Sages' Biographies

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism

Sages' Biographies

Postby Will » Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:59 pm

Buddha's direct disciples I know of and some major Theravadin figures in the 19-20th centuries, but that leaves a vast period of time I am ignorant of. Aside from Buddhagosha and Ashoka there must have been many Arahants or sages that Theravadins admire.

So please give us some short bios here or references to books about sages from the Southern tradition between, say, 300 bce and 1800.
This noble eightfold path is the ancient path traveled by all the Buddhas of eons past. Nagara Sutta
Will

Re: Sages' Biographies

Postby Cittasanto » Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:06 pm

Hi Will
Arahant Upatissa who wrote the Vimuttimagga
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
With Metta
Upāsaka Cittasanto
Blog, - Some Suttas Translated, Ajahn Chah.
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."
Cittasanto

Postby Will » Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:17 pm

Manapa wrote:Hi Will
Arahant Upatissa who wrote the Vimuttimagga

Thanks Manapa.

Now maybe others will add more and fill in the blanks about Bhante Upatissa. When did he live, where did he live & any bios in English?

Good ole Wiki has a little - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Upatissa_of_Sri_Lanka. So he was a King of Lanka around 500bce.

By the way, is Buddha's parinibbana date settled firmly now? If so, what is it?
This noble eightfold path is the ancient path traveled by all the Buddhas of eons past. Nagara Sutta
Will

Postby Cittasanto » Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:06 pm

no it was about 1AD the work I mentioned was written, http://www.wisdom-books.com/ProductDeta ... 30&MATCH=1 :oops:
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
With Metta
Upāsaka Cittasanto
Blog, - Some Suttas Translated, Ajahn Chah.
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."
Cittasanto

Postby gavesako » Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:48 pm

Will wrote:Buddha's direct disciples I know of and some major Theravadin figures in the 19-20th centuries, but that leaves a vast period of time I am ignorant of. Aside from Buddhagosha and Ashoka there must have been many Arahants or sages that Theravadins admire.

As far as I know, neither Buddhaghosa nor Asoka are regarded as arahants (except as product of much later glorification).

Have you seen R. Ray's book "Buddhist Saints in India"? It deals with this subject.
Bhikkhu Gavesako
Kiṃkusalagavesī anuttaraṃ santivarapadaṃ pariyesamāno... (MN 26)

ajahnchah.org - Teachings of Ajahn Chah in many languages
Dhammatube - Videos on Buddhist practice
Ancient Buddhist Texts - Translations and history of Pali texts
gavesako

Postby Will » Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:29 pm

gavesako wrote:
Will wrote:Buddha's direct disciples I know of and some major Theravadin figures in the 19-20th centuries, but that leaves a vast period of time I am ignorant of. Aside from Buddhagosha and Ashoka there must have been many Arahants or sages that Theravadins admire.

As far as I know, neither Buddhaghosa nor Asoka are regarded as arahants (except as product of much later glorification).

Have you seen R. Ray's book "Buddhist Saints in India"? It deals with this subject.

No Bhante, I am not familiar with that title. But Reginald Ray is a Mahayanaist, so I suspect most of the saints mentioned would be of that variety. Besides the couple of blurbs I read about suggest it is more of an academic study about Buddhist sainthood. I am looking for simple biographies of Theravadin sages, that need not be Arahants, in the time frame mentioned above.

Surely such bios exist, Mahayana has traditional lives of Milarepa, Nagarjuna, Asanga, Chih-I etc. so there must be some out there giving traditional stories of revered latter-day followers of Buddha.

If little or none exist, in English, then there is a need.
Will

Return to General Theravāda discussion