Hurrcane Sandy

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
Yana

Hurrcane Sandy

Post by Yana »

Hi Everyone,

I am just watching the news here in Melbourne about Hurricane Sandy in the US.I hope that everyone living in that area will be okay.There is just some breaking news that thousands of people are trapped in their houses :( because they didn't pay attention to evacuation warnings. So far there has been 5 storm related deaths. :(

Friends,Let's all send them our loving thoughts,metta. :group: :heart:

:anjali:
Life is preparing for Death
Reductor

Re: Hurrcane Sandy

Post by Reductor »

Metta to my fellow Canadians who are under the sway of Sandy, and to all those Americans who are getting the brunt of the storm.

:namaste:
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

How Sandy compares with other big storms:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-10-30/i ... si/4341760

Reviving memories of Fukushima: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-10-30/a ... nt/4341980.
Maybe the stronger storms brought by climate change will hasten the end of nuclear power.

:namaste:
Kim
Cal

Post by Cal »

Kim O'Hara wrote:Maybe the stronger storms brought by climate change will hasten the end of nuclear power.
For some reason, not in the UK. :(

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20134735

Best wishes to those affected by Sandy in the US and Canada. :group:

Cal
Right Speech: It is spoken at the right time. It is spoken in truth. It is spoken affectionately. It is spoken beneficially. It is spoken with a mind of good-will. [AN 5.198]

Personally, I seem to gain the most insight when I am under the most pressure, when life is at its most unpleasant. There is something in me on those occasions which feels that there is nothing left but to be aware of 'this'. Ajahn Sumedho - Don't Take Your Life Personally, p288
Viscid

Post by Viscid »

I'm in Toronto, and while we did have lots of gusty wind and downed branches, it was just as powerful as a once-every-couple-years storm.
Last edited by Viscid on Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"What holds attention determines action." - William James
Ben

Post by Ben »

My thoughts go out to all those affected by Hurricane Sandy.
May you all be well and safe
with metta,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Khalil Bodhi

Post by Khalil Bodhi »

Pretty bad here. Sent my kids and wife to stay with family outside of the city. Some buildings have had their facades stripped off and look like life-sized doll houses. No power, no reception for Manhattan south of 26th St. I still don't thin this will convince climate change nay-sayers though. Karuna to all those who weren't as lucky, especially the 100-200 houses that burned down in Queens last night.
To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
-Dhp. 183

The Stoic Buddhist: https://www.quora.com/q/dwxmcndlgmobmeu ... pOR2p0uAdH
My Practice Blog:
http://khalilbodhi.wordpress.com
badscooter

Post by badscooter »

Living in South Jersey we took the brunt of the storm... My family and I are ok. So is our home.. But some good friends of mine were not so fortunate. One friend (who lives along a river) had his house wiped away by that same river during the storm. Another friend had his home burglarized while he evacuated it on monday night.. Trees and power lines are down everywhere.. Atlantic City boardwalk was demolished by the waves... Many people have damages to their homes and properties.. However everyone i know is physically well, which is most important.

thanks for all the well wishes

may all be well
"whatever one frequently thinks and ponders upon will be the inclination of one's mind"
cooran

Post by cooran »

Hello all,

My thoughts and best wishes are with you and your communities.
Now is the time you will be amazed by community spirit - those who were not badly affected can form voluntary working groups to help clean out inundated homes and yards of friends and complete strangers, take rubbish away, donate furniture and clothes, give emotional support, and help bring the community together.
This brought a positive 'we will not be defeated' attitude to those whose homes and workplaces were wrecked in Brisbane with our flood - it is a long process, but strengthens communities and individuals. :group:

with mahametta,
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
Wizard in the Forest

Post by Wizard in the Forest »

It's been too long, but I have missed you all, and I count myself among the lucky ones, as one man from my neighborhood died in the storm. An extra chance to reflect on impermanence and death, but it was rather daunting to face the storm. :anjali:
"One is not born a woman, but becomes one."- Simone de Beauvoir