Happy to be here

Introduce yourself to others at Dhamma Wheel.

Happy to be here

Postby Jechbi » Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:45 am

Thank you very much for creating this wonderful space.

I am a student of SN Goenka. I took my first 10-day course in 2004 after seeing Goenkaji speak in the United States during his tour here. I regard myself as a new "old student," and I recognize that I have much to learn.

My engagement with Buddhism predates my encounter with Goenka. Through marriage, I have direct, daily association with individuals (including my wife) who identify as Buddhist. I feel a strong affinity with many forms of Buddhism. I have deep respect for other traditions. I particularly appreciate Lojong mind training. In addition, Thich Nhat Hanh's writing touches me. Chanting Nam Myōhō Renge Kyō touches me. I can't fully explain or describe what moves inside me when I encounter these widely varied teachings. But I practice Theravadan Dhamma, at least as far as my determination at this stage takes me.

I am a father, a professional journalist and a small-business owner. I'm 42 years old. I've posted a few times on the other forum, and at times I've been argumentative, silly, irrelevant, uninformed or simply absent. But I recognize the hard work that Ben, Retro, Bhante and the others have given to that effort, and I value what all of you are trying to create here.

Metta
:)
Rain soddens what is kept wrapped up,
But never soddens what is open;
Uncover, then, what is concealed,
Lest it be soddened by the rain.
Jechbi

Re: Happy to be here

Postby retrofuturist » Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:43 am

Greetings Jechbi,

Lovely to see you here, and lovely also to hear a bit about yourself, after having seen you around the place.

I too have done a 10-day Goenka course (May 2007, I think) and it was one of the most rewarding experiences of my life, even if my practice now is more specifically aligned to the suttas than it is to Mr. Goenka's technique.

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Re: Happy to be here

Postby Ben » Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:13 pm

Hi Jechbi

Welcome! I am so happy you are here!
Its just a small space in which to discuss and discover that which we love.
Metta

Ben
"One cannot step twice into the same river, nor can one grasp any mortal substance in a stable condition, but it scatters and again gathers; it forms and dissolves, and approaches and departs."

- Hereclitus

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Return to Introductions