Vipassana Jhanas?

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
Ben

Re: Vipassana Jhanas?

Post by Ben »

Micheal Kush wrote:
Ben wrote:Mike,

If you are inclined towards Mahasi-style vipassana - go for it.
Come what may, painful sensations, pleasurable sensations or neutral sensations - just give it your all for at least a year.
Practice under the guidance of a teacher or an experienced kalayanamitta, and attend residential retreats when you can.
After a year - if you feel that it has been of benefit to you - continue with it.
with metta,

Ben

Well said. I believe its best not to worry what method your using, only the outcome and its benefits should they be judged on. And as for a teacher, that is going to be extremely difficult due such restricted conditions.

With metta, mike
One thing to try to keep in mind - just attend to the meditation object.
As for a teacher - try http://www.buddhanet.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; to see what Theravadin centres or viharas are close to where you live.
Ven Pesala, who contributes here regularly, might be able to give you some one-on-one guidance if you approach him.
with metta,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Micheal Kush

Post by Micheal Kush »

Ben wrote:
Micheal Kush wrote:
Ben wrote:Mike,

If you are inclined towards Mahasi-style vipassana - go for it.
Come what may, painful sensations, pleasurable sensations or neutral sensations - just give it your all for at least a year.
Practice under the guidance of a teacher or an experienced kalayanamitta, and attend residential retreats when you can.
After a year - if you feel that it has been of benefit to you - continue with it.
with metta,

Ben

Well said. I believe its best not to worry what method your using, only the outcome and its benefits should they be judged on. And as for a teacher, that is going to be extremely difficult due such restricted conditions.

With metta, mike
One thing to try to keep in mind - just attend to the meditation object.
As for a teacher - try http://www.buddhanet.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; to see what Theravadin centres or viharas are close to where you live.
Ven Pesala, who contributes here regularly, might be able to give you some one-on-one guidance if you approach him.
with metta,

Ben
Thanks for the link. Defintely check it out.

With metta, mike
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Hi Michael,
Micheal Kush wrote: Thanks for the advice. I am completely clear on what my goal is, its just which is the path that I want to take and I picked this style of practice. All I needed was a head start on what to do. And even analyzing this thread, it displays a sense of uncertianty regarding what Jhana is or how do each of these methods work. Nevertheless, I'll try and I'll try till and see what happens.
I hope this discussion didn't introduce any unnecessary doubt. I think that if you look at how various ancient and modern teachers describe techniques and phenomena, rather than focussing on the terminology, many of the apparent differences become irrelevant. [Much like the story Ajahn Brahm sometimes tells about the husband and wife who are arguing about whether a particular bird is a duck or a chicken... :tongue:]

:anjali:
Mike
Micheal Kush

Post by Micheal Kush »

mikenz66 wrote:Hi Michael,
Micheal Kush wrote: Thanks for the advice. I am completely clear on what my goal is, its just which is the path that I want to take and I picked this style of practice. All I needed was a head start on what to do. And even analyzing this thread, it displays a sense of uncertianty regarding what Jhana is or how do each of these methods work. Nevertheless, I'll try and I'll try till and see what happens.
I hope this discussion didn't introduce any unnecessary doubt. I think that if you look at how various ancient and modern teachers describe techniques and phenomena, rather than focussing on the terminology, many of the apparent differences become irrelevant. [Much like the story Ajahn Brahm sometimes tells about the husband and wife who are arguing about whether a particular bird is a duck or a chicken... :tongue:]

:anjali:
Mike
This was actually my initial concern. Though I am inclined to Mahasi style, when I searched for the methods integrating jhana and vipassana I didnt see much difference. There was still an attending to the objrct except with the addition of noting other objects as well and realizing the impermanence, selflessness, and suffering of it.

I am surely certian of my goal and my practice and I'll take Bens advice to just go for it and see how it plays.

With metta, mike