parinibbana - yes or no?

A forum for members who wish to develop a deeper understanding of the Pali Canon and associated Commentaries, which for discussion purposes are both treated as authoritative.

Moderator: Mahavihara moderator

parinibbana - yes or no?

Postby clw_uk » Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:55 pm

As far i can make out parinibbana is nibbana after death or the final nibbana. Does this accord with the buddhas teachings or not? I understood nibbana that can be achieved here and now to be it, there is no beyond it.
“ Your mind is likewise blocked. But the right road awaits you still. Cast out your doubts, your fears and your desires, let go of grief and of hope as well, for where these rule , then the mind is their subject." Boetius
clw_uk

Re: parinibbana - yes or no?

Postby Jechbi » Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:35 pm

Hello clw,

Take a look at this thread.

:smile:
Rain soddens what is kept wrapped up,
But never soddens what is open;
Uncover, then, what is concealed,
Lest it be soddened by the rain.
Jechbi

Postby clw_uk » Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:37 pm

Thanks jechbi, didnt see that topic

:smile:
“ Your mind is likewise blocked. But the right road awaits you still. Cast out your doubts, your fears and your desires, let go of grief and of hope as well, for where these rule , then the mind is their subject." Boetius
clw_uk

Postby Element » Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:59 pm

The suttas mention both Nibbana here & now and Parinibbana, which is the Buddha's death.

The suttas primarily teach about Nibbana here & now, which is defined as the cessation of greed, hatred & delusion.

For one opinion on Nibbana, you can google the web for 'Nibbana for Everyone' by Bhikkhu Buddhadasa.
Element

Postby Jason » Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:48 am

clw_uk,

clw_uk wrote:As far i can make out parinibbana is nibbana after death or the final nibbana. Does this accord with the buddhas teachings or not? I understood nibbana that can be achieved here and now to be it, there is no beyond it.

Accoring to Nyanatiloka's Manual of Buddhist Terms and Doctrines, parinibbana, literally "full Nibbana," is "a synonym for Nibbana; this term, therefore, does not refer exclusively to the extinction of the 5 groups of existence (khandha) at the death of the Holy One, though often applied to it."

Jason
"Sabbe dhamma nalam abhinivesaya" (AN 7.58).

leaves in the hand (Buddhist-related blog)
leaves in the forest (non-Buddhist related blog)
Jason

Return to Classical Theravāda