Why would a monastery keep the meditation hall locked?

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
mikenz66

Re: Why would a monastery keep the meditation hall locked?

Post by mikenz66 »

Yes, none of that stiff upper lip understatement here... No Sir!

:anjali:
Mike
Yana

Post by Yana »

James the Giant wrote:Why would a monastery keep their meditation hall locked?
Let's break in and find out :smile:
Life is preparing for Death
Sylvester

Post by Sylvester »

gavesako wrote:Not all monasteries in the West follow this tradition of burying the sima stones, in England it was done simply and unceremoniously just by placing them around.

Hi Bhante

Might you have been thinking of the Chithurst sima, as recorded here -

http://www.amaravati.org/documents/citt ... first.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sylvester

Post by Sylvester »

James the Giant wrote: Now I'm curious as to why the bhikkhus didn't just say that. There seems to be, amongst some bhikkhus, a reluctance to explain some things, even when asked directly why. I wonder if that's some vinaya rule or something.
Hi James

Ben is probably correct about the language gulf.

Alternatively, it might have stemmed from the monks' recognition of a cultural gulf. For some Thai monastics, the sima does not merely demarcate the space for Sangha business/acts. It is also viewed as demarcating "sacred" space, especially if rattan and stone spheres were involved in the creation of the sima. :tongue:

Perhaps they did not want to give this culturally-loaded explanation in a non-Thai setting?
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
James the Giant wrote:I asked two of the bhikkhus why; the senior bhikkhu said because there are a lot of criminals in the area, (in the rural Yarra valley?), and the other bhikkhu shrugged and changed the subject. It seemed like there was some subtext I was unaware of... not sure what it could be.
Maybe there's a deva in there they don't want you to disturb.

:|

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."