allow me to maintain focus on the breath quite well, the pleasant effects, the peacefulness, the calm, would not arise like does when I am sober. Adderall is highly potent, highly mind-altering. Nootropics are interesting as they are cognitive enhancers, but again I do not think that meditation is simply about being super-focused. How you approach meditation, and how you hold the meditation object, seems to be a fractal expression of how you handle all things in your life. Looking for shortcuts is not necessarily helpful. I may be wrong about this, but I'll take a guess that the search for a neurological understanding of Nibbana is a dead end.
May you be happy. May you be a peace. May you be free from suffering.
http://www.everythingspirals.com

Return to “Connections to Other Paths”