Buddhist with good understanding of their religion needed!

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
bsmiley96

Buddhist with good understanding of their religion needed!

Post by bsmiley96 »

Hi, my name is Brandon :hello: and i have an assignment for school in which i have to interview a person of another religion ( I am Roman catholic) and i would really like to interview someone of the Buddhist faith because the very little i do know about Buddhism, i think is extremely interesting and would absolutely love to learn more! :sage:

if you could please take a few minutes to answer the following and post them in the thread it would be a huge help!

1- What do you think the most fundamental aspect(s) of your religion is ?
2- what do you want other to know about your religion
3-what do you think is the most unique aspect of your religion is?
4- what makes you a strong believer in your faith?
5-what are some of your religious traditions, rituals? and which do you favor most?
6- what are some symbols of your religion, and what do they symbolize?
7- Does your religion provide a guide for your future path?
8- what do you believe about diety/ies?
8- do you pray? if so how do you pray?
9- what are your thoughts on Christianity, specifically Catholicism
10- what is your favorite concept in your religion?
11- in the area that you live in, how large is the buddhist community?

For those of your who answer, Thaank you for your time!!!! :namaste:
LonesomeYogurt

Re: Buddhist with good understanding of their religion needed!

Post by LonesomeYogurt »

"The avoidance of any evil,
the performance of what is good,
the purifying of one's own mind:
this is the teaching
of the Buddhas."

That Buddhism is rational, compassionate path to freedom from suffering.

Buddhism rejects the idea of a soul or permanent self, which is fairly rare for most religions.

The beautiful, reasonable, and compassionate teachings of the Buddha that have helped me find happiness and peace in my present life.

5-what are some of your religious traditions, rituals? and which do you favor most?

Buddhism is not a religion that puts a heavy emphasis on ritual, but meditation is the core of Buddhist practice, and I enjoy it very much.

We are known for our Dhamma Wheel, which symbolizes the Noble Eightfold Path of Right View, Right Intention, Right Speech, Right Action, Right Livelihood, Right Effort, Right Mindfulness, and Right Concentration.

I'm not sure exactly what this means?

Most Buddhists believe that heavenly beings, which we call Devas, exist, but they are just like us; subject to aging, death, suffering, and rebirth according to their deeds. We don't worship them.

I wouldn't say I pray, but I do meditate.

I think Jesus was a very compassionate and wise man, but I think that theism is Wrong View and a path to suffering.

My favorite concept would be emptiness - the idea that all things are dependent on each other, impermanent and lacking in essential self.

There are probably about 50 Buddhists in my Idaho town.

Let me know if I can clarify any of those answers!
Gain and loss, status and disgrace,
censure and praise, pleasure and pain:
these conditions among human beings are inconstant,
impermanent, subject to change.

Knowing this, the wise person, mindful,
ponders these changing conditions.
Desirable things don’t charm the mind,
undesirable ones bring no resistance.

His welcoming and rebelling are scattered,
gone to their end,
do not exist.
- Lokavipatti Sutta

Stuff I write about things.
befriend

Post by befriend »

1 virtue
2 it is hard work it is not hippy dippy/flakey
3 no God
4 if you study it you will develop a love for buddha, its the most extensive body of writing known to man
5 reciting the 5 rememberances
6 a lion with 4 heads looking in the 4 directions, symbolizes the fearlessness of buddha and the roar symbolizes the teachings and how powerful they are
7 i dont know what you mean
8 sometimes i do just wish people to get better if they are ill
9 no comment
10 the amount of information covers so much ground
Take care of mindfulness and mindfulness will take care of you.
bsmiley96

Post by bsmiley96 »

LonesomeYogurt wrote:1- What do you think the most fundamental aspect(s) of your religion is ?

"The avoidance of any evil,
the performance of what is good,
the purifying of one's own mind:
this is the teaching
of the Buddhas."

That Buddhism is rational, compassionate path to freedom from suffering.

Buddhism rejects the idea of a soul or permanent self, which is fairly rare for most religions.

The beautiful, reasonable, and compassionate teachings of the Buddha that have helped me find happiness and peace in my present life.

Buddhism is not a religion that puts a heavy emphasis on ritual, but meditation is the core of Buddhist practice, and I enjoy it very much.

We are known for our Dhamma Wheel, which symbolizes the Noble Eightfold Path of Right View, Right Intention, Right Speech, Right Action, Right Livelihood, Right Effort, Right Mindfulness, and Right Concentration.

I'm not sure exactly what this means?

Most Buddhists believe that heavenly beings, which we call Devas, exist, but they are just like us; subject to aging, death, suffering, and rebirth according to their deeds. We don't worship them.

I wouldn't say I pray, but I do meditate.

I think Jesus was a very compassionate and wise man, but I think that theism is Wrong View and a path to suffering.

My favorite concept would be emptiness - the idea that all things are dependent on each other, impermanent and lacking in essential self.

There are probably about 50 Buddhists in my Idaho town.

Let me know if I can clarify any of those answers!
Thank you A million! i'm sorry for missing this before but it seems i have a few more questions if you could answer them i would be very grateful!!!
1- According to your religion, what is the problem for humans (our dilema or flaw, etc) and what is the cause of this problem?
2- According to your religion what is the ideal state, goal or "ultimacy" for individuals?
3- What are the methods or means by which this ideal is achieved?
and i agree #7 did not make sense so just ignore it! :D
LonesomeYogurt

Post by LonesomeYogurt »

bsmiley96 wrote:Thank you A million! i'm sorry for missing this before but it seems i have a few more questions if you could answer them i would be very grateful!!!
1- According to your religion, what is the problem for humans (our dilema or flaw, etc) and what is the cause of this problem?
2- According to your religion what is the ideal state, goal or "ultimacy" for individuals?
and i agree #7 did not make sense so just ignore it! :D
The problem for human beings is suffering, and the cause of this problem is our desire or attachment. The Buddha taught that all things that exist, from mountains and mighty empires to thoughts and feelings and sensations, are all impermanent and uncontrollable. When we cling to these things, and mistake them for permanent and pretend they are under our control, then we suffer because of our ignorance. If we cling to and crave sensual pleasure, which is impermanent and out of our control, we suffer when we lose it; if we cling to and crave things like power or wealth or sex appeal, which are all impermanent and out of our control, we suffer when we lose them; if we cling to and crave the idea of "This is me, this is mine," then we suffer.

But if we can realize that all things really are just dependent on other things, like foam on the waves of an ocean, arising and ceasing in accordance with their conditions, then we can get rid of the ignorance that makes us run for one lump of foam or another. If you were building a house on what you thought was firm, solid concrete, and then slowly you chipped away at the paint until you saw that it was really just styrofoam, would you still want to build a house there or would you just naturally lose interest in doing so because you knew that it wouldn't turn out well? Buddhism is just that; slowly chipping away at our ignorance and seeing the true nature of things. Once you do, you naturally lose desire for the impermanent and unsatisfactory.

The ideal state is that of an Arahant, a person who has removed the unwholesome qualities of greed, hatred, and ignorance that make us suffer. The Buddha was an arahant, or Enlightened One. An enlightened person does not suffer because they are not attached to anything. They simply live, neither disliking or liking, just existing, full of joy and compassion and love and wisdom. Buddhists revere enlightened beings greatly, much like Catholics would revere saints.

The method to reach enlightenment is the Noble Eightfold path, which I described above. The Noble Eightfold Path can be broken up into three parts: Right Speech, Right Action and Right Livelihood make up the section on ethical living. Once you have a base in morality and your mind is not clouded by the unwholesome thoughts brought about by immoral actions, you can train your mind in mindfulness and concentration. This is where meditation comes in. Buddhist meditation is all about two things: samatha and vipassana, two words that mean "calm" and "insight." When we meditate, we are trying to make the mind still and sharp and clear, and we're also trying to use that sharpened mind to see the nature of reality clearly, so that we can see impermanence and non-self, the idea that there is no "me" or "you" but only a big heap of thoughts and feelings and emotions all playing off each other. This helps us develop wisdom, the third part of the Noble Eightfold Path, Right View. Once a wise person reaches this stage of the complete eradication of ignorance, they are enlightened and free from suffering.
Gain and loss, status and disgrace,
censure and praise, pleasure and pain:
these conditions among human beings are inconstant,
impermanent, subject to change.

Knowing this, the wise person, mindful,
ponders these changing conditions.
Desirable things don’t charm the mind,
undesirable ones bring no resistance.

His welcoming and rebelling are scattered,
gone to their end,
do not exist.
- Lokavipatti Sutta

Stuff I write about things.
bsmiley96

Post by bsmiley96 »

Thanks so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :goodpost:
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

From the Dhammapada
Do not preform any unskilled acts, skilful acts are the way of a meditator.
So purify your own mind of defilements: this is the wisdom the Buddhas teach.

nothing, the question should be "What do others want to know?"

the practicability.it is a fluid practice, able to move with life without being a hindrance when held correctly.

the fruits of the practice, for myself and others

Meditation, chanting the texts. I don't have a preference they are useful in my life in different ways.

Dhamma Wheel symbolyses the eightfold path.

it provides a path to a goal, and until that is reached there is a path to be walked.

Although there are deities within Buddhism, no deity is considered useful to the path of practice within Theravada.

who would I prey to? I do reflect and use some Christian meditative techneques such as lecio Divina but no prayer in the way you would refer to.

worldly.

Do not preform any unskilled acts, skilful acts are the way of a meditator.
So purify your own mind of defilements: this is the wisdom the Buddhas teach.

Small, less than 10 in total.

Dukkha, the cause is npt seeing things as they really are in reality.

Nibbana - Enlightenment.

The Noble Eightfold Path.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Jason

Post by Jason »

bsmiley96 wrote:1- What do you think the most fundamental aspect(s) of your religion is ?
Practice. To me, Buddhism is primarily a mental and moral training that's designed to lessen suffering and lead to long-term welfare and happiness. So the most fundamental aspect for me is the noble eightfold path, which encompasses the entire path of practice of virtue (morality), concentration (meditation), and discernment (seeing things as they are).
Never really thought about it, to tell you the truth. Buddhism, being more a way of life, isn't really about evangelism, so I don't really discuss it with people who aren't already interested in it. One thing I suppose I'd like other people to know about it is that the Buddhist practice itself has a lot of practical benefits, being akin to a spiritual or philosophical form of psychology and psychotherapy, and having the potential to help make one a more stable and happier individual.
The teachings on dependent co-arising, the psychological chain of mental causation/interaction that gives rise to suffering. In The Place of Buddhism in Indian Thought, for example, Ananda Guruge writes:
  • Lastly, the contributions to Indian thought made by the Buddha should be carefully borne in mind. It was no doubt the Buddha's admirable sense of humility, which led to his statement that he was not an original thinker. His theory of Dependent Causation or Origination was the most remarkable contribution to Indian thought. It is unique in the history of philosophy.
My faith or conviction in Buddhism initially stemmed from the profound simplicity of the teachings, as well as the compelling anecdotes of monks and practitioners like Ajahn Chah. My conviction in their efficacy continued to grow after observing the beneficial changes in my own life after studying the teachings and adopting the practice of the noble eightfold path.
Buddhism is critical of the idea that rituals in and of themselves can purify one's mind and deeds of unskillfulness, and clinging to rites and rituals (or rituals and observances) as being salvific in and of themselves is something we're advised to let go off (MN 9). Instead, we're pointed towards focusing on our actions and the intentions underlying them because that's where the real work of moral and spiritual purification takes place (MN 61).

That said, there are a lot of practices, traditions, and cultural aspects to be found in Buddhism, and one of my favourites is morning and evening chanting (the chants are essentially teachings, as ancient Indians generally didn't write down things of this nature but memorized them). At monasteries, monks and nuns chant every morning and evening. They also tend to mediate in the middle or after the chanting. The chanting itself is quite lovely, and I find that chanting and meditating like that helps to brighten and relax the mind.

Other than that, meditation and the development of mindfulness is something that one is supposed to continually practice, and meditation can be quite enjoyable at times.
The Buddha is a symbol of what we're trying to achieve. Buddha is more of a title than a name; it means 'awake' or 'awakened one.' The statues of the Buddha that one often finds in homes and temples represents the potential for awakening, and show the peace and serenity of one who's removed the defilements of greed, hatred, and delusion from their minds. The Buddha isn't meant to be worshiped so much as looked up to as a model or teacher.

The other most recognizable is the already-mentioned Dhamma wheel, with the eight spokes representing the eight factors of the aforementioned eightfold path.
I suppose one could say that it does. The Buddha often described the path as a gradual training, for example (e.g., MN 107, Ud 5.5).
Buddhism generally doesn't posit an omnipotent, omniscient, creator god analogous to the Judeo-Christian God, and it seems to me that there are three main reasons why the question of God is basically a non-issue in Buddhism.

Reason #1: According to the texts, a beginning point to samsara (literally 'wandering on') isn't evident (SN 15.3). This can be interpreted two ways — that a beginning point to the continual cycle of death and rebirth of beings isn't evident, or that a beginning point to the continual cycle of death and rebirth of the conceit 'I am,' the self-identification that designates a being (satta), isn't evident — and they're not mutually exclusive. Either way, the point is the same: all that really matters in the here and now is whether suffering is present, and if so, how it can be overcome.

Reason #2: The idea of a creator God is incompatible with certain aspects and teachings that, if taken to their logical conclusion, seem to reject the idea of, or a need for, a creator God. For one thing, the logic of dependent co-arising, while primarily concerned with the psychological process by which suffering arises in the mind, negates the idea of a creator God in that it precludes a first cause or a causeless cause when applied to cosmology (think of oscillating universe theory).

Then there's this famous problem of evil passage from the Bhuridatta Jataka (although, to be fair, this is most likely a later addition that some date to the 13th century):
  • We see those rules enforced before our eyes,
    None but the Brahmans offer sacrifice,
    None but the Khattiya exercises sway,
    The Vessas plough, the Suddas must obey.
    These greedy liars propagate deceit,
    And fools believe the fictions they repeat;
    He who has eyes can see the sickening sight;
    Why does not Brahma set his creatures right?
    If his wide power no limits can restrain,
    Why is his hand so rarely spread to bless?
    Why are his creatures all condemned to pain?
    Why does he not to all give happiness?

Why do fraud, lies, and ignorance prevail?
    Why triumphs falsehood, truth and justice fail?
    I count your Brahma one of the unjust among,
    Who made a world in which to shelter wrong.
    Those men are counted pure who only kill
    Frogs, worms, bees, snakes or insects as they will,
    These are your savage customs which I hate,
    Such as Kamboja hordes might emulate.
    If he who kills is counted innocent
    And if the victim safe to heaven is sent,
    Let Brahmans Brahmans kill so all were well
    And those who listen to the words they tell.
Nevertheless, even in the earliest parts of the Pali Canon, there are references to devas (literally 'radiant ones') or what we might call 'heavenly beings.' Early Buddhism seems to have incorporated the Brahmnanic/proto-Hindu pantheon and myths, but gives them a unique spin, transforming immortal gods into non-human beings who are more powerful and long-lived than ordinary humans, but by no means eternal, omnipresent, omnipotent, etc. (e.g., see DN 1), and creation myths into Dhamma lessons (e.g., DN 27). But more importantly, they can also be viewed metaphorically as the indulgent and hedonistic aspects of our psychology (i.e., the parts that are addicted to sensual pleasures).

Personally, I'm skeptical about the existence of such beings; although I suppose it's possible they could exist, especially if string theory is correct and extra dimensions do exist, which could account for the various 'realms of existence' in Buddhist cosmology. But I tend to view them metaphorically, and as such, they don't really play much of a role in my practice besides being illustrative.
No. N/A
The short version is, while I don't believe in a creator God, nor, as a consequence, that Jesus is the son of God/God in the flesh, I do have a soft spot for him as a spiritual teacher, and I think some of the things he's reported as saying in the New Testament are pretty cool. I especially like, "Let any one of you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone" (John 8:7), the Sermon on the Mount, and his many teachings on forgiveness. I don't know much about Catholicism, but I've found certain aspects of Orthodox Christianity appealing. In addition, you can find some of my thoughts about Christianity here and here, if you're interested.
That our actions have effects, and that happiness is something we can achieve through our own efforts.
Fairly large. There's a large community of Tibetans, for example. There's also a variety of temples and meditation sitting groups in my area. The meditation group I usually sit with has at least 15-30 that people show up, more if visiting monks are in town.
12 - According to your religion, what is the problem for humans (our dilema or flaw, etc) and what is the cause of this problem?
Suffering. The cause of suffering is craving, and the cause of craving is ignorance, specifically ignorance of the four noble truths.

The way I see it, craving (tahna, literally 'thirst') is a very subtle but powerful aspect of our psychology that's directly tied to suffering. It's there, latent in the mind, waiting to exert its influence through mental fabrications by directing or at the very least encouraging the mind to feed upon sensory experiences via the five clinging-aggregates in an unhealthy way. When we're hungry, for example, our mind has a tendency to attach itself to the desire for food and create an identity around it, which can then create suffering in a number of ways, e.g., if we don't get what we want; if it doesn't live up to our expectations that we create around the attainment of our goal; if, in our greed, we eat too much and feel sick and lament our physical discomfort; etc. Craving, then, isn't simply our desire to or for X; it's the beginning of a mental chain of events that turns our desires for things into the potential for suffering.

That's part of the reason I think the Buddha basically approached the problem of mental stress and suffering like a doctor, formulating the four noble truths in the same way that ancient Indian physicians formulated medical diagnoses, i.e., disease (stress), cause (craving), prognosis (a cure/cessation of craving is possible), and treatment (the noble eightfold path).
13- According to your religion what is the ideal state, goal or "ultimacy" for individuals?
A true and lasting happiness that's not dependent on causes or conditions, i.e., the complete cessation of human mental suffering (which I think is analogous to the absence of the mental dart in SN 36.6).
- What are the methods or means by which this ideal is achieved?
See my answer to question #1.
"Sabbe dhamma nalam abhinivesaya" (AN 7.58).

leaves in the hand (Buddhist-related blog)
leaves in the forest (non-Buddhist related blog)
whynotme

Post by whynotme »

It doesn't have negative, it is good no matter at micro or large scale, short term or long term

It doesn't have negative, it is good no matter at micro or large scale, short term or long term

Seeking and learning, examining everything with an opened mind

The wheel, it is the symbol of motion, the truth, the law of the universe

Yes, it does

Yes I believe in deities' existence, but they don't mean much in my life. My life, good or bad depends on my actions.

No, I don't pray

It has some good teachings in it, it has some bad teachings in it. Catholicism is the largest religion by number of believers

Be wise, open minded. Get the result of what is done, good or bad is depends on oneself.

Most people where I live are half buddhists
Please stop following me
DAWN

Post by DAWN »

bsmiley96 wrote:Hi, my name is Brandon :hello: and i have an assignment for school in which i have to interview a person of another religion ( I am Roman catholic) and i would really like to interview someone of the Buddhist faith because the very little i do know about Buddhism, i think is extremely interesting and would absolutely love to learn more! :sage:

if you could please take a few minutes to answer the following and post them in the thread it would be a huge help!

For those of your who answer, Thaank you for your time!!!! :namaste:
You have twice the question number 8

Renunciation

That there is a way to live without suffering

Antta. Not-self.

Dhamma (the law of nature) can be directly seen and direclty observate in each fenomena.

Pindabat

Dhamma Wheel.
That symbolyse the Eightfold Path to liberation

If there is enought of kammic link - yes

They are just living beings like us, who knows birth,agging and death, like all fenomena.

Yes. I close my eyes when i seat down to meditate, i open my eyes when i stand up to continue the mouvement.

Jesus is an Saint ascetic. Good exemple to be follow.

All Buddhist concept can be experianced personaly, cant be observate directly, so there is no concept to belieave, but fenomenas to observate. I dont know what is my favorite fenomena, perharps Sun Dawn or Rainbow.

There is nobody that practice Theravada.
Sabbe dhamma anatta
We are not concurents...
I'am sorry for my english
barcsimalsi

Post by barcsimalsi »

bsmiley96 wrote: 8- what do you believe about diety/ies?