Theravada and Buddha nature

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
Bonsai Doug

Re: Theravada and Buddha nature

Post by Bonsai Doug »

Arjan Dirkse wrote:I would appreciate any reading tips...so far the only Theravada book I have read is "In the Buddha's Words" by Bhikkhu Bodhi, and I really liked it.
Thanks.
This book has been mentioned above, and represents teachings from the Theravada perspective
by one of its foremost and respected monks: Food for the Heart: The Collected Teachings of Ajahn Chah.
Now having obtained a precious human body,
I do not have the luxury of remaining on a distracted path.

~ Tibetan Book of the Dead
Arjan Dirkse

Post by Arjan Dirkse »

Bonsai Doug wrote:
Arjan Dirkse wrote:I would appreciate any reading tips...so far the only Theravada book I have read is "In the Buddha's Words" by Bhikkhu Bodhi, and I really liked it.
Thanks.
This book has been mentioned above, and represents teachings from the Theravada perspective
by one of its foremost and respected monks: Food for the Heart: The Collected Teachings of Ajahn Chah.
Thanks...

Another question, eventually I'd like to buy the Nikaya translations by Bhikkhu Bodhi, but money being tight, I can't buy them all at once.

Is there a recommended reading order for them?
LonesomeYogurt

Post by LonesomeYogurt »

Arjan Dirkse wrote:
Bonsai Doug wrote:
Thanks.
Thanks...

Another question, eventually I'd like to buy the Nikaya translations by Bhikkhu Bodhi, but money being tight, I can't buy them all at once.

For sure start with the Majjhima Nikaya. It's by far the easiest and the best introduction; aside from the first sutta, it avoids the super complex stuff and mostly focuses on the basics of the Theravada perspective.
Gain and loss, status and disgrace,
censure and praise, pleasure and pain:
these conditions among human beings are inconstant,
impermanent, subject to change.

Knowing this, the wise person, mindful,
ponders these changing conditions.
Desirable things don’t charm the mind,
undesirable ones bring no resistance.

His welcoming and rebelling are scattered,
gone to their end,
do not exist.
- Lokavipatti Sutta

Stuff I write about things.
Bonsai Doug

Post by Bonsai Doug »

Arjan Dirkse wrote:
Bonsai Doug wrote:
Thanks.
Thanks...

Not sure about an order, but you can find many of them here: http://what-buddha-said.net/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Now having obtained a precious human body,
I do not have the luxury of remaining on a distracted path.

~ Tibetan Book of the Dead