A theory?

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
xtracorrupt

A theory?

Post by xtracorrupt »

yesterday i realized nothing else matters but being happy and making sure other people are happy and healthy

I think I'm gonna start building my decisions/life around this theory, cause even if i can't be happy then i can at least make other people be happy :) cause there happiness has equal value
theres is no need for needing
Yana

Re: A theory?

Post by Yana »

Hi,

If you are good to yourself,
you are good to others.
If you are good to others,
you are good to yourself.

:anjali:
Life is preparing for Death
xtracorrupt

Post by xtracorrupt »

Yana wrote:Hi,

If you are good to yourself,
you are good to others.
If you are good to others,
you are good to yourself.

Hi Yana,

Yes, thats why its important to keep a good health even if u need no longer to stay in this world, because others may be attached to you and your departure could cause suffering. Why not spend ur life trying to help other people be happy? Is it not possible that inflicting suffering, limiting happiness of others/urself could be bad karma, that doing nothing relating to causing happiness/suffering be neutral karma and that causing happiness, stopping suffering be good karma?

If your good to yourself would you not have the need to cause suffering and therefore only have reason to cause happiness?

if your good to others why would u not have reason to be good to yourself unless it interferes with the happiness of other people?

LonesomeYogurt

Post by LonesomeYogurt »

SN 47.19 wrote:Monks, a frame of reference is to be practiced with the thought, 'I'll watch after myself.' A frame of reference is to be practiced with the thought, 'I'll watch after others.' When watching after oneself, one watches after others. When watching after others, one watches after oneself.
Gain and loss, status and disgrace,
censure and praise, pleasure and pain:
these conditions among human beings are inconstant,
impermanent, subject to change.

Knowing this, the wise person, mindful,
ponders these changing conditions.
Desirable things don’t charm the mind,
undesirable ones bring no resistance.

His welcoming and rebelling are scattered,
gone to their end,
do not exist.
- Lokavipatti Sutta

Stuff I write about things.
xtracorrupt

Post by xtracorrupt »

LonesomeYogurt wrote:
SN 47.19 wrote:Monks, a frame of reference is to be practiced with the thought, 'I'll watch after myself.' A frame of reference is to be practiced with the thought, 'I'll watch after others.' When watching after oneself, one watches after others. When watching after others, one watches after oneself.
Ah yes, I think i understand this perspective

but to watch after oneself and therefore watching after others, one must deem watching after others important?
Goofaholix

Post by Goofaholix »

xtracorrupt wrote:yesterday i realized nothing else matters but being happy and making sure other people are happy and healthy

I think I'm gonna start building my decisions/life around this theory, cause even if i can't be happy then i can at least make other people be happy :) cause there happiness has equal value
One potential flaw with this is that the english word "happy" is very fuzzy. It can potentially cover off everything from frivilous euphoria based on getting something you thought you wanted but is ultimately driven by greed and or good for you to a deep contentment with the way things are based on wisdom.

You want to be going for the latter.
Pronouns (no self / not self)
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.”
― Ajahn Chah
ground

Post by ground »

xtracorrupt wrote:yesterday i realized nothing else matters but being happy and making sure other people are happy and healthy

Can you really make sure that other people are happy and healthy?
If your happiness depends on your success of making others are happy and healthy then this may entail unhappiness. :sage:
Digity

Post by Digity »

If you don't know what it takes to make yourself happy what makes you think you can make others happy? Being happy yourself will naturally lead to others being happy around you.
xtracorrupt

Post by xtracorrupt »

Digity wrote:

If you don't know what it takes to make yourself happy what makes you think you can make others happy? Being happy yourself will naturally lead to others being happy around you.
Yes, bravo on your right view, you should work to have a understandment on suffering in order to rid it from yourself and then other people

Eventually you will be free of suffering and your only desire should be to rid people of there suffering/bring them happiness.