My opinion on perspective,

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
xtracorrupt

My opinion on perspective,

Post by xtracorrupt »

My opinion on importance is that happiness is right therefore a perspective can be better then another perspective if it brings more happiness

Ps, Earlier this thread was me saying nothing can be defined but i changed my mind
Last edited by xtracorrupt on Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.
theres is no need for needing
Reductor

Re: Why nobody is wrong or right

Post by Reductor »

Please define 'nothing'.
DAWN

Post by DAWN »

Only silence is "right"
Sabbe dhamma anatta
We are not concurents...
I'am sorry for my english
xtracorrupt

Post by xtracorrupt »

DAWN wrote:Only silence is "right"
How do you know this?
xtracorrupt

Post by xtracorrupt »

Reductor wrote:Please define 'nothing'.
i can't, but in this perspective its more like asking, what can be defined?
ground

Post by ground »

xtracorrupt wrote:because nothing can be defined.
No. Everything can be defined. But not every definition will be accepted by everyone. Why? Because every definition is but a suggestion which makes it easier to communicate by means of words. If at least two persons agree to a definition then it is their convention. :sage:
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

:goodpost:

Yes, that sounds right to me.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
xtracorrupt

Post by xtracorrupt »

ground wrote:
No. Everything can be defined. But not every definition will be accepted by everyone. Why? Because every definition is but a suggestion which makes it easier to communicate by means of words. If at least two persons agree to a definition then it is their convention. :sage:
But how can somebody define what is definable? How can someone have an absolute understandment of the definable?

What makes your opinion of what can defined the correct definition?
ground

Post by ground »

xtracorrupt wrote:
ground wrote:
But how can somebody define what is definable? How can someone have an absolute understandment of the definable?
The nature of convention is exactly that it is relative. No need for seeking "absolute".
xtracorrupt wrote: What makes your opinion of what can defined the correct definition?
There is no definition. A view has been expressed by means of words.
xtracorrupt

Post by xtracorrupt »

xtracorrupt wrote:
ground wrote:
Quote:(ground)The nature of convention is exactly that it is relative. No need for seeking "absolute".(maximum amount of quotes)
xtracorrupt wrote: What makes your opinion of what can defined the correct definition?
There is no definition. A view has been expressed by means of words.[/quote]

Exactly we don't need to obtain anything from anything, therefore we can keep an open mind and take everything into consideration.
ground

Post by ground »

xtracorrupt wrote:Exactly we don't need to obtain anything from anything, therefore we can keep an open mind and take everything into consideration.
I don't know what you need to obtain or you don't need to obtain, so "we" does not apply from my perspective.
Keeping an open mind does not negate the need for definitions in certain contexts. :sage:
(Actually worldly life could not be organized without definitions and may be led into chaos entailing much additional unhappiness.)
Last edited by ground on Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
Dan74

Post by Dan74 »

You can be right or wrong relative to a system of axioms or aims. So if you aim is not to get run over by a car, it is best to cross the road with care. Crossing the road carelessly would be the wrong thing to do relative to this aim.

If you aim is to come up with mathematically correct results, then you would would to use Peano axioms and rules of predicate calculus to make deductions. So Pythagoras asserting that the square of the long side of a right-angled triangle is the sum of squares of the other sides is mathematically correct, given the axioms (+Euclid's fifth axiom = flat space), it is also what we observe if we try to measure a triangular sandpit in our backyard. It is not correct if our triangle spans miles, both due to the unevenness of the terrain and more fundamentally the curves nature of the Earth.

So "right" or "wrong" are always with respect to some initial assumptions or "rules". Without them, there is no possibility of a discourse anyway.
_/|\_
pegembara

Post by pegembara »

So if it is right for a tiger to eat a deer, is it right for it to eat a small child?
And what is right speech? Abstaining from lying, from divisive speech, from abusive speech, & from idle chatter: This is called right speech.
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

pegembara wrote:So if it is right for a tiger to eat a deer, is it right for it to eat a small child?
Right from which frame of reference?
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
ground

Post by ground »

Some food for thought (inspired by D. Perdue's "Debate inTibetan buddhism", Chapter 3, i.e. partially quoted and arbitrarily amended):

Approaching "definition"

A definition may be considered to be the actual object (phenomenon) defined and necessarily refers to the definiendum which may be considered to be the name designated to that object (or designated to the phenomenon which is transformed into an object of thought by this designation). Of course since a conventional "name" in most cases evokes an idea and since the combination of "name" and idea is often referrred to as "concept" actually the definition is a verbal expression intended to standardize the idea aspect of a concept by means of a verbal delineation of what it is suggested to mean inter-individually thus trying to exclude everything else and thus suggesting a convention.

A particul definition, or characterizer, and its definiendum, or that characterized, are mutually inclusive. Mutual inclusion has two components. First the things mutually inclusive must be phenomena which are different that is they must be not exactly the same in both name and meaning. Obviously, any two mutually inclusive phenomena must be different in name, but their meaning, all the phenomena which they include or all those things to which their names can properly refer, must be just the same. The second requirement of mutually inclusive phenomena is that they be mutually pervasive; whatever is the one is necessarily the other. Both of these requirements of mutually inclusive phenomena obtain for any particular definition and its definiendum.The definition is considered to be the actual object defined and the definiendum is considered to be the name designated to that object.