Confused about likelihood of human rebirth

An open and inclusive investigation into Buddhism and spiritual cultivation
tiltbillings

Re: Confused about likelihood of human rebirth

Postby tiltbillings » Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:23 am

Digity wrote:No, I don't think I'm a sotapanna....but sometimes you read the description of a sotapanna and think to yourself that maybe it's possible.
Yep.

++++++++++++++++
This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

There is freedom from birth, freedom from becoming, freedom from making, freedom from conditioning. If there were not this freedom from birth, freedom from becoming, freedom from making, freedom from conditioning, then escape from that which is birth, becoming, making, conditioning, would not be known here. -- Ud 80

Ar scáth a chéile a mhaireas na daoine.
People live in one another’s shelter.

dheamhan a fhios agam
Damned if I know.

whynotme

Postby whynotme » Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:50 am

Digity wrote:
whynotme wrote:
Digity wrote:We should create "The great stream winner debate" thread.

Dear Digity,

Maybe you feel that I am attacking your sotapanna achievement, but actually I am not. I only talked about the view: there is no self, which involved your sotapanna claim. The fact is that I talked very little about your claim as well

Well, if you think there is no self is true, you are right, I am wrong and you don't need to discuss with others then feel free to let me know, I will stop chit chatting with you

Regards

No, I don't think I'm a sotapanna....but sometimes you read the description of a sotapanna and think to yourself that maybe it's possible. That's all I'm saying.

OK, it is possible, but I don't think you are a sotapanna if you think there is no self. Well, I just want the best for you, if you think you are right, I am wrong, then feel free to point it out, it will help me to know my mistake

Regards
Please stop following me

santa100

Postby santa100 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:30 pm

Ven. Thanissaro wrote a great essay on the notion of anatta here: http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... self2.html

Return to “Open Dhamma”