In Search of The Sleeping Buddha

Post sayings and stories you find interesting or useful.

In Search of The Sleeping Buddha

Postby Kusala » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:11 am

When does he awaken... where is he?

Sleeping Buddha lies buried under the sand of crumbling civilizations
pink sandstone with emerald eyes
50...100 feet tall
his face the contour of the hills
and the lines of his feet etched in rocks
sleeping through the rise and fall of dynasties
the pinnacles of art and science
harvest and abundance
drought and famine
corruption and the resurgence of superstition
his heart the heartbeat of the earth
his breath the wind moaning
through wadis in a parched land
through warm rays of the sun
and the cold breeze of death

We search under rocks and in caves in far away lands
on treks into the mountains and jungle
everywhere but in silence
the silence of the soul

The Buddha is awake, even when sleeping
but WE are dreaming
We dream of power and glory
misery and sorrow
everything in between
we dream, and have dreams within dreams


And when the faint sound of bamboo flute in the forest
grows until it fills the temples, palaces, prisons
to the far ends of the earth
then six billion people - every man woman and child
every sentient being on earth will awaken with him
when one awakens all awaken
and Sleeping Buddha is everywhere you look:

Green Buddha - covered with moss and surrounded by giant tree roots
glistening in the rain
Snow Buddha - half frozen shadows and white in the pale moonlight
Water Buddha - coming alive among koi in ripples of the pond
Fire Buddha - flickering in the flame of 108 candles
Mountain Buddha - in the Khumbu icefall of Chomolungma
third eye jewel reflecting the lanterns
of monks who walk in the night
as the wind howls

When we awaken we find him
in the song of birds
the roots of trees
in the clouds overhead
in the ethers
in matter and in emptiness
and in the radiant flower that blooms in the heart


http://home.earthlink.net/~charleskasler/id38.html
Image

Homage to the Buddha
Thus indeed, is that Blessed One: He is the Holy One, fully enlightened, endowed with clear vision and virtuous conduct, sublime, the Knower of the worlds, the incomparable leader of men to be tamed, the teacher of gods and men, enlightened and blessed.

Homage to the Teachings
The Dhamma of the Blessed One is perfectly expounded; to be seen here and now; not delayed in
time; inviting one to come and see; onward leading (to Nibbana); to be known by the wise, each for himself.
User avatar
Kusala
 
Posts: 450
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:02 am

Re: In Search of The Sleeping Buddha

Postby yawares » Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:22 pm

Dear Kusala,

Thank you so much for the beautiful article... :candle: sadhu..sadhu..sadhu! :candle:

http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/i ... ing+buddha

yawares :anjali:
User avatar
yawares
 
Posts: 1532
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:23 pm

Re: In Search of The Sleeping Buddha

Postby Kusala » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:24 pm

yawares wrote:Dear Kusala,

Thank you so much for the beautiful article... :candle: sadhu..sadhu..sadhu! :candle:

http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/i ... ing+buddha

yawares :anjali:


Hi yawares. Are you familiar with the sleeping Buddha of Afghanistan?

"Somewhere in the shadow of the niches, he believes, lies a third Buddha—a 1,000-foot-long reclining colossus built at roughly the same time as the standing giants. His belief is based on a description written 1,400 years ago by a Chinese monk, Xuanzang, who visited the kingdom for several weeks. Tarzi has spent seven years probing the ground beneath the niches in search of the fabled statue..."

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/people-pl ... istan.html
Image

Homage to the Buddha
Thus indeed, is that Blessed One: He is the Holy One, fully enlightened, endowed with clear vision and virtuous conduct, sublime, the Knower of the worlds, the incomparable leader of men to be tamed, the teacher of gods and men, enlightened and blessed.

Homage to the Teachings
The Dhamma of the Blessed One is perfectly expounded; to be seen here and now; not delayed in
time; inviting one to come and see; onward leading (to Nibbana); to be known by the wise, each for himself.
User avatar
Kusala
 
Posts: 450
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:02 am

Re: In Search of The Sleeping Buddha

Postby yawares » Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:12 pm

Kusala wrote:
yawares wrote:Dear Kusala,

Thank you so much for the beautiful article... :candle: sadhu..sadhu..sadhu! :candle:

http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/i ... ing+buddha

yawares :anjali:


Hi yawares. Are you familiar with the sleeping Buddha of Afghanistan?

"Somewhere in the shadow of the niches, he believes, lies a third Buddha—a 1,000-foot-long reclining colossus built at roughly the same time as the standing giants. His belief is based on a description written 1,400 years ago by a Chinese monk, Xuanzang, who visited the kingdom for several weeks. Tarzi has spent seven years probing the ground beneath the niches in search of the fabled statue..."

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/people-pl ... istan.html


Dear Kusala,
No, I don't know much about Buddha statues in Afghanistan...but once I read the news about the Taliban bombed the big standing Buddha statue...very sad...that statue was so precious as an antique/history.

Thanks for the link, :thanks:
yawares :anjali:
User avatar
yawares
 
Posts: 1532
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:23 pm

Re: In Search of The Sleeping Buddha

Postby Kusala » Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:30 am

yawares wrote:
Kusala wrote:
yawares wrote:Dear Kusala,

Thank you so much for the beautiful article... :candle: sadhu..sadhu..sadhu! :candle:

http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/i ... ing+buddha

yawares :anjali:


Hi yawares. Are you familiar with the sleeping Buddha of Afghanistan?

"Somewhere in the shadow of the niches, he believes, lies a third Buddha—a 1,000-foot-long reclining colossus built at roughly the same time as the standing giants. His belief is based on a description written 1,400 years ago by a Chinese monk, Xuanzang, who visited the kingdom for several weeks. Tarzi has spent seven years probing the ground beneath the niches in search of the fabled statue..."

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/people-pl ... istan.html


Dear Kusala,
No, I don't know much about Buddha statues in Afghanistan...but once I read the news about the Taliban bombed the big standing Buddha statue...very sad...that statue was so precious as an antique/history.

Thanks for the link, :thanks:
yawares :anjali:


I never heard of the sleeping of Buddha of Afghanistan until I came across this video on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDJSMtFiu5Q
Image

Homage to the Buddha
Thus indeed, is that Blessed One: He is the Holy One, fully enlightened, endowed with clear vision and virtuous conduct, sublime, the Knower of the worlds, the incomparable leader of men to be tamed, the teacher of gods and men, enlightened and blessed.

Homage to the Teachings
The Dhamma of the Blessed One is perfectly expounded; to be seen here and now; not delayed in
time; inviting one to come and see; onward leading (to Nibbana); to be known by the wise, each for himself.
User avatar
Kusala
 
Posts: 450
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:02 am

Re: In Search of The Sleeping Buddha

Postby yawares » Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:48 pm

I never heard of the sleeping of Buddha of Afghanistan until I came across this video on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDJSMtFiu5Q[/quote]

Dear Kusala,

I :heart: this video-clip, It's so amazing. Please let me post your article/link/youtube @ SariputtaDhamma/JTN...members there would love/appreciate it. :anjali:

yawares :thanks:
User avatar
yawares
 
Posts: 1532
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:23 pm

Re: In Search of The Sleeping Buddha

Postby Kusala » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:29 pm

yawares wrote:I never heard of the sleeping of Buddha of Afghanistan until I came across this video on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDJSMtFiu5Q


Dear Kusala,

I :heart: this video-clip, It's so amazing. Please let me post your article/link/youtube @ SariputtaDhamma/JTN...members there would love/appreciate it. :anjali:

yawares :thanks:[/quote]

You're more than welcome.
Image

Homage to the Buddha
Thus indeed, is that Blessed One: He is the Holy One, fully enlightened, endowed with clear vision and virtuous conduct, sublime, the Knower of the worlds, the incomparable leader of men to be tamed, the teacher of gods and men, enlightened and blessed.

Homage to the Teachings
The Dhamma of the Blessed One is perfectly expounded; to be seen here and now; not delayed in
time; inviting one to come and see; onward leading (to Nibbana); to be known by the wise, each for himself.
User avatar
Kusala
 
Posts: 450
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:02 am


Return to Dhammic Stories

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest