[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Dhamma Wheel • View topic - If I have reached first Jhana is that same thing as having.?

If I have reached first Jhana is that same thing as having.?

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible.

If I have reached first Jhana is that same thing as having.?

Postby villkorkarma » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:05 pm

If I have reached first Jhana is that same thing as having reached equanimity?
dont hurt anyone in any sort of way
villkorkarma

Re: If I have reached first Jhana is that same thing as having.?

Postby James the Giant » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:11 pm

No. Dude, you gotta do some reading.
Then,
saturated with joy,
you will put an end to suffering and stress.
SN 9.11
James the Giant

Postby Cittasanto » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:39 pm

villkorkarma wrote:If I have reached first Jhana is that same thing as having reached equanimity?

nope, that would be the fourth!
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
Blog, - Some Suttas Translated, Ajahn Chah.
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."
Cittasanto

Postby mikenz66 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:43 pm

Hi villkorkarma

These definitions from the Suttas may be helpful:
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/ptf/dham ... jhana.html

:anjali:
Mike
mikenz66

Postby retrofuturist » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:50 pm

Greetings,

villkorkarma wrote:If I have reached first Jhana is that same thing as having reached equanimity?

Well, on one hand, you can have equanimity (upekkha) without any jhana at all.

However in terms of jhana it's typically the third jhana which is associated with equanimity...

With the fading away of rapture, he dwells in equanimity, mindful and discerning; and he experiences in his own person that happiness of which the noble ones say: 'Happily lives he who is equanimous and mindful' — thus he enters and dwells in the third jhana. (M.i,182; Vbh.245)"

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby James the Giant » Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:49 am

James the Giant wrote:No. Dude, you gotta do some reading.

I apologise for my rudeness... I should have learned by now to keep my mouth shut till after breakfast, when my blood sugar has risen.
Then,
saturated with joy,
you will put an end to suffering and stress.
SN 9.11
James the Giant

Postby villkorkarma » Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:12 pm

is reaching a jhana something one do when one practice mindfullness or just living a alert movement life?
How will I know If one reached the third jhana?
villkorkarma

Postby villkorkarma » Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:17 pm

I have read that if one have reached equanimity the stagnation is destroyed, how to know what that is? :thanks:
villkorkarma

Return to Discovering Theravāda