Bodhi watch... or waiting for the Anguttara

Theravāda in the 21st century - modern applications of ancient wisdom
User avatar
SDC
Posts: 1057
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:08 pm
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 6
Location: North Jersey

Re: Bodhi watch... or waiting for the Anguttara

Postby SDC » Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:42 am

Just got a shipping confirmation. Says I will have it by the 26th! :woohoo:

EDIT - It has arrived!

User avatar
Moth
Posts: 157
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:22 pm
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 6
Contact:

Re: Bodhi watch... or waiting for the Anguttara

Postby Moth » Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:55 pm

It's been delayed on Amazon :cry: Where did you order it from?
May you be happy. May you be a peace. May you be free from suffering.
http://www.everythingspirals.com

User avatar
David N. Snyder
Site Admin
Posts: 8291
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:15 am
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1001
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
Contact:

Re: Bodhi watch... or waiting for the Anguttara

Postby David N. Snyder » Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:20 pm

http://www.wisdompubs.org/

http://www.wisdompubs.org/Pages/display ... n=&image=1

I got my copy. I like how it appears to have the PTS numbering equivalents written on the top of each page; that way I could eventually compare the translation with the older PTS edition. Haven't had time to go through it much yet, but I am sure it is a big improvement on the previous [PTS]translation.

dhammapal
Posts: 719
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:23 am
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 6
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: Bodhi watch... or waiting for the Anguttara

Postby dhammapal » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:33 am

The A.N. has made it Down Under! :) It even got delivered on a public holiday! :tongue:

I bought the 1934 PTS translation four months ago and I've been reading it right up until getting the new one to relieve my impatience (a form of anger). They only managed seven pages a day from July 2011 but reading the Preface I learned that there were some assistant translators involved so the translation wasn't finished in July 2011 after all. :coffee:

I've found good results come from opening at a random page although Bhikkhu Bodhi's Thematic Guide will be helpful.

With metta / dhammapal.

TessaHenley
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:06 pm
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1006

Re: Bodhi watch... or waiting for the Anguttara

Postby TessaHenley » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:38 pm

Hello!
I'm really new to this, and you all have me to interested. What exactly is the Anguttara? I see the abbreviations AN and SN everywhere. Can someone fill me in on what they are?

Much appreciated!

User avatar
LonesomeYogurt
Posts: 900
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:24 pm
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1006
Location: America

Re: Bodhi watch... or waiting for the Anguttara

Postby LonesomeYogurt » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:03 pm

TessaHenley wrote:Hello!
I'm really new to this, and you all have me to interested. What exactly is the Anguttara? I see the abbreviations AN and SN everywhere. Can someone fill me in on what they are?

Much appreciated!

The Anguttara is one of five Nikayas, or groups of suttas. Suttas are the vague equivalent of sermons. The five Nikayas are the Dingha, Majjhima, Samyutta (that's the SN you see around), Anguttara (AN), and Khuddaka.

Each Nikaya is between a thousand and four thousand pages long and contain hundreds of suttas.

The Nikayas are written in Pali, which is the ancient language in which the Buddha's teachings were first written.

Bhikkhu Bodhi is an American monk who is currently trying to translate the entire Suttapitika (literally "basket of suttas," referring to the entire collection of the Buddha's sermons) into English; he's already done the Majjhima, and Samyutta and we are all excited for the Anguttara to come out soon!
Gain and loss, status and disgrace,
censure and praise, pleasure and pain:
these conditions among human beings are inconstant,
impermanent, subject to change.

Knowing this, the wise person, mindful,
ponders these changing conditions.
Desirable things don’t charm the mind,
undesirable ones bring no resistance.

His welcoming and rebelling are scattered,
gone to their end,
do not exist.
- Lokavipatti Sutta

Stuff I write about things.

TessaHenley
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:06 pm
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1006

Re: Bodhi watch... or waiting for the Anguttara

Postby TessaHenley » Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:27 am

LonesomeYogurt wrote:
TessaHenley wrote:Hello!
I'm really new to this, and you all have me to interested. What exactly is the Anguttara? I see the abbreviations AN and SN everywhere. Can someone fill me in on what they are?

Much appreciated!

The Anguttara is one of five Nikayas, or groups of suttas. Suttas are the vague equivalent of sermons. The five Nikayas are the Dingha, Majjhima, Samyutta (that's the SN you see around), Anguttara (AN), and Khuddaka.

Each Nikaya is between a thousand and four thousand pages long and contain hundreds of suttas.

The Nikayas are written in Pali, which is the ancient language in which the Buddha's teachings were first written.

Bhikkhu Bodhi is an American monk who is currently trying to translate the entire Suttapitika (literally "basket of suttas," referring to the entire collection of the Buddha's sermons) into English; he's already done the Majjhima, and Samyutta and we are all excited for the Anguttara to come out soon!



Thank you! Thank you! Your insight is much appreciated!

User avatar
xinuflux
Posts: 23
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:50 am
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 6
Location: S. Eastern USA
Contact:

Re: Bodhi watch... or waiting for the Anguttara

Postby xinuflux » Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:45 pm

I see the to-be-available-soon Kindle version is MORE?! expensive than the hardcopy. Amazon Lobha. http://www.amazon.com/The-Numerical-Discourses-Buddha-Translation/dp/1614290407

User avatar
Moth
Posts: 157
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:22 pm
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 6
Contact:

Re: Bodhi watch... or waiting for the Anguttara

Postby Moth » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:23 pm

Kindle version seems to be down to $40.
May you be happy. May you be a peace. May you be free from suffering.
http://www.everythingspirals.com

User avatar
Ben
Site Admin
Posts: 16348
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:49 am
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1001
Location: Land of the sleeping gods
Contact:

Re: Bodhi watch... or waiting for the Anguttara

Postby Ben » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:47 pm

Moth wrote:Kindle version seems to be down to $40.


Ah yes, but are the end notes hot-linked to the text??
I do love the kindle but I don't like the pain-in-the-backside routine of going to an end note and back again.
kind regards,

Ben
Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.

Taṃ nadīhi vijānātha:
sobbhesu padaresu ca,
saṇantā yanti kusobbhā,
tuṇhīyanti mahodadhī.

Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia
e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com

User avatar
xinuflux
Posts: 23
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:50 am
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 6
Location: S. Eastern USA
Contact:

Re: Bodhi watch... or waiting for the Anguttara

Postby xinuflux » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:49 pm

Ben wrote:
Ah yes, but are the end notes hot-linked to the text??
I do love the kindle but I don't like the pain-in-the-backside routine of going to an end note and back again.
kind regards,



If I'm interpreting your question correctly, I would say yes because the Samyutta Kindle version had all its amazing end notes hyperlinked.

I'm hoping the accented characters (macrons, etc.) display correctly on all devices. Guess we won't know anything for sure until November 13 when it's available for download.

User avatar
mettafuture
Posts: 380
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:13 pm
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 6

Re: Bodhi watch... or waiting for the Anguttara

Postby mettafuture » Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:51 pm

Wow! I had no idea the AN had been published!

:clap:

Will be ordering very soon. Thank you for this thread.


Return to “Theravāda for the modern world”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests