Dictionary of Pali Proper Names

A forum for members who wish to develop a deeper understanding of the Pali Canon and associated Commentaries, which for discussion purposes are both treated as authoritative.

Moderator: Mahavihara moderator

Dictionary of Pali Proper Names

Postby Bhikkhu Pesala » Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:06 am

I have completed the second phase of updating the DPPN.

Except on the Index pages, where diacritics are not used to make page searching easier, most of the Pāli spellings have now been corrected. The names of suttas have been changed to match the CSCD Tipiṭaka to make finding them easier, and footnotes have been added to some of the longer articles to reduce the clutter.

There indexes to the Jātka, Dīgha Nikyāya, Majjhima Nikāya, and Sutta Nipāta.

Its now at a stage where I am happy to leave it has it is, but I welcome any feedback, particularly reports of any broken links.
AIM WebsitePāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
Bhikkhu Pesala

Re: Dictionary of Pali Proper Names

Postby Ben » Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:51 am

Thank you, Bhante!
:anjali:
"One cannot step twice into the same river, nor can one grasp any mortal substance in a stable condition, but it scatters and again gathers; it forms and dissolves, and approaches and departs."

- Heraclitus

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Postby gavesako » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:44 am

There seems to be a missing "i" on the first page:
This online edition includes the diacritical marks (accents) required for the correct spelling of Pāl

:reading:
Bhikkhu Gavesako
Kiṃkusalagavesī anuttaraṃ santivarapadaṃ pariyesamāno... (MN 26)

ajahnchah.org - Teachings of Ajahn Chah in many languages
Dhammatube - Videos on Buddhist practice
Ancient Buddhist Texts - Translations and history of Pali texts
gavesako

Postby mikenz66 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:16 am

Thanks Bhante, That's a very valuable resource, which I use regularly. It's great to be able to look up someone and get all the suttas that he/she appears in. I can then take the page reference and plug it into http://suttacentral.net/ and often get straight to an on-line version. Or at least have an easy reference to a real book... :reading:

Mike
mikenz66

Postby theY » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:05 am

Great!!!

Note: CSCD4 beta 15 can't search in thai.
Lesson Relationship of Abhidhammatthasaṅgaha (10/31/2012)
http://tipitakanews.org/en/node/61
theY

Postby Ytrog » Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:42 am

So, from I have seen this is a pali dictionary, am I right?

Thanks for putting it online :anjali:
Suffering is asking from life what it can never give you.

mindfulness, bliss and beyond (page 8) wrote:Do not linger on the past. Do not keep carrying around coffins full of dead moments

If you see any unskillful speech (or other action) from me let me know, so I can learn from it.
Ytrog

Postby mikenz66 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:18 pm

It's a list of the names that appear in the Canon, with summaries of their lives, where their stories may be found in Vinaya, Sutta, and Commentary, which suttas were spoken to them, and so on. A very helpful reference for understanding the Canon.

Mike
mikenz66

Postby Ytrog » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:50 pm

Ah, thnx :D
Suffering is asking from life what it can never give you.

mindfulness, bliss and beyond (page 8) wrote:Do not linger on the past. Do not keep carrying around coffins full of dead moments

If you see any unskillful speech (or other action) from me let me know, so I can learn from it.
Ytrog

Postby Bhikkhu Pesala » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:19 pm

I have updated a number of the longer articles with footnotes, and more cross-references to other articles. If you don't know how to find references in the translations, an explanation and illustration is given after the footnotes.

The average reader doesn't need to see these references at all while reading the article, but the references are useful for those who do want to read a quote in its full context.

This is a convenient place to report broken links or glaring errors. Please provide a link to the page where you found the error.
AIM WebsitePāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
Bhikkhu Pesala

Return to Classical Theravāda