Should I stop with snuff even If I cant?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
villkorkarma

Should I stop with snuff even If I cant?

Post by villkorkarma »

Hi
Why should I stop with snuff? What is ignorans, in detail?
one suffer because one hasnt existed long : )
cooran

Re: Should I stop with snuff even If I cant?

Post by cooran »

Is it made from tobacco leaves? Or from something else?

With metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
CoreyNiles92

Post by CoreyNiles92 »

You're using a substance that causes cancer, amongst a wide variety of other diseases. And you do this knowingly, but do not wish to quit as you would have withdrawal effects, and would as well lose your ability to control your happiness. The fear prevents you from leaving it behind, and the fear is that leaving Samsara will leave you discontent, or with fewer pleasures than before, this is ignorance.

I smoke myself, I'm trying very hard to quit, it's not easy, I'll quit for a month, start up again once I get too sad, drop meditation for smoking, and then I'm back on the same path again.
xtracorrupt

Post by xtracorrupt »

villkorkarma wrote:Hi
Why should I stop with snuff? What is ignorans, in detail?
Yes because you have no need for it and the health risks can cause suffering for people who are attached to you

Doing snuff is ignorant unless the happiness it brings to you/other people and the suffering it prevents for you/other people is of greater value then the suffering it causes to you/other people or the happiness it prevents for you/other people, I think it is ignorant/bad karma
theres is no need for needing
villkorkarma

Post by villkorkarma »

not tobacco , snuff is something you have in your mouth under the lip, not kat. just snuff we called it in sweden. snus is the spelling in sweden.

but snuff doesnt often make me feel fear other way around but iam wrong sometimes.
S n Goenka said that you shouldnt stop snuffing if you cant handle it.
xtracorrupt

Post by xtracorrupt »

villkorkarma wrote:not tobacco , snuff is something you have in your mouth under the lip, not kat. just snuff we called it in sweden. snus is the spelling in sweden.

but snuff doesnt often make me feel fear other way around but iam wrong sometimes.
oh sorry, i was using this definition ''Powdered tobacco that is sniffed up the nostril rather than smoked: "a pinch of snuff".''
theres is no need for needing
ground

Post by ground »

villkorkarma wrote:not tobacco , snuff is something you have in your mouth under the lip, not kat. just snuff we called it in sweden. snus is the spelling in sweden.

What are you talking about? :smile:
villkorkarma

Post by villkorkarma »

little bags with nicotin that you put under your lip.
m0rl0ck

Post by m0rl0ck »

i hadnt thought about snus in forever :) i used to love ettan and roda lacket.
Statistics suggest that its not that dangerous, iirc any tobacco use carries with it a very small but not non-existent risk of pancreatic cancer from the nicotene and it cant be good for your gums. If you keep doing it your gums will probably recede, but according to the numbers there is almost zero chance that snus will cause serious health problems for you. At least the pasteurized stuff produced under swedish food prep regulations.
Still its addictive and addiction robs you of at least some of the equanimity that you might have otherwise. You might try cutting down the dose first with mini-portions instead of going cold turkey.
“The truth knocks on the door and you say, "Go away, I'm looking for the truth," and so it goes away. Puzzling.” ― Robert M. Pirsig