YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Dalai Lama quote - Dhamma Wheel

Dalai Lama quote

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths. What can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
CoreyNiles92

Dalai Lama quote

Postby CoreyNiles92 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:55 pm

"In the West, I do not think it advisable to follow Buddhism. Changing religions is not like changing professions. Excitement lessens over the years, and soon you are not excited, and then where are you? Homeless inside yourself."

I wonder what he meant by this, would anyone care to enlighten me?

equilibrium

Re: Dalai Lama quote

Postby equilibrium » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:21 pm

Do you have the source?

He is talking about true commitment, generally, if one is already on another religion then why would Buddhism be any different for them over the years, what makes them think that they will make it. Excited is based on reaction hence jumping ship.....more importantly why did one take up religion in the first place?.....eventually one usually being "Homeless" in the process.....someone not truly benefited from the religion.

mikenz66

Postby mikenz66 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:25 pm

David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby David N. Snyder » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:47 pm

Context is important and as Mike's reference shows he was speaking to a Catholic University and probably didn't want to come across as a missionary to convert them.

If we do read it literally, then I disagree with the Dalai Lama. He is a well-deserved respected teacher, but he comes from a very traditional-cultural, homogenous society (Tibet). Many of us come from diverse backgrounds and have more choices. Some in the West are born into families with no religion and no religious upbringing. For them, what is the religion that they are to stay in?

And some of us just don't want the cultural baggage that we were raised in and are not looking to adopt another one either. Among many in the West who adopt Theravada / vipassana, do so without any cultural baggage and just focus on the Dhamma teachings of Buddha. I admire the Dalai Lama, but as a Theravadin I would rather take advice from Bhikkhu Bodhi, Ajahn Brahm, Bhante Dhammanando, Bhikkhu Pesala, Ven. Appicchato, Bhikkhu Samahita, and other Theravada teachers (who left their birth religions).

mikenz66

Postby mikenz66 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:12 pm

While I'm not a follower of the Dalai Lama, I think he does a great job of speaking according to context. He came here after our earthquakes, was introduced by the Anglican Bishop, and gave an extremely positive talk. There was enough in there that one could recognise his wisdom in a Buddhist sense, but he did a lot more good for an audience of 5000 or so by concentrating on his non-Buddhist audience than he would by giving a technical presentation.

In recent Dhamma talks:
http://feeds.amaravati.org/AmaravatiTalks
I think in this one as well as others:
Ajahn Amaro: Buddhism in Britain in the next 200 years (2012)
[Which is a very interesting talk in it's own right...]
Ajahn Amaro mentioned that he was at a Buddhist meeting, where they were discussing some sort of rules of conduct for Dharma teachers. From memory what he said was that the draft had the first duty of teachers being to spread Buddhism. The Dalai Lama disagreed, the first duty was, he said, to encourage all people to be more kind and compassionate. :heart:

:anjali:
Mike

LonesomeYogurt

Postby LonesomeYogurt » Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:43 pm

With all due respect, a part of me wonders whether or not the Dalai Lama has anything to say anymore besides the most basic platitudes. I think, at least in America, he's become so much the adopted poster child for the liberal post-religious movement that he seems afraid, or at least uninterested, to voice any opinion that could even possibly paint Buddhism as anything but a rationalist secular humanism. I'm honestly confused about what he is trying to accomplish.
Gain and loss, status and disgrace,
censure and praise, pleasure and pain:
these conditions among human beings are inconstant,
impermanent, subject to change.

Knowing this, the wise person, mindful,
ponders these changing conditions.
Desirable things don’t charm the mind,
undesirable ones bring no resistance.

His welcoming and rebelling are scattered,
gone to their end,
do not exist.
- Lokavipatti Sutta

Kusala

Postby Kusala » Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:32 am

"He, the Blessed One, is indeed the Noble Lord, the Perfectly Enlightened One;
He is impeccable in conduct and understanding, the Serene One, the Knower of the Worlds;
He trains perfectly those who wish to be trained; he is Teacher of gods and men; he is Awake and Holy. "

--------------------------------------------
"The Dhamma is well-expounded by the Blessed One,
Apparent here and now, timeless, encouraging investigation,
Leading to liberation, to be experienced individually by the wise. "

mikenz66

Postby mikenz66 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:35 am

darvki

Postby darvki » Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:52 am

waimengwan

Postby waimengwan » Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:42 am

Buddhism is actually not focused on converting others it is about trying to bring the truth to others. And many people can get very excited about the new 'toy' as in Buddhism, but there is a Chinese saying that goes 'New Toilet' - everyone is very excited when they get a new toilet/swanking toilet. Now that I have written it, hmmm the cultural context may not be as appropriate. But perhaps many people who are used to the concept of a permanent self or Judeo Christian God thoeries it will be difficult to accept Buddhist doctrines.

barcsimalsi

Postby barcsimalsi » Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:17 am

LonesomeYogurt

Postby LonesomeYogurt » Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:48 pm

Gain and loss, status and disgrace,
censure and praise, pleasure and pain:
these conditions among human beings are inconstant,
impermanent, subject to change.

Knowing this, the wise person, mindful,
ponders these changing conditions.
Desirable things don’t charm the mind,
undesirable ones bring no resistance.

His welcoming and rebelling are scattered,
gone to their end,
do not exist.
- Lokavipatti Sutta

David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby David N. Snyder » Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:10 pm

If everyone must remain in their birth religion then religion becomes nothing but another ethnic identity, just as we have no control over our ethnicity, we would have no control over our religion and our genes would tell us what to believe in.

Buddhism is not like that and is universal, allowing and encouraging others to join us on the Path.

“Wander forth, O bhikkhus, for the welfare of the multitude, for the happiness of the multitude, out of compassion for the world, for the good, welfare, and happiness of devas and humans. Let not two go the same way. Teach, O bhikkhus, the Dhamma that is good in the beginning, good in the middle, good in the end, with the right meaning and phrasing.” Samyutta Nikaya 4.453

ignobleone

Postby ignobleone » Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:15 pm

darvki

Postby darvki » Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:18 am

Buckwheat

Postby Buckwheat » Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:24 pm

Sotthī hontu nirantaraṃ - May you forever be well.

Kamran

Postby Kamran » Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:18 pm

I think the Dalai Lama, and Buddhism in general, is against proselytizing. In many countries trying to convert people to Buddhism would cause a backlash from the clergy and/or religious community, so Dalai Lama is making it clear that that is not his intention.

Ajahn Sumedho also tries to diffuse this issue using a different tactic: he says people can't convert to Buddhism because Buddhism is not a belief system, its just a practice of meditating and learning how to stop your own destructive emotions.
"Silence gives answers"

Jalal ad-Din Muhammad Rumi

mikenz66

Postby mikenz66 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:13 pm

m0rl0ck

Postby m0rl0ck » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:23 pm

“The truth knocks on the door and you say, "Go away, I'm looking for the truth," and so it goes away. Puzzling.” ― Robert M. Pirsig

David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby David N. Snyder » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:55 pm

Return to “Connections to Other Paths”